Do you lose perks if you do a last-minute upgrade?

newtocruiseinblue

Just now, newtocruiseinblue said:

If I take advantage of one of the upgrade offers will I lose my onboard credit? 

No you do not.  If you have HAL insurance it may increase your insurance cost.  We also received an upsell offer, but, think we are staying put.  We currently have an ocean view guarantee and will most likely be assigned Deck 1.  This is handy going back and forth to room.  You and I are on the same sailing and want to mention to you that we are able to bring wine onboard.  It is subject to $20 per bottle charge.  We plan to bring 2 bottles on board.  As I mentioned earlier we ordered a bottle of Jim Beam Bourbon for my husband.  It appears the current happy hour is still only 25% off second drink.  Since it is such a poor offer the bright side is no pressure to limit ourselves to Happy Hour.  We will order a drink as we feel like it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

No you do not.  If you have HAL insurance it may increase your insurance cost.  We also received an upsell offer, but, think we are staying put.  We currently have an ocean view guarantee and will most likely be assigned Deck 1.  This is handy going back and forth to room.  You and I are on the same sailing and want to mention to you that we are able to bring wine onboard.  It is subject to $20 per bottle charge.  We plan to bring 2 bottles on board.  As I mentioned earlier we ordered a bottle of Jim Beam Bourbon for my husband.  It appears the current happy hour is still only 25% of second drink.  Since it is such a poor offer the bright side is no pressure to limit ourselves to Happy Hour.  We will order a drink as we feel like it.

Awesome! Thank you so much! That is a wonderful philosophy to have!! Happy hour all the time 😊 Looking forward to getting away ❤️

• Like 1

Just now, FlaMariner said:

I learned the hard way that if you buy an upsell to the suite level, you do not get the double Mariner points.

This is a good point.  I received an upsell offer yesterday and it was very clear in the offer double points are not granted for an upsell to a suite.  Perhaps it wasn't clear when you accepted, but, it is now.

4 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

This is a good point.  I received an upsell offer yesterday and it was very clear in the offer double points are not granted for an upsell to a suite.  Perhaps it wasn't clear when you accepted, but, it is now.

Yep, this was a long time ago when we paid for the upgrade.......way before the "recent unpleasantness"......We learned two lessons:  1). the entry level suite is not worth the $$$ to us. 2) and no double Mariner points when you upsell.......

When we make it to 5 stars on our bellies, we will know everything!  LOL!

• Like 2

Interesting about the Mariner points for a suite.  We were in a signature suite and accepted a paid upgrade to a Neptune.  As of today my Mariner points have not been added.  Just disembarked Saturday.   Wonder how they will calculate them?

12 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

Interesting about the Mariner points for a suite.  We were in a signature suite and accepted a paid upgrade to a Neptune.  As of today my Mariner points have not been added.  Just disembarked Saturday.   Wonder how they will calculate them?

My understanding (and experience) is that if you buy a paid upgrade to a suite, your points are based on your original booking cabin. 

In your case, if you originally bought a signature suite, you should get double points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

If I take advantage of one of the upgrade offers will I lose my onboard credit? 

I just accepted an upsell from an interior with Have It All to a balcony with HIA and received an additional $100 OBC.

1 minute ago, dmcfad2 said:

I just accepted an upsell from an interior with Have It All to a balcony with HIA and received an additional $100 OBC.

This is interesting.  Congratulations!  Would you be willing to elaborate on the circumstances of the extra $100 OBC?  Thank you.

11 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

This is interesting.  Congratulations!  Would you be willing to elaborate on the circumstances of the extra $100 OBC?  Thank you.

I really don’t know why. I have the Have It All package and I assumed it was because I went from an interior to a verandah and it was part of that package. But after your question, I went and looked at the benefits included in the HIA again and there is no OBC included in the package. So, it’s a mystery. But, I’ll take it. LOL

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 8:29 AM, FlaMariner said:

My understanding (and experience) is that if you buy a paid upgrade to a suite, your points are based on your original booking cabin. 

In your case, if you originally bought a signature suite, you should get double points.

I did indeed get double points.  Need 14 more for 4 star..  almost there..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

I did indeed get double points.  Need 14 more for 4 star..  almost there..

Almost there!!!!  That's practically just one more cruise!

(We've got 35 more to go to free laundry and 50% off Sommelier.......we all have to have a goal in life!!!! LOL)

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 12:08 AM, dmcfad2 said:

November 5. 🙂

Debbie - this is off-topic but I was looking at all of the places that you traveled and I was just curious about how you liked the Viking River cruise compared to all of your ocean cruises. We are thinking of doing a Viking River cruise in the future. Thank you!!

41 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

@newtocruiseinblue - We caved and purchased the HIA, lol......no regrets!

I saw that! Nice!!

We upgraded from OV to veranda and we also have a nice amount of onboard credit. i'm still trying to decide if I want to get the Internet package before we go and I better hurry and make that decision 🤣

1 minute ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I saw that! Nice!!

We upgraded from OV to veranda and we also have a nice amount of onboard credit. i'm still trying to decide if I want to get the Internet package before we go and I better hurry and make that decision 🤣

We are still in an OV and waiting for assignment.  I hope I don't regret it, lol. About the internet,  we have TMobile and typically get the internet in port, no problem.  Also, someone mentioned they had it at HMC too.

2 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We are still in an OV and waiting for assignment.  I hope I don't regret it, lol. About the internet,  we have TMobile and typically get the internet in port, no problem.  Also, someone mentioned they had it at HMC too.

We were also waiting for our OV assignment. I heard the longer that you way, the better the deal gets and that some people get upgraded anyway. I am wishing you a surprise upgrade! I think right now they want everyone to be happy and I don't think the ship is going to be packed full based on the upgrade selections that we received. Almost there!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

We were also waiting for our OV assignment. I heard the longer that you way, the better the deal gets and that some people get upgraded anyway. I am wishing you a surprise upgrade! I think right now they want everyone to be happy and I don't think the ship is going to be packed full based on the upgrade selections that we received. Almost there!!

Thank you!  I am fully expecting an OV which is fine.  HAL is not really known for upgrades.   For US, we find we don't really use the balcony.  We enjoy being on the public decks.  SEE YOU SOON!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Debbie - this is off-topic but I was looking at all of the places that you traveled and I was just curious about how you liked the Viking River cruise compared to all of your ocean cruises. We are thinking of doing a Viking River cruise in the future. Thank you!!

I think you would love a Viking River cruise. It is a totally different experience than an ocean cruise. We did Budapest to Amsterdam on three rivers and it was so amazing to be so close to shore and see everything up close while cruising and see how the captain maneuvers around bends in the river with those long boats. They provide a guided excursion in each port, but we opted to do everything on our own. The docks are right in town, so we just walked off the boat and did our own thing. Going through the locks is an amazing experience. The entertainment is nothing like on a cruise ship, though. They bring local talent in to entertain in the evening on some days and other days had no entertainment And, if I remember correctly, the bar wasn’t open all the time. Just in the evening. We met some great people and are talking about doing it again. I just hate the long flights, but, oh, well. 🙂 An unforgettable trip. Go for it!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I think you would love a Viking River cruise. It is a totally different experience than an ocean cruise. We did Budapest to Amsterdam on three rivers and it was so amazing to be so close to shore and see everything up close while cruising and see how the captain maneuvers around bends in the river with those long boats. They provide a guided excursion in each port, but we opted to do everything on our own. The docks are right in town, so we just walked off the boat and did our own thing. Going through the locks is an amazing experience. The entertainment is nothing like on a cruise ship, though. They bring local talent in to entertain in the evening on some days and other days had no entertainment And, if I remember correctly, the bar wasn’t open all the time. Just in the evening. We met some great people and are talking about doing it again. I just hate the long flights, but, oh, well. 🙂 An unforgettable trip. Go for it!

Thank you!! I'm glad to know you enjoyed it!! Definitely on my bucket list!!