Brooklyn Cruise Terminal disembarkation

mushroom

I guess I just don't know how to use the "Search" feature on CruiseCritic or I'm not patient enough to go through all the dis-associated info that pops up...but I have a question and need your advice/help.  How accessable are regular taxis at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?  We expect to be off the ship between 8:30 and 9:00 and need to be at LaGuardia by 10:00.  Should I anticipate a problem in getting a taxi or should I arrange a limo in advance?  

17 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I guess I just don't know how to use the "Search" feature on CruiseCritic or I'm not patient enough to go through all the dis-associated info that pops up...but I have a question and need your advice/help.  How accessable are regular taxis at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?  We expect to be off the ship between 8:30 and 9:00 and need to be at LaGuardia by 10:00.  Should I anticipate a problem in getting a taxi or should I arrange a limo in advance?  

You're taking a real risk if you're going to disembark at 8:30 or 9 and have to be at the airport by 10.

Even if you could instantaneously jump into a taxi...and I wouldn't depend on being able to do that...the trip from the cruise terminal to LGA that would be about 30 minutes in light traffic could take an hour or even more if traffic is heavy due to volume, accident(s), weather or road construction.

My first recommendation is to book a later flight. If that's not possible then book a limo or car service in advance, but even that doesn't guarantee you'll be able to get to LGA on time. Even a pre booked car could be late in getting to the cruise terminal and even if they aren't that still doesn't address the traffic issue.

Note: I know I told you in an earlier post that you could make a noon flight...but my assumption was that you would be disembarking a touch earlier and that you didn't have to be at the airport any earlier than 10:30 or so to make your flight.

Edited by njhorseman

18 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I hope the reason you want to be at the airport by 10:00 is so that you can allow yourself an hour for checking in and going through TSA so you can allow 30 minutes to get to your gate the necessary 30 minutes before departure time— meaning a 12:00 (or later) flight.

Also, if you are thinking about getting off the ship by 9:00, you should not plan at all seriously on getting to LGA by 10:00.

1 hour ago, mushroom said:

My flight is at noon.  I'm allowing the customary 2 hour prior to flight check in.  

Doesn't your airline permit you to check in 24 hours prior to your flight using their app or website?

You shouldn't need 2 hours to clear TSA and get to your gate.

33 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Doesn't your airline permit you to check in 24 hours prior to your flight using their app or website?

You shouldn't need 2 hours to clear TSA and get to your gate.

Of course, you “shouldn’t”  - but you should allow for it.  And a noon flight closes its doors at 11:45 , and starts boarding at by 11:30 or earlier. Anyone who has flown recently will suggest that (at least at LGA and JFK) you want to be getting into the terminal by two hours before take off time.

I am 80 years old. My husband is 85.  We don't sprint down the concourse anymore.  Also...American Airlines advises two hours.  We have TSA Precheck and that helps, but we'd rather show up early than late.  Anyway...thanks for your advice and for caring.  Now...to my original question...are taxis readily available at the port?

21 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I am 80 years old. My husband is 85.  We don't sprint down the concourse anymore.  Also...American Airlines advises two hours.  We have TSA Precheck and that helps, but we'd rather show up early than late.  Anyway...thanks for your advice and for caring.  Now...to my original question...are taxis readily available at the port?

As I mentioned on your other thread I don't recommend taking a taxi because of recent problems that have been reported with drivers ripping off passengers. Even if that were not an issue you can encounter a line for taxis. 

Since you are on a  fairly tight timeline l suggest pre booking a car service.

23 hours ago, mushroom said:

How accessable are regular taxis at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? We expect to be off the ship between 8:30 and 9:00 and need to be at LaGuardia by 10:00. Should I anticipate a problem in getting a taxi or should I arrange a limo in advance?

I don't know if I would characterize any particular type of New York City taxicab as being "regular," but if you're talking about the traditional sedans, they are not accessible. You would have to transfer to a seat in the back of the taxi and have the wheelchair stored in the trunk (no charge, of course). In that sense, "regular" are accessible, though lacking in a ramp or lift. That said, a large number of taxis now utilize vehicles that are fully accessible, and wheelchair users can remain in their wheelchairs during the trip. You can request a New York City wheelchair accessible taxi through the Citywide Accessible Dispatch Program:

1. Use the mobile app Accessible Dispatch NYC powered by Medical Transportation Management, Inc. (MTM) and available free at the Apple App Store or the Android App Store

2. Order online at Accessible Dispatch New Reservation http://mtm.ridewithzoom.com

3. Call the dispatch center directly: (646) 599-9999

4. Call 311, NY Relay: 711

More information about accessible taxis are available on the website of the Taxi and Limousine Commission: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/about/accessibility.page

The online order might be best to arrange in advance and ensure timely travel with an accessible taxi.

21 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I don't know if I would characterize any particular type of New York City taxicab as being "regular," but if you're talking about the traditional sedans, they are not accessible. You would have to transfer to a seat in the back of the taxi and have the wheelchair stored in the trunk (no charge, of course). In that sense, "regular" are accessible, though lacking in a ramp or lift. That said, a large number of taxis now utilize vehicles that are fully accessible, and wheelchair users can remain in their wheelchairs during the trip. You can request a New York City wheelchair accessible taxi through the Citywide Accessible Dispatch Program:

1. Use the mobile app Accessible Dispatch NYC powered by Medical Transportation Management, Inc. (MTM) and available free at the Apple App Store or the Android App Store

2. Order online at Accessible Dispatch New Reservation http://mtm.ridewithzoom.com

3. Call the dispatch center directly: (646) 599-9999

4. Call 311, NY Relay: 711

More information about accessible taxis are available on the website of the Taxi and Limousine Commission: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/about/accessibility.page

The online order might be best to arrange in advance and ensure timely travel with an accessible taxi.

I may be wrong but I don't think the OP was asking about accessibility for handicapped persons. 

9 hours ago, mushroom said:

We disembarked off the Enchanted Princess in Brooklyn in mid-September, as early walk-offs, so around 7AM. There definitely were taxis there at that time picking up passengers, though I remember remarking that there seemed to be fewer taxis in evidence than we would have seen, say, at Port Everglades greeting a ship of that size.  I can't say what the taxi situation would haven been a bit later in the morning.  We were fortunate to have parked our car a few feet away, so we didn't need a taxi, though my enduring memory of that disembarkation experience was walking past a screaming match between a taxi driver and an incredibly obnoxious passenger who desperately needed to get to the airport because they had booked a ridiculously early flight and were upset the taxi driver wasn't moving fast enough.

Just a suggestion, perhaps you can find a Roll Call for a ship that has recently arrived back in Brooklyn, and ask one of the arriving passengers.

No...don't need wheelchair accessabililty.  Just need "available" accessability.  Thanks for your answers. I've planned and perhaps over-planned every aspect of this trip....just don't have a ride back to the airport worked out yet.  I do appreciate your advice!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I may be wrong but I don't think the OP was asking about accessibility for handicapped persons. 

I read, "How accessible are regular taxis at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?" To most people in the transportation industry, accessibility is shorthand for, and refers to, accessibility to transportation services by people with disabilities generally, or depending on context, accessibility to transportation by wheelchair users. Similar uses of the word "accessible" are made elsewhere, such as accessible bathrooms, or accessible hotel rooms, which also relate to their use by people with disabilities. (Indeed, I had wondered whether to bringing up the possibility of using Access-A-Ride as an alternative to accessible taxi service, but realizing the specific use of taxi, and its implications of being a private, not shared, ride, and some of the difficulties that Access-A-Ride has face with providing on-time service, I thought best not to raise that alternative accessible service.)

Subsequently, the original poster explained that the question is not really "accessibility," but rather about "availability" of taxis generally.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

I read, "How accessible are regular taxis at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?" To most people in the transportation industry, accessibility is shorthand for, and refers to, accessibility to transportation services by people with disabilities generally, or depending on context, accessibility to transportation by wheelchair users. Similar uses of the word "accessible" are made elsewhere, such as accessible bathrooms, or accessible hotel rooms, which also relate to their use by people with disabilities. (Indeed, I had wondered whether to bringing up the possibility of using Access-A-Ride as an alternative to accessible taxi service, but realizing the specific use of taxi, and its implications of being a private, not shared, ride, and some of the difficulties that Access-A-Ride has face with providing on-time service, I thought best not to raise that alternative accessible service.)

Subsequently, the original poster explained that the question is not really "accessibility," but rather about "availability" of taxis generally.

In general  you're not addressing people in the transportation industry on this website. 

In my experience people inquiring about accessible transportation here commonly use the term "handicapped accessible ".

Also the OP had previously posted a related question that I had replied to on a separate thread on this board and did not indicate a need for (handicapped) accessible transportation. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

In my experience people inquiring about accessible transportation here commonly use the term "handicapped accessible ".

With all due respect, the term "handicapped accessible" is generally regarded within the community of persons with disabilities as degrading. The term "handicapped" has largely disappeared from legislation and public discourse, and the term "accessible" is most often used by itself (or if need be, the longer phrase, "accessible to persons with disabilities," is sometimes used for accessibility generally, or "wheelchair accessible" for a particular type of accessibility). There is some useful background information from the USDA here, http://www.fs.usda.gov/eng/toolbox/acc/acc02.htm, and some additional information from the ADA National Network, providing guidelines for writing about people with disabilities, here, http://www.adata.org/factsheet/ADANN-writing. Among those guidelines are: "Note that ‘handicapped’ is an outdated and unacceptable term to use when referring to individuals or accessible environments." The term "accessible" is used not only within the transportation industry, but throughout all manner of public accommodations, so as to describe facilities that are usable by persons with disabilities. (True, there are some inconsistencies with the term "accessible." The terms is supposed to be applied to all types of disabilities, and so, for example, a website is "accessible" when usable by blind internet users. Yet, "accessible" tends to be used in most situations as meaning "wheelchair accessible," the wheelchair part being implied.) The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 has been law now for over thirty years. The use of term "accessible" should, legitimately, be part of most educated persons' vocabularies by now, and I certainly hope that it is not true that "people inquiring about accessible transportation here commonly use the term 'handicapped accessible'." Accordingly, when I see the word "accessible" being used, especially in the context of transportation and other public accommodations, and absent any knowledge of the word being used otherwise, I expect the word to be used as meaning accessible to persons with disabilities. This response may be a bit long-winded, but terminology issues, and in particular words such as "disability," "handicap," and "accessible," are viewed as very important by many persons who are disabled, and there's a great deal of sensitivity involved, facts that have been instilled in me for many years, and from years earlier than the ADA's enactment in 1990.

We disembarked the Brooklyn Cruise terminal this past Saturday October 22nd around 9:45 a.m.  We  stayed on the Enchanted Princess as long as possible because we had a later (2 pm) flight out of Laguardia.  There were some taxis, but there was a very long line of folks waiting for a taxi.  There was another long line of folks waiting for Ubers.  We ended up taking a private car (black suv) to Laguardia.  There were 6 of us that  decided to ride  together and the charge was $20 per person.  There was a lot of stop and go traffic to the airport.  Vehicle was newer, very clean and driver drove safely.  I do not know the name of the car service, but they had several vehicles available for pick up at the port to go to the airport.  I  did notice on the taxi ride from Laguardia to the ship, there was a sticker on the side of the cab with the name of an app. on it.  Our taxi driver said to download the app. and use it to get a taxi from the port to the airport, but I forgot to write down the name of the app.  Taxi from Laguardia to Brooklyn cruise terminal was $38 plus tip. There is a taxi stand outside baggage claim area and there were plenty of taxis available.  I did check with Dial 7 Car Service and they quoted me $190 for 4 people from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Laguardia.  Good luck and I hope your transportation from the cruise terminal to the airport goes well.

The day of the week has a big impact on traffic in that area. Monday through Friday, at the time you'd be traveling, would be towards the end of rush hour. The Brooklyn Queens Expressway which is the route that goes from Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia is also route that many commuters use to get to work in Manhattan. It would probably take an hour on those days. Weekend days the 30 minute ride is realistic. Pre-booked car for sure!

On 10/24/2022 at 11:16 PM, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

We ended up taking a private car (black suv) to Laguardia. There were 6 of us that decided to ride  together and the charge was $20 per person.* * * I do not know the name of the car service, but they had several vehicles available for pick up at the port to go to the airport.

From the description provided, it sounds as though this was an unlawful trip. Generally: yellow taxis accept street hails anywhere but do not take radio calls; green taxis accept streets hails anywhere except central Manhattan and airports, and may take pre-arranged trips; black cars may not accept street hails and only take pre-arranged trips. It is not clear if this car had been engaged by the passenger having contacted the base, and then being directed to a particular car (meaning that the trip was pre-arranged), or if the car was engaged by the passenger walking up to the driver and making an under-the-table agreement then and there (street hail). It would appear that the driver who transported the group here likely was operating on their own, not providing the service through a base, and it seems unlikely that any base would take responsibility for having arranged the trip, and was otherwise providing the service without pre-arrangement through the base. It may be that this driver does affiliate with a base for many trips, but it seems that this trip was not one of those trips. (Further evidence that this was an unlawful trip is the nature of the charge being imposed on a per-person basis, a departure from the usual black car practice of pricing trips on a per-vehicle basis.) The other cars are the port might have been pre-arranged, or they might also have been drivers looking to work under-the-table.