Indian Visa

ak1004

Hello everyone,

This has been mentioned on a few occasions, but I thought it might deserve a separate topic.

We are taking a cruise that ends in Mumbai on Dec.20. Our TA advised us that India does not require a visa when transiting, but this seems incorrect. We are a group of 6 couples. Silversea sent us VOYAGE CONFIRMATION where they mentioned that:

"E-Visas are accepted for entry into India via 5 designated seaports (Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai and Chennai). To obtain an E-Visa for India please apply at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html"

What they failed to mention is that Canadian and UK nationalities are not eligible for e-visa and have to apply to paper visa. And paper visa can take 7-8 weeks.

Any advise what we can do?

The Indian consulate's website has detailed instructions for visas.  It says 30-45 days proecessing time + delivery time. My experience in Vancouver was thar it was quicker. I think if you drop it off and see about pickup that might help with your timelines and you might be able to get expedited pricessing  but that needs to be booked ahead of time.  Please make sure you follow instructions precisely.  Sounds like the TA dropped the ball on this one.  Good luck.

Edited by Nuka
Add comments
  • Like 1

We are in Toronto, and they have similar processing times. The problem is that you have to surrender the passports, which means if they don't come back in time, we cannot travel at all.

How much did it take you in Vancouver?

What happens if we don't have Indian visa? Will SS deny us boarding with no compensation?

And yes, the TA really screwed up, but I believe SS also has some responsibility because they didn't mention that Canada and UK are not eligible for e-visa.  

Well..i think if you don't have the required Visa they can deny boarding so having your passport withoutz the visa may not help.  In the Terms and Conditons of Silversea - it mentions that it is the guest reaponsibility to obtain visas and other required documents.

You should probably fill out the online forms and book an inperson drop off asap.

Sorry to read of this issue for you, but I think you have enough time. When you drop off your documents, please go on a charm offensive to the clerk.

Edited by Nuka

16 minutes ago, Nuka said:

Well..i think if you don't have the required Visa they can deny boarding so having your passport withoutz the visa may not help.  In the Terms and Conditons of Silversea - it mentions that it is the guest reaponsibility to obtain visas and other required documents.

You should probably fill out the online forms and book an inperson drop off asap.

Sorry to read of this issue for you, but I think you have enough time. When you drop off your documents, please go on a charm offensive to the clerk.

Yes, it's guest responsibility to obtain visas, but SS clearly failed to mention about Canadians and UK nationalities excluded from the e-visa program, so hopefully they won't hide behind T&Cs and will do something to help. Unless they just want to keep our money (it's a group of 12 guests that have this issue, not to mention other guests from Canada and the UK).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, it's guest responsibility to obtain visas, but SS clearly failed to mention about Canadians and UK nationalities excluded from the e-visa program, so hopefully they won't hide behind T&Cs and will do something to help. Unless they just want to keep our money (it's a group of 12 guests that have this issue, not to mention other guests from Canada and the UK).

Yes I agree. we brought it up with our travel agent in the UK who thought it would be straightforward. Not so - loads of issues about unavailability of appointments leading to thousands of Indian holidays from the UK being cancelled. We took the decision to cancel ours before the payment was due (cruise in March '23) and have since booked a land based trip to Singapore and Malaysia. Monies already paid have been transferred to our next booking - which is NOT India. SS acknowledged it was incorrect information on the UK info page directing us to the E visa.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HPfoodie said:

Yes I agree. we brought it up with our travel agent in the UK who thought it would be straightforward. Not so - loads of issues about unavailability of appointments leading to thousands of Indian holidays from the UK being cancelled. We took the decision to cancel ours before the payment was due (cruise in March '23) and have since booked a land based trip to Singapore and Malaysia. Monies already paid have been transferred to our next booking - which is NOT India. SS acknowledged it was incorrect information on the UK info page directing us to the E visa.

Well, we are beyond the final payment now and within 60 days prior to sailing, so if we cancel now, we will lose 100% of the payment. Will SS take responsibility for their mistake and allow us to move the money to another booking? 

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Well, we are beyond the final payment now and within 60 days prior to sailing, so if we cancel now, we will lose 100% of the payment. Will SS take responsibility for their mistake and allow us to move the money to another booking? 

I doubt it. I’m just glad we looked into the visa situation before our payment was due. I really hope it works for you. It’s frustrating that 156 countries can apply for the E visa. But not U.K. and Canada. 

Similar recent story with Regent Seven Seas.  We're Canadians.  Found out too late we couldn't get eVisas. Were advised without them we would be refused boarding (Dubai). Asked about a refund. They changed the rules and said we could board but not disembark in any of the three Indian ports. Not a good solution.

It took me 5 tries but I finally reached someone high up in the food chain that agreed to convert our 100% payment to a Future Cruise Credit.

I would try that with Silversea too.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I Was hoping to replace my cancelled tour of India with a trip this January but after reading all the stories of long waits, cancelled appointments and so on, I changed my plans. It seems more trouble than it’s worth. I’d definitely be pointing out to SS that they have a responsibility to make you aware of this before they take your money and should certainly either offer FCC or refund the booking under the circumstances. Maybe your TA can apply a little pressure too as really they should have made you aware also. I Hope it all works out for you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fizook said:

Similar recent story with Regent Seven Seas.  We're Canadians.  Found out too late we couldn't get eVisas. Were advised without them we would be refused boarding (Dubai). Asked about a refund. They changed the rules and said we could board but not disembark in any of the three Indian ports. Not a good solution.

It took me 5 tries but I finally reached someone high up in the food chain that agreed to convert our 100% payment to a Future Cruise Credit.

I would try that with Silversea too.

Good luck.

Thank you. In our case not disembark is not an option because the cruise ends in Mumbai. And we definitely not willing to disembark in the previous port as this would turn a 12 nights cruise into 8 nights cruise..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/visa-rule-change-ruins-india-holiday-plans-for-thousands-wrjwn5z20?fbclid=IwAR3IG2uw4irA4wGUJuH8_hOkuukYAX6Q_p3NEsytNeAnCTv-MnuY7-rET7Y  The Indian gov't policies are making for alot of frustration.  I think together with Silversea advising to get a type of visa which you are ineliglble to apply for +  with Indian gov't brittleness, its only fair that Silversea accomodate.  Sympathetic for the frustration with all of this.  I am sure you and the group only wanted a nice holiday.

Thank you. In our case not disembark is not an option because the cruise ends in Mumbai. And we definitely not willing to disembark in the previous port as this would turn a 12 nights cruise into 8 nights cruise..

UK or Canadian passengers on the 20 December sailing from Bombay to Singapore could in theory fly to Colombo and pick up the Spirit there.  And as Madras has been dropped from the itinerary they would not be entering Indian waters or have to stay on the ship while Americans went ashore for their fun day. This would reduce the cruise by 3 days so I wonder if Silversea would credit them with the saving, perhaps £2000 pp? 

I am reverting to using previous names for Indian cities as I want to punish the Indian authorities for wasting my time and causing me and my wife considerable stress. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

UK or Canadian passengers on the 20 December sailing from Bombay to Singapore could in theory fly to Colombo and pick up the Spirit there.  And as Madras has been dropped from the itinerary they would not be entering Indian waters or have to stay on the ship while Americans went ashore for their fun day. This would reduce the cruise by 3 days so I wonder if Silversea would credit them with the saving, perhaps £2000 pp? 

I am reverting to using previous names for Indian cities as I want to punish the Indian authorities for wasting my time and causing me and my wife considerable stress. 

I agree. If we somehow get our visas on time, this will be my first and last visit to India. There is no need to spend my hard earned money in places that clearly have no respect for tourists. Plenty of places to visit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

This is not an official site and the information is outdated. If you click on the official site - https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/ Canada and the UK are still missing from the list, and if you start the registration, the popup menu still doesn't have Canada and UK

image.thumb.png.ff0d47255f8055039e7dc6bb4d87cfa4.png

4 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

We received a notification from the Government FCO. 

Notification about what? Did you actually try to apply for e-visa?

5 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

We received a notification from the Government FCO. 

Can you share it?  I only read that the Indian gov't was opening up another office for in person visa issuance in the UK.  Maybe more good news will come soon.

Edited by Nuka