Hui Ride (car) Share

Philob

• Philob changed the title to Hui Ride (car) Share
8 minutes ago, Philob said:

Anyone use Hui Ride Share around Waikiki/ Oahu? Comments, thoughts?

Thanks

It's nearly identical to other services like ZipCar and is owned by Toyota (and features Toyota and Lexus models). The upside here is that it is ideal for shorter trips where you rent by the hour. These services become more expensive than a traditional car rental for day long or and much more expensive for multi-day reservations. 

Whether it makes sense or not will depend on how you plan to use it. 

We're planning a leisurely day loop around the island. Just wanting to get feed back on any experience with Hui.  Online reviews are 50/50.

SWMBO crunch the numbers and a traditional rental is a tad cheaper, but the locations around Waikiki close too early for return. Airport return is 24/7 but that involves transport back n' forth OR parking at the hotel at $50 a night, both negates any savings.  

Thanks for mentioning this.  I did not know about it, and I have reserved a car for our cruise in Nov.  Yes, it's pricier than an airport rental, but we can grab the car a block from the ship, and there is no additional cost in Uber fees to and from the airport.  Not to mention the time saved by not waiting in line to get the car, the trip there and back, etc.  I think it's worth it.  I have read the reviews, and I am hoping to have one of the good experiences without the hiccups, of course.  We will see. But I think it's worth a try!  We also want to do a leisurely drive around the island, so this will be very nice. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, Philob said:

Anyone use Hui Ride (car) Share around Waikiki/ Oahu? Comments, thoughts?

Thanks

I'm not sure when you are traveling, but thought I would give you an update since we are now home from our cruise.  

We had absolutely no issues with our Hui Car Share rental.  The app worked perfectly to unlock the doors and start the vehicle.  There was a bit over a quarter tank of gas in it when we got it.  (There is a requirement that you leave it with at least 1/4 tank.)  We reserved a Prius, and it was just a block from the ship.  Super easy and convenient.  There is a credit card in the car to use if you need to replace gas back up to at least quarter tank.  We went ahead and filled it up, and there was no charge to us to do so.  The car was clean and in good working condition.  

We rented for the full day.  Ended up returning it about 3 hours earlier than our reservation, and there is no adjustment to the rate for that.  The full day rate was $125.50 out the door.  A bit pricier than a rental from Avis, etc.  But the convenience was well worth it!  And as far as I know, there are currently no rental shuttles running to the airport, so you would have to pay for Uber rides to get there and back which adds to your rental cost.  Not to mention the time involved in standing in lines at the agency.  This was so simple, we will definitely do this the next time we are in Honolulu. 

We also did the circle drive around the island, taking our time and checking out the sites.  We had lunch at a North Shore shrimp truck, chocolate haupia pie from Ted's Bakery, and lots of beach time here and there.  

• 10 months later...
On 11/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, Lorabelle said:

I'm not sure when you are traveling, but thought I would give you an update since we are now home from our cruise.  

We had absolutely no issues with our Hui Car Share rental.  The app worked perfectly to unlock the doors and start the vehicle.  There was a bit over a quarter tank of gas in it when we got it.  (There is a requirement that you leave it with at least 1/4 tank.)  We reserved a Prius, and it was just a block from the ship.  Super easy and convenient.  There is a credit card in the car to use if you need to replace gas back up to at least quarter tank.  We went ahead and filled it up, and there was no charge to us to do so.  The car was clean and in good working condition.  

We rented for the full day.  Ended up returning it about 3 hours earlier than our reservation, and there is no adjustment to the rate for that.  The full day rate was $125.50 out the door.  A bit pricier than a rental from Avis, etc.  But the convenience was well worth it!  And as far as I know, there are currently no rental shuttles running to the airport, so you would have to pay for Uber rides to get there and back which adds to your rental cost.  Not to mention the time involved in standing in lines at the agency.  This was so simple, we will definitely do this the next time we are in Honolulu. 

We also did the circle drive around the island, taking our time and checking out the sites.  We had lunch at a North Shore shrimp truck, chocolate haupia pie from Ted's Bakery, and lots of beach time here and there.  

Which location did you use to pick up Hui vehicle? Which is closest to the Honolulu pier terminal 2? Thanks

We used the Aloha Tower Marketplace location.  It was the closest to pier 2 that we found.  It is super convenient for those lucky enough to call at Pier 11, as it is just steps outside the terminal building. 

From Pier 2, it's about a 3/4 mile walk, if you cut through a few parking lots, rather than go the street route that Google Maps showed us.  It's an easy walk, and we walked back to the ship in darkness and did not feel unsafe.  If you have someone who has limited mobility, maybe best to send the faster walkers to retrieve the vehicle and go back to the port area to pick up the others. 

• Thanks 1