Santorini- is walking on the volcano area no longer a thing?

budmeister

I was looking forward to walking on and around the volcano/caldera area. Only 2 excursions seems to offer this . One that discourages cruisers and one that is unexpectedly and concerningly cheap. It that not a thing to do anymore? Is sailing around it now the norm?

Was it ever a "thing to do?"  Not in my world, and we have visited Santorini many times over the last thirty+ years.  If you want to take a long hike you might want to read about walking between Oia and Fira.   Not my cup of tea, but some folks enjoy   It is about 6 miles and involves walking along the road, hiking on some trails, etc.  Allow at least 4 hours and pray it is not a hot day.

• Like 1

The entire remaining island of Santorini is the caldera of the volcano. The top was blown off in the huge eruption that destroyed bronze-age life on the island, and the rest of the volcano lies under water.

What part are you wanting to walk?

• Like 1

I suspect the OP is referring to tours/excursions to the islands in the middle of the caldera -- although their description is not detailed enough to differentiate this location from the rest of the island.  Royal Caribbean describes this experience as "Explore the volcanic history and geology of Santorini, site of an immense eruption 3,500 years ago. Trek the rocky landscape of Nea Kameni, an island in the center of the Santorini caldera, to see its smoking craters. Then soak in the soothing hot springs of Palea Kameni."  In the past, I have seen excursions offered that visit here.  But I haven't looked recently to see if they still exist, since the trip doesn't really interest me given what else there is to do on the island.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Santorini- is walking on the volcano area no longer a thing?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 10:18 AM, budmeister said:

I was looking forward to walking on and around the volcano/caldera area. Only 2 excursions seems to offer this . One that discourages cruisers and one that is unexpectedly and concerningly cheap. It that not a thing to do anymore? Is sailing around it now the norm?

We've looked into doing a trip to Nae Kameni and/or Palea Kameni, but it would mean Santorini.  Santorini has so much to offer, that for us it was no cotest.  But let us know if either of those two islets work out for you.