First time flying to get to the ship. HELP! I need packing tips.

My wife and I have done two 7-day B2B’s and had one checked bag each, weighing 47-lbs and 51-lbs.  I find the biggest weight items are shoes.  We normally have three pair each, dress shoes, tennis shoes, and a pair of slip on shoes to wear around the ship.  I could get by with only two pair but I am not so sure about my wife. 

We also take a collapsable soft sided bag that we use to hold our dirty laundry and other clothing items in case we need more room in our luggage for gifts.  So going home we have three checked bags, which is still one under my free bag limit. 

On 10/25/2022 at 10:46 AM, marci22 said:

Definitely lose the formal wear. On formal night I was wearing a golf shirt from Chico's and black Nike pants and someone told me I looked fancy and where was I going. People wore anything on formal night. I was on the more dressy end of the spectrum.

Now I understand, it's Spirit that's destroyed formal nights!

On 10/25/2022 at 5:44 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Vacuum bags work well for us.  But a scale is a must as what you can seal up in a vacuum bag can easily put you over the weight limit.  We have two types one you seal and roll or smash to get the air out.  The other uses a small hand pump to suck the air out.  It gets stuff much more compressed even factoring in the small size of the pump.  If we are going a few days early I send small stuff to the laundry around day 2-3.  It cuts my small stuff packing by half.  If formal night is a big deal then rent a tux for the men.  I take my own shoes and socks.    

No more tux rentals on Royal or Celebrity.

Notes from our 12 day (8 on board) vacation.  Wore swimsuits all day & capris with a couple different tops at night.  Used 2 cotton dresses.  Went home with at least 40% unworn.  Only used 2 pr of nicer flip flops so wasted room on the other 2 pr of sandals.  With souvenirs for the grands and about 5 lbs of reading material bags on the way home weighed 36 & 39 lbs and I used my oversized handbag for travel docs and meds so nothing in the overhead.  I swear next cruise I’m bringing 3 bathing suits, 3 sundresses and my Jammie’s 😁

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:22 AM, gmerick said:

Is the issue more of simply not wanting to pay for something that used to be free (carry-ons and checked bags)?  I take a personal item (my laptop bag), my carry on (mostly because it has needed batteries that cannot be checked), and TWO 50 lb checked bags.  I'm on vacation, I don't want to do without.  

Sadly, Spirit is a 40 lb limit on checked bags not 50 lbs.  Its crazy!

Have taken Spirit many times. We have it down to one joint checked duffle bag and one personal item each. - whether it is a 7 or 11 day cruise. And we take nicer clothes for dress night - not a tux, but a sports coat and dress pants/shoes for him. We fill all of the "holes" at the bottom of the suitcase with socks, etc., then lay his sports coat across the bottom. My dress clothes take very little space. We also take my snorkel gear, less the flippers which would take a lot of space. I like paperback books, not the screens to read, and generally take several and just leave in the cabin which gives me some space for souvenirs. The "stuff the laundry bag promos" are great and we now do that on nearly every cruise. Limit shoes, have a number of outfits that could be used for day wear or night wear - think sundress that can be used as a swimsuit cover up or be worn to dinner - or pjs that could be a cover up. I usually follow my 2 + 2 + 2 rule. 2 pants (usually wear one on the plane), 2 capris and 2 shorts. One of each of these is generally pretty casual. If I take a skirt, I will eliminate one the the others. None are heavy jeans unless it's the pair for the plane. If I am going to a warm climate I add an extra light weight skirt/sun dress or pair of shorts. Usually about a half dozen tops, and wear a sweater/jacket on the plane.

We manage to fit in a light weight sightseeing backpack/tote, hats, sun glasses, meds (take out of boxed packaging and just take the "cards" along - write on the back with marker what they are),  limited makeup, sunscreen, etc. No extra purse for formal night - not needed. I have worn my pool flip flops to dinner rather than take extra shoes - generally wear walking shoes on plane, one flip flop for beach/pool, one pair of walking sandals and one pair of nicer sandals for dinner - not wedges or heels - something pretty flat to fit in easier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 6:27 PM, OCVTSGIRL said:

Sadly, Spirit is a 40 lb limit on checked bags not 50 lbs.  Its crazy!

40 lbs is only the cheapest tier limit for checked bags.  Once again, "Is the issue more of simply not wanting to pay for something"?

From spirit.com/optional-services:

Overweight or Oversized Baggage

Per Bag

41 – 50 lbs. (18 – 23 kg) + $69

51 – 100 lbs. (23 - 45 kg) + $99

63-80 linear inches (158-203 cm) + $100

Special items over 80 linear inches (203 cm) + $150