P&O & Princess - MDR Menus

We have cruised extensively with both Princess and P&O pre-pandemic. This year we have cruised with both lines (Coral Princess and Pacific Encounter). We feel that Princess is still a notch above P&O, but P&O is now considerably up-market compared with pre-pandemic. My comments relate to the decor in the MDR and the specialty restaurants - included in the fare on P&O. We didn't go to Dragon Lady, but the decor, menu and service in Angelos were superb.

Other differences between Princess and P&O - 

On Princess passengers can take wine on board and pay AUD$15 corkage (1 bottle per person free of charge). After paying corkage, the wine can be taken to the dining room.

In the buffet on Princess (the Horizon Court), waiters will offer to get drinks (coffee, juice etc) for you. On P&O there is no table service.

On Princess lobster is available in the MDR on the second formal night (but it is a bit 'hidden' on the menu). I think it is described as prawns. The dish is a lobster tail with prawns. They also have escargot. These aren't available on P&O.

Princess have a welcome cocktail party with the champagne waterfall in the atrium. The cocktail party was suspended for the first few cruises, but has been brought back now. P&O don't have a cocktail party. Princess also have another cocktail party later in the cruise for anyone who has sailed with them before.

That's all I can think of for now.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have cruised extensively with both Princess and P&O pre-pandemic. This year we have cruised with both lines (Coral Princess and Pacific Encounter). We feel that Princess is still a notch above P&O, but P&O is now considerably up-market compared with pre-pandemic. My comments relate to the decor in the MDR and the specialty restaurants - included in the fare on P&O. We didn't go to Dragon Lady, but the decor, menu and service in Angelos were superb.

Other differences between Princess and P&O - 

On Princess passengers can take wine on board and pay AUD$15 corkage (1 bottle per person free of charge). After paying corkage, the wine can be taken to the dining room.

In the buffet on Princess (the Horizon Court), waiters will offer to get drinks (coffee, juice etc) for you. On P&O there is no table service.

On Princess lobster is available in the MDR on the second formal night (but it is a bit 'hidden' on the menu). I think it is described as prawns. The dish is a lobster tail with prawns. They also have escargot. These aren't available on P&O.

Princess have a welcome cocktail party with the champagne waterfall in the atrium. The cocktail party was suspended for the first few cruises, but has been brought back now. P&O don't have a cocktail party. Princess also have another cocktail party later in the cruise for anyone who has sailed with them before.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thank you, some great comparison points!

Can I please ask what your thoughts were of P&O MDR dinners compared to Princess MDR dinners on standard nights? Thank you

Just now, LuckiePuris said:

Thank you, some great comparison points!

Can I please ask what your thoughts were of P&O MDR dinners compared to Princess MDR dinners on standard nights? Thank you

Not a lot of difference. Another difference is the price of wine. Princess charge approx $10 more for similar wine compared with P&O. We take our own on Princess, but with P&O, it isn't allowed.

Comparing the MDR of Princess with P&O - Definitely P&O is aiming at a younger, more contemporary look. The MDR on Princess is the same as it always was - several large oval tables that can seat 10 and several 6-top tables with a limited number of 2-top tables. White starched tablecloths are used. The MDR on the Pacific Encounter has all square or rectangular tables, most are for two people only. They don't use tablecloths even in the evening. The tables are dark slate grey, but I feel the decor has avoided the look of a factory cafeteria. I don't mind it.

On Princess we asked to share tables and were not at the same table every night. On P&O, we stayed as the same table with the same waitstaff every night. We didn't ask for this, but were very happy as our waiters were great. At the time (end of August into Sept) P&O didn't sit people at shared tables unless they were travelling together. Princess was operating the way they always have. If you want to share, they seat you at a larger table, but the option not to share is available.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Comparing the MDR of Princess with P&O - Definitely P&O is aiming at a younger, more contemporary look. The MDR on Princess is the same as it always was - several large oval tables that can seat 10 and several 6-top tables with a limited number of 2-top tables. White starched tablecloths are used. The MDR on the Pacific Encounter has all square or rectangular tables, most are for two people only. They don't use tablecloths even in the evening. The tables are dark slate grey, but I feel the decor has avoided the look of a factory cafeteria. I don't mind it.

On Princess we asked to share tables and were not at the same table every night. On P&O, we stayed as the same table with the same waitstaff every night. We didn't ask for this, but were very happy as our waiters were great. At the time (end of August into Sept) P&O didn't sit people at shared tables unless they were travelling together. Princess was operating the way they always have. If you want to share, they seat you at a larger table, but the option not to share is available.

Thats great to know, thank you!

Coral Princess has a lot more two seater tables in the MDR than I recall seeing on any other Princess ships pre-pandemic. I'm not sure if that's a recent change, I think it might be as it seems there aren't many oblong six seater tables any more. I think they've been converted into two two seaters with a small gap inbetween. It will be interesting to see if other ships have changed their layouts since Covid.

I think the Princess menus have improved since the restart. There seems to be more choice, especially in mains. The quality on Coral has been very good overall although there has been the odd strange dish - no, Princess, blue cheese sauce does not go with turkey scallopini!🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

15 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I recently did a trip report on the Coral Princess and posted 2 nights of MDR menus + lots of Horizon Court Buffet photos.  I can’t do links but click on my name and you should locate it

• Thanks 1

Depends more on the price you are paying for your cruise . Can't beat Princess drink/ net package . P&O Entertainment cast excellent and rather pay $12 for a great pizza $ 8 burger than so called free on Princess . Carnival is also back sailing , snails and pink prime rib for dinner , eggs and omelettes cooked in front of you not from a warmer but the singing and dancing. Are those Brisbane sailing prices on Lomanosa a miss print ! Loyal to royal ? A cruises is a cruise 😷