Flights to Malta and Sicily/Sardinia sightseeing

elmsliebev

we are doing the repo cruise on Azura next year (Malta - Tenerife). Just wondered if anyone has flown to Malta this year from Manchester  - how long is the flight and who did you fly with? Our flights are available yet. 

And we will have 2 stops in Sicily - Palermo & Catania. Has anyone done any tours from those ports or any highlights to see? We're pretty independant & mobile and happy to do our own thing. Similarly in Sardinia - we stop at Cagliari.  

Many thanks

We did a tour from Palermo that took us to Monreale. It was a lovely town with a cathedral with the most beautiful gold mosaic ceiling. In the afternoon we walked around the sights in Palermo. I’m afraid Catania is our least favourite port in the Med as we have found the town dirty and crowded with quite a threatening atmosphere - I would suggest doing a tour from there perhaps to see Mt Etna. Cagliari is a nice place and easy to wander around on your own. It is a steep climb to the top, but pleasant to then have a drink or lunch looking down out over the harbour.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

We did a tour from Palermo that took us to Monreale. It was a lovely town with a cathedral with the most beautiful gold mosaic ceiling. In the afternoon we walked around the sights in Palermo. I’m afraid Catania is our least favourite port in the Med as we have found the town dirty and crowded with quite a threatening atmosphere - I would suggest doing a tour from there perhaps to see Mt Etna. Cagliari is a nice place and easy to wander around on your own. It is a steep climb to the top, but pleasant to then have a drink or lunch looking down out over the harbour.

thanks SeaJane, that's really useful. 

From Cagliari we booked a last minute ship excursion to a folk music/dancing show in a small village somewhere on the island.  Long tables set out in a courtyard with drinks and snacks, and a brilliant group of around 8-10 musicians and dancers. I would really love to do it again, 

• Like 1

Just a couple of photos taken on my last visit to Sicily, last month and a brief evening trip into Palermo.

The first is Teatro Politeama Garibaldi and the second is the Teatro Massimo (don't know why it is upside down🤷‍♀️), both are walkable from the ship. 

20220923_212726.jpg

20220923_215010.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, purplesea said:

Just a couple of photos taken on my last visit to Sicily, last month and a brief evening trip into Palermo.

The first is Teatro Politeama Garibaldi and the second is the Teatro Massimo (don't know why it is upside down🤷‍♀️), both are walkable from the ship. 

20220923_212726.jpg

20220923_215010.jpg

wow, they look great, thanks for posting. 

The flight from Manchester to Malta is approximately 3 and a half hours - we did it for Azura last month. I'd recommend a tour from Cagliari as the town itself has little to recommend it - or at least it hadn't in 2018.

Catania is a strange one. We took a trolley train tour - they park up right next to the ship - think it was 10 Euros each return. The first part of the journey is a bit depressing as the town looks dirty and quite grim, but you get your money's worth with quite a comprehensive look before but the train drops you off in the centre and there is a good selection of shops. With the train ticket you can also go back to the ship by bus as the same tour company operate both.

If you get the chance do go to Taormina - really lovely, vibrant little town.

Edited by Red Ray

Some years ago in Sicily my wife and I did a P&O excursion called The Godfather's Footsteps. It took in various locations where the three Godfather movies were filmed, including the bar where Michael and his bodyguards stop shortly after he first sees the girl who is to become his wife. It also featured a chat with the lady who played the girl's mother, with our guide acting as interpreter. If you are a fan of The Godfather films, and if this excursion is still available, then I thoroughly recommend it.

47 minutes ago, LondonLad60 said:

Some years ago in Sicily my wife and I did a P&O excursion called The Godfather's Footsteps. It took in various locations where the three Godfather movies were filmed, including the bar where Michael and his bodyguards stop shortly after he first sees the girl who is to become his wife. It also featured a chat with the lady who played the girl's mother, with our guide acting as interpreter. If you are a fan of The Godfather films, and if this excursion is still available, then I thoroughly recommend it.

We’ve also done this tour and thoroughly enjoyed it inspite of it’s rather “cheesy” description. The coach trip took us through some lovely countryside. However I’m pretty sure this was only on offer from Messina and not Palermo or Catania.