Standard protocols - no Covid testing??

cruisegirl06

Wow!  I just checked our upcoming HAL cruise in December, and it says the same thing!  Looks like they changed protocol again, as of yesterday.  🥰 

Holland America Line

Health Protocols

Standard Protocols

This specific booking and/or voyage follows our COVID-19 Standard Protocols for vaccination and testing requirements for cruising.

Vaccination Requirements

• We highly recommend all guests be up to date on their vaccination status. Vaccinations, however, are not required.

Testing Requirements

• Guests are not required to take a COVID-19 test prior to embarkation.

Please upload all required documentation to the VeriFLY app for a quick and seamless embarkation process.

As a reminder, it is the guest's responsibility to understand and meet all government requirements for documentation and entry, including COVID-19 vaccination, of the countries they will visit during the cruise, including embarkation and disembarkation ports. We encourage guests to visit the countries' websites to review their requirements.

Global COVID-19 regulations and protocols are continuously changing and we may revise or modify these requirements (effective immediately) to evolve in line with the latest practices at any time. Please check back regularly for any updates. These protocols only apply to the specific booking number or voyage entered.

As of October 24, 2022

I can see why cruise lines are eliminating need for testing.  Pre cruise testing wasn't truly working.  We were on a longer, 17, day cruise where we were required to be vaxed, boosted & pre cruise tested.  Then were given a 2nd test in the terminal in addition to the test everyone was required to take prior to embarkation day.  We had a really bad outbreak of Covid on that cruise, seemed like there were red bags outside of cabins along every hallway.  And rumors were flying about the number of cases onboard.  I have also heard/read about other outbreaks  even though they were tested & vaxed.  My sister's whole family ended up with covid after a cruise- they were all vaxed & tested.  So the tests were not really helping to eliminate outbreaks.  Using good common sense & protecting yourself is more helpful.

• Like 3

Does this mean that if you are on a standard sailing regardless of vaccination status, that all you need to bring to the port are your travel documents?  (No test or vaccination card.)

Is the VeriFLY line going away at the port since there is no reason to use VeriFLY?

I wish this protocol change was communicated better and clearer.

I’m surprised that now Holland America has looser protocols than Carnival.  I thought Holland America would be one of the last cruise lines to change their protocols.

Edited by habitatnal

The HAL website does make it easy to determine if you need to be tested prior to your specific cruise.  You just enter your boarding #.  I am sure there are still countries that require testing &/or vaccines prior to entering.  So kudos to HAL for making it easy to figure out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

So kudos to HAL for making it easy to figure out.

Yes...kudos to HAL...it is a great tool.

Just checked this again for my journey staring in 10 days 8 hours 4 minutes.

Last week it was testing not required if vax'd.  It is now:

• We highly recommend all guests be up to date on their vaccination status. Vaccinations, however, are not required.
  • Guests are not required to take a COVID-19 test prior to embarkation.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Why do they bother with the “highly recommend” ? Too many people on here read that as optional 🙄.  

Because if it's not required, it's optional.  It's up to the passenger to decide whether to do it or not - very simple.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe to two of you can google highly recommend.  It’s not what the passenger decides 🙄.  I’m not surprised in the least though.  

If the waiter highly recommends the fish, you're still free to order the chickie.  We have options.  No astonishment necessary.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Why do they bother with the “highly recommend” ? Too many people on here read that as optional 🙄.  

Still playing from the same old song book I see.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I believe HAL & other lines are allowing us to make our own decisions about vax & testing when they can.  Vaxed & unvaxed can walk into local Walmart w/o being tested & mask free.  It is up to us to protect ourselves in whatever way we see fit.  In US we can enter most businesses w/o masks & w/o showing vax record.  Only place I've been required to wear a mask lately is a Dr office.

On 10/25/2022 at 4:12 PM, Banditswife said:

The HAL website does make it easy to determine if you need to be tested prior to your specific cruise.  You just enter your boarding #.  I am sure there are still countries that require testing &/or vaccines prior to entering.  So kudos to HAL for making it easy to figure out.

On the HAL website it says if you haven’t booked yet you can

Get the info by  “voyage number”.  Anyone know how I find out the voyage number for a particular cruise?

2 minutes ago, imescaping said:

On the HAL website it says if you haven’t booked yet you can

Get the info by  “voyage number”.  Anyone know how I find out the voyage number for a particular cruise?

I am not sure how to figure out the voyage #, sorry.  The voyage 

37 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

I am not sure how to figure out the voyage #, sorry.  The voyage 

Try this; you only need to know the ship & date & # of days:

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/?voyage=all

It's good for all 2022 sailings.

Edited by mightycruisequeen

19 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Try this; you only need to know the ship & date & # of days:

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/protocols/?voyage=all

It's good for all 2022 sailings.

This is a good source but don’t try to make sense of the 2023 protocols from this table, they make absolutely no sense.  Wait a few weeks for 2023