Where the bacon never takes bacation

IntrepidFromDC

8 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Hmm, smoked salmon was available on the Lido breakfast buffet every time I wandered by last week on the Horizon.   (I'd have preferred another option for Eggs Benedict.)  

Wow - another cutback - NOT.

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

Strange.....I can't remember lox on the Lido of any Carnival cruise I've taken in 10 years.  They have other deli meats, not lox.

Since 1988 neither have I. Perhaps they are referring to the alternate days of salmon/ham on the Eggs Benedict?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Since 1988 neither have I. Perhaps they are referring to the alternate days of salmon/ham on the Eggs Benedict?

I've seen both options (salmon/ham) offered on the same day recently and not alternated. I have also seen in alternated as well. Oh, and there was a big pan of bacon also. 

• Like 1

Last year a representative said that Carnival is providing the best dining experience they can with the budget they have.  I can understand and appreciate if that "experience" is not to your liking, causing you to seek out another line or cut back your Carnival bookings.

Just looking at booking statistics, there are many of us who still enjoy the Carnival product.  That includes a decent amount of Diamond and Platinum passengers, of which I am neither.  If the bacon "shortages" and other cut-backs get to a point that it affects my enjoyment, I too will curtail my sailings on Carnival.  For now, as I compare cruising options, Carnival usually comes out ahead.

I always appreciate the folks who are honest about their criticisms, helps me evaluate if their concerns are something that might affect my choices.

• Like 1

Just now, mom2tcdx2 said:

Where I have missed the bacon more was on the buys burgers.  With their toppings bar they used to have crumbled bacon you could add to a burger.  LOVED IT.  Last two cruises they didn't have it at all.  

Still don't. I found it useful to add to veggie burgers for some flavor.

• Haha 3

As someone who hasn't sailed CCL in a while, I thought this whole bacon thing was a joke until I did more research.

This is pretty bad, and I remember when they went from real juice to "juice like beverage" in the vitality machines.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, ray98 said:

Strange.....I can't remember lox on the Lido of any Carnival cruise I've taken in 10 years.  They have other deli meats, not lox.

It was salmon Eggs Benedict.  I didn't see lox on the Lido either, but my friends got it from somewhere.  Maybe Sea Day Brunch, although that doesn't "scan" quite right.   

I must be getting old; not only does my memory start failing but apparently I'm only 5 nights away from Platinum.  🙂  

On 10/24/2022 at 2:59 AM, Pellaz said:

Hmm, smoked salmon was available on the Lido breakfast buffet every time I wandered by last week on the Horizon.  

This is the exception rather than the rule for Carnival. I can't remember the last time I've seen it on the buffet on a Carnival ship, maybe back when it used to be on the room service breakfast menu (and everything was complimentary, not like now with the upcharge breakfast items, one of which is smoked salmon I believe).

• 3 weeks later...

On the Elation now. First sea day. Self serve for everything except bacon. Staff serving bacon cafeteria style. 2 pieces at a time. 

Just a bad look for Carnival. Seems like desperation. 

And no more edible tortilla bowls for taco salads at blue iguana. Server said they were discontinued.

Also, no more sauteed mushrooms for Guys burgers.

17 cruises with Carnival and we're ready to try something new. Just too many recent cutbacks. Just cancelled our 2 Carnival cruises for 2023.

Edited by Oletruckdude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oletruckdude said:

On the Elation now. First sea day. Self serve for everything except bacon. Staff serving bacon cafeteria style. 2 pieces at a time. 

So I get my two slices of bacon, then return to the line, over and over again? Do they allow that? Hahahaha that's so ridiculous! Just another reason I won't be heading over to Carnival again, any time soon. 

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So I get my two slices of bacon, then return to the line, over and over again? Do they allow that? Hahahaha that's so ridiculous! Just another reason I won't be heading over to Carnival again, any time soon. 

I just got off a cruise last week where there were peel and eat shrimp and crab legs on the lunch buffet every day. Fully self serve. And bacon every morning - in abundance. They served prime rib for lunch on embarkation day for crying out loud. There is life out from under the Whale tail…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I just got off a cruise last week where there were peel and eat shrimp and crab legs on the lunch buffet every day. Fully self serve. And bacon every morning - in abundance. They served prime rib for lunch on embarkation day for crying out loud. There is life out from under the Whale tail…

Do tell.....what line serves these long lost delicacies?

• Like 1

Having visually experienced the 'food abuse' of excessive amounts of bacon and of other foods, I am inclined to agree with Carnival's move to take control. If you wish to place blame on someone, that should be laid upon those that feel entitled to take more then needed, thus creating this economizing measure. 

I've walked past diners in the buffet area with plates of food laid out like their own personal buffet then get up and walk away without finishing what they've taken. Such waste! I look upon that as a disrespectful attitude.

The idea of these ship buffets is that you CAN return to reload your plate anew if you wish to have more. 'Take all you WISH but eat all you TAKE".

Look for more food economizing if food abuse cruisers cannot control themselves, IMO.

gluttony2.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

Having visually experienced the 'food abuse' of excessive amounts of bacon and of other foods, I am inclined to agree with Carnival's move to take control. If you wish to place blame on someone, that should be laid upon those that feel entitled to take more then needed, thus creating this economizing measure. 

I've walked past diners in the buffet area with plates of food laid out like their own personal buffet then get up and walk away without finishing what they've taken. Such waste! I look upon that as a disrespectful attitude.

The idea of these ship buffets is that you CAN return to reload your plate anew if you wish to have more. 'Take all you WISH but eat all you TAKE".

Look for more food economizing if food abuse cruisers cannot control themselves, IMO.

gluttony2.jpg

Well put!  👍👍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

gluttony2.jpg

I agree with you 100% on food waste. I think we have all seen it. Especially on Lido.

However, I can sympathize with those that feel that they are being punished (by a lot of "changes") for the actions of the "bad actors". This leaves a bad taste in some loyal customers mouths (no pun intended). 

Edited by Island Dog
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

gluttony2.jpg

Would this plate of bacon offend your sensibilities? I've absolutely taken this much bacon off a buffet before. Of course the difference is, I finish the bacon. How does one not finish bacon? In my world, it is impossible!

food-bacon_00278390-300x236.jpg.44d5761a6434018074a527c621ea4c22.jpg

Source: http://susiebakerskitchen.com/2014/07/15/pro-tip-baking-with-bacon/

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I've seen a spread like this (minus the crab)...but not every day. What line is this? Sounds like I need to become a customer of that line...unless they make me put pants, sneakers and button down shirts on. I'm a t-shirt, flippie floppie, shorts kinda guy whilst on vaca!

2 hours ago, Oletruckdude said:

Just a bad look for Carnival. Seems like desperation. 

And no more edible tortilla bowls for taco salads at blue iguana. Server said they were discontinued.

Also, no more sauteed mushrooms for Guys burgers.

17 cruises with Carnival and we're ready to try something new. Just too many recent cutbacks. Just cancelled our 2 Carnival cruises for 2023.

You can ask for more than 2 and they will give it to you. 

Now the mushrooms are another story. The Mrs. was not happy they were gone! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've seen a spread like this (minus the crab)...but not every day. What line is this? Sounds like I need to become a customer of that line...unless they make me put pants, sneakers and button down shirts on. I'm a t-shirt, flippie floppie, shorts kinda guy whilst on vaca!

1 hour ago, Island Dog said:

Do tell.....what line serves these long lost delicacies?

Disney - dress up optional too! They don’t even try to put on airs about cruise elegant or formal nights. The only place you have to dress up is their speciality restaurants.

It was more $ than a Carnival cruise - yes. But not all the money in the world. But I never smelled pot, never saw a fight, there was never even a line at guest services because there was nothing to complain about! No bacon police, I didn’t have to sign out towels (they were just laying on loungers for anybody to use!). No chair hogs - considerate fellow guests! I could not go on 5 Disney cruises a year but I will definitely cruise them more than Carnival moving forward!

Each to their own!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Disney - dress up optional too! They don’t even try to put on airs about cruise elegant or formal nights. The only place you have to dress up is their speciality restaurants.

It was more $ than a Carnival cruise - yes. But not all the money in the world. But I never smelled pot, never saw a fight, there was never even a line at guest services because there was nothing to complain about! No bacon police, I didn’t have to sign out towels (they were just laying on loungers for anybody to use!). No chair hogs - considerate fellow guests! I could not go on 5 Disney cruises a year but I will definitely cruise them more than Carnival moving forward!

Each to their own!

Funny what a higher price point can accomplish.......on many levels.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Each to their own!

Hmm the Disney dress code does look alright to me, especially when compared with Carnival's. I've tried buffets (NCL and Carnival). Neither are acceptable to me. Disney's might be good, but I do enjoy a sit down restaurant meal. No Disney specialty for me (dress code) and I don't like the concept of rotating dining rooms. So, no Disney for me. Plus, there is no ship-within-a-ship on Disney, so no Disney for me. 

I'll take the bacon though! 

12 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

Funny what a higher price point can accomplish.......on many levels.

It was an eye opening experience for me to say the least. One thing I left that cruise saying to myself is - Disney is not satisfied with “good enough”. You get what you pay for.

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hmm the Disney dress code does look alright to me, especially when compared with Carnival's. I've tried buffets (NCL and Carnival). Neither are acceptable to me. Disney's might be good, but I do enjoy a sit down restaurant meal. No Disney specialty for me (dress code) and I don't like the concept of rotating dining rooms. So, no Disney for me. Plus, there is no ship-within-a-ship on Disney, so no Disney for me. 

I'll take the bacon though! 

I’m not here to sell anything! That’s why I didn’t mention the line I cruised at first. Cruise your style your way on the line(s) you enjoy! Life is good.

• Thanks 1