Carnival Wi-Fi and iMessage

Kemery

We will be cruising on the new Celebration in March. I don't necessarily want wifi to connect to email or social because I'd be kind of happy to get away from it. What I would like to know is there FREE wifi that will support a simple iMessage? I understand photos, etc likely wouldn't work -- but would feel more comfortable if I could stay connected with home as I have elderly parents. I know we stayed connected last time we cruised, but I think we may have paid for a plan. I don't remember. We are also traveling with others, so it sounds like the Hub App chat will work for that.

It is a YMMV thing. It worked on the Sunshine in May, but not September with the same phone.

Carnival specifically says FaceTime and iMessage are not supported, even with paid wifi, so it's not guaranteed.

There is no free wifi..other than a few websites carnival allows everyone to access like Carnival.com. Reports have been that you can use iMessage with the social plan even though Carnival says it isn't supported with that plan. I have never had social but I've used iMessage with the other two plans.

Edited by Saint Greg

As Greg said, there is no free wifi. The wifi you connect to will give you access to the app on the ship, but other features on your phone will not work. iMessage works on the social plan (I always get the value plan) which works for me (when the wifi decides to actually work). 

I have been able to accept and send text messages with other IPhones when we purchased premium WIFI, does this work with the value plan also? It was great on the Panorama when we traveled with my daughter, we didn’t need  the Chat feature as we were able to text each other without using the App. I have ordered the value plan for my next few cruises and I’m hoping it works with that plan also. 

We cruise a lot.  You'll need to get the "Social Plan."   Works great for Facebook & Instant messaging.  Also, allows you to access airlines like Southwest to get your boarding passes along with Carnival.com.  15% discount if booked prior to cruise day.  However, I think they just had a price increase??  Anyway, best for what you are looking to accomplish.  Like others have said, no free wifi.

Last time we cruised we got the social plan. I just really wanted to be able to check my emails, facebook and send a text or two. I never had problems getting iMessage to work on that plan. I don’t think you should need the premium unless you’re planning on doing more than a few messages. It will cost money though, but I thought it was worth it. 

20 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I thought that I have read some say that the iMessage worked without a plan.  Is that true?

It worked on the Sunshine in May, but not in September. So my guess is they figured out how to block it.

And while people are saying to buy the Social plan for iMessage and FaceTime - that's great if it works for you. But Carnival says it's not supported. So YMMV. Refunding the plan purchase at Guest Services is always an option if you get on board and find out it isn't working.

Edited by mz-s

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It worked on the Sunshine in May, but not in September. So my guess is they figured out how to block it.

And while people are saying to buy the Social plan for iMessage and FaceTime - that's great if it works for you. But Carnival says it's not supported. So YMMV. Refunding the plan purchase at Guest Services is always an option if you get on board and find out it isn't working.

Will iMessage work with the premium Wi-Fi? Or not at all on any of the plans? 

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

Can you REALLY stream Netflix or other streaming services on their max plan?

What about if outside of the US? Like Caribbean or elsewhere?

I have not ever been able to stream Netflix or other such sites even with the Premium Plan.  Best to download anything you want to watch before you go.  I used to be slightly annoyed that DH needed lots of downloads for a cruise, but the TV is so bad now that I totally get it. 

Even with premium wifi when I was on MG I had lots of trouble including photos in text messages.  Worked maybe 40% of the time.  I will say FaceTime worked pretty well on premium wifi.

• Like 1

iMessages worked for me while in airplane mode using the Carnival wifi that you use to access the app BEFORE I logged into my internet purchase.  I feel that this varies between ships. 

After I logged into my SM internet, iMessages worked for about four days until I got some weird error on my iPhone. I switched over to whatsapp after that. As soon as we were back in port and shut off airplane mode, the imessage error cleared. First time I've experienced that but think it was a phone issue.