Will NCL, specifically the Prima be showing the World Series, which will be on Fox?

CruizinSusan70

7 hours ago, Phamer55 said:

Huge Phillies Phan here, this doesn’t sound good.  Yeah, never dreamed this team would be here, so booked a cruise to French Polynesia during the Series, doh!  Really hoping it will be on the ship. We are in port every day, and with 2pm local games, hoping to find a local bar as a backup plan. I know NCL has not been the best in the past showing live sports. 

You might have to stream it

Well, I'll get to see Games 1 and 2 before we leave, since they're Friday and Saturday.

But once we're onboard, my plans:

Plan A: Upon embarkation, head to Guest Services and ask where the game will be shown.

Plan B: Wear my Phillies hat everywhere, to support the team and meet fellow baseball fans. If #1 above fails, recruit as many baseball fans as possible to go to Guest Services and ask about the World Series. Maybe we'll get them to show it.

Plan C: Use my network of baseball fans and find someone who already has the streaming package, or buy the streaming package myself. I'll pack my iPad and a USB-C to HDMI adapter, to show on my stateroom TV or even potentially on a TV in a bar? I've heard tell of people on here who have convinced the crew to let them borrow a TV in a bar for a group of fans.

Plan D: I'm packing my AM / FM pocket radio, and a list of ESPN Radio affiliates up and down the coast. Bangor has a station that should be carrying the game.

When I booked the cruise, it was far from certain that the Phillies would even be in the playoffs, and also, I'll take my vacations whenever I can get them.

If finding a way to watch baseball is the most stressful thing I deal with all week, then that's a good week!

Edited by dcipjr
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

Well, I'll get to see Games 1 and 2 before we leave, since they're Friday and Saturday.

But once we're onboard, my plans:

Plan A: Upon embarkation, head to Guest Services and ask where the game will be shown.

Plan B: Wear my Phillies hat everywhere, to support the team and meet fellow baseball fans. If #1 above fails, recruit as many baseball fans as possible to go to Guest Services and ask about the World Series. Maybe we'll get them to show it.

Plan C: Use my network of baseball fans and find someone who already has the streaming package, or buy the streaming package myself. I'll pack my iPad and a USB-C to HDMI adapter, to show on my stateroom TV or even potentially on a TV in a bar? I've heard tell of people on here who have convinced the crew to let them borrow a TV in a bar for a group of fans.

Plan 😧 I'm packing my AM / FM pocket radio, and a list of ESPN Radio affiliates up and down the coast. Bangor has a station that should be carrying the game.

When I booked the cruise, it was far from certain that the Phillies would even be in the playoffs, and also, I'll take my vacations whenever I can get them.

If finding a way to watch baseball is the most stressful thing I deal with all week, then that's a good week!

If you have a Sirius / XM account I'm pretty sure they will have it on. You can listen to it via their App

9 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

If you have a Sirius / XM account I'm pretty sure they will have it on. You can listen to it via their App

Might be the best bet…I use their app for a lot of stuff..might even have a free trial..they do carry ESPN radio. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

they do carry ESPN radio. 

There would also be MLB Network radio (which may not carry it) and the broadcasts for the Phillies and Astros as their radio broadcasts still go on for these games.  As far as radio is concerned, this is not a national-exclusive event.

54 minutes ago, hallux said:

There would also be MLB Network radio (which may not carry it) and the broadcasts for the Phillies and Astros as their radio broadcasts still go on for these games.  As far as radio is concerned, this is not a national-exclusive event.

I didn't think about the home announcers, I used XM during the year to listen to a few Braves games while traveling.  

The Phillies radio crew (Scott Franzke and Larry Anderson) is absolutely top-notch, but I'm not aware of any way of listening to them on the FM / AM airwaves outside of the tri-state (PA, NJ, DE) area.

I don't have XM or Sirius. If I have Internet, I can presumably stream the Fox broadcast via their app, or pick up the Phils radio crew via the 94.1 WIP Internet feed. 

One way or another....there are also a fair number of folks expressing interest on the roll call, so maybe we can nudge Guest Services into showing the game.

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

The Phillies radio crew (Scott Franzke and Larry Anderson) is absolutely top-notch, but I'm not aware of any way of listening to them on the FM / AM airwaves outside of the tri-state (PA, NJ, DE) area.

I don't have XM or Sirius. If I have Internet, I can presumably stream the Fox broadcast via their app, or pick up the Phils radio crew via the 94.1 WIP Internet feed. 

One way or another....there are also a fair number of folks expressing interest on the roll call, so maybe we can nudge Guest Services into showing the game.

Good luck....Astros look tough to me.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

This will not be help for this year's World Series, but if enough people write a letter or send an email about American sports programing on the ships to Corporate, maybe things could change.

I would doubt that either a ships' Guest Service Manager or the Hotel General Manager would be able to change satellite feed in order to get a particular game or a series of games.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Good luck....Astros look tough to me.  

Just read a breakdown via position comparison.  It gave the Astros the edge in 8/11 areas, with the Phillies having the better catcher, DH and 1st baseman.  The Astros had the other six positional players as well as better starting pitching and a better bullpen.   On paper, it should be Astros in six, winning the first two at home, taking 1 out of the 3 in Philly and closing it at home.   But you never know.

Replying generally, and specifically to posts #19 and #28.

I just completed an NCL Canadian Maritime cruise.  NFL Football, yes. No baseball.  Even when 8 teams remained in the playoffs, there was insufficient passenger interest to make any requests to show baseball.  However, my AM radio was able to pick up WFAN throughout the North Atlantic and either ESPN 1000 from Chicago or ESPN 1050 from New York for most of the journey.  I had to be willing to sit outdoors, in the cold, in a quiet area of the ship, in order to listen to the games. My AM radio was able to receive signals from several 50,000 watt AM stations from around the U.S.  Unfortunately, many were not broadcasting post-season baseball.

I am aware of a passenger mutiny similar to that described in post #19. In 2017 NCL was not carrying the Astros-Dodgers World Series.  In Aruba we met a Carnival ship which had departed from Galveston.  The Astros fans were sufficiently indignant about the absence of World Series coverage that Carnival made a last minute decision to purchase rights to the games.

3 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

I just completed an NCL Canadian Maritime cruise.  NFL Football, yes. No baseball.  Even when 8 teams remained in the playoffs, there was insufficient passenger interest to make any requests to show baseball.  However, my AM radio was able to pick up WFAN throughout the North Atlantic and either ESPN 1000 from Chicago or ESPN 1050 from New York for most of the journey.  I had to be willing to sit outdoors, in the cold, in a quiet area of the ship, in order to listen to the games. My AM radio was able to receive signals from several 50,000 watt AM stations from around the U.S.  Unfortunately, many were not broadcasting post-season baseball.

Yep, I was on the same cruise.  Frankly, I was really surprised that there was NO baseball.  At least we got the Eagles Dallas game!

I was able to stream via the SXM app for some time, then that quit on me and I would just incessantly ask "Hey Siri, what's the score of the Phillies game?"