Temporary Grab bars in shower on Carnival Spirit

Cinnamon2

We were booked on Carnival Freedom for Dec. 3, 2022 and back in March Carnival switched our ship to Spirit.  We were told to wait for new cabin assignments and could provide no input.  I had an ambulatory accessible stateroom because I need grab bars in the bathroom.  Carnival's cabin assignments and our group of 7 cabins were all near each other on the Freedom and they "shotgunned"  us on the Spirit.  I was no longer assigned an ambulatory accessible cabin.  I spoke to my travel agent, she called Carnival and was told there were no accessible cabins available and that they would give me a shower chair.  Not really helpful, but oh well, she tried.   I know there were cabins available because they did occasionally show up online as available.  They just wanted to sell them for a higher price.  I guess I will use the toilet paper fixture, towel rack fixtures and faucet setup in the shower as grab bars.  They are not made to hold weight, but oh well, no grab bars there.  Question:   Thinking of trying this . . .  Purchase suction cup grab bars and put them up temporarily.  Has anyone ever done this?  Do they work?  Just trying to avoid ripping out the plumbing in my shower, LOL.  

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon2 said:

We were booked on Carnival Freedom for Dec. 3, 2022 and back in March Carnival switched our ship to Spirit.  We were told to wait for new cabin assignments and could provide no input.  I had an ambulatory accessible stateroom because I need grab bars in the bathroom.  Carnival's cabin assignments and our group of 7 cabins were all near each other on the Freedom and they "shotgunned"  us on the Spirit.  I was no longer assigned an ambulatory accessible cabin.  I spoke to my travel agent, she called Carnival and was told there were no accessible cabins available and that they would give me a shower chair.  Not really helpful, but oh well, she tried.   I know there were cabins available because they did occasionally show up online as available.  They just wanted to sell them for a higher price.  I guess I will use the toilet paper fixture, towel rack fixtures and faucet setup in the shower as grab bars.  They are not made to hold weight, but oh well, no grab bars there.  Question:   Thinking of trying this . . .  Purchase suction cup grab bars and put them up temporarily.  Has anyone ever done this?  Do they work?  Just trying to avoid ripping out the plumbing in my shower, LOL.  

Did you file the medical documentation for an accessible stateroom? 

Yes, the suction cup grab bars will work.   

Guest BasicSailor

I would seriously consider getting a handicapped room. If not, I would never trust a suction cup support on a ship in motion.

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Did you file the medical documentation for an accessible stateroom? 

Yes, the suction cup grab bars will work.   

No because it was not required for ambulatory accessible.  It was not a fully accessible room.

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

I would seriously consider getting a handicapped room. If not, I would never trust a suction cup support on a ship in motion.

Not available and they said not available back in March when they switched ships.  I decided to just go with the flow and still plan to sail.  Hope the bathroom fixtures don't fall out due to my leaning on them.

Just now, Cinnamon2 said:

Not available and they said not available back in March when they switched ships.  I decided to just go with the flow and still plan to sail.  Hope the bathroom fixtures don't fall out due to my leaning on them.

There won't be any close enough to safely hold.  I would ask again about the accessible rooms with the medical documentation.  They will bump anyone (upgrade them)  in your stateroom category that has not filed medical documentation to have an accessible room.  

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon2 said:

Suction cups will hold, doesn't matter if the ship is moving.  Just get at a medical supply store

In general, suction grab bars are not ADA compliant and you have to be careful how and where you try to mount them.

I would think you would be liable for any damages to a standard cabin, including ripping the plumbing out or damaging the walls. You seem to be aware of the risks.

• Like 1

FWIW, the suction cup grab bars will work.  They actually work pretty well.  Please note, though, that no temporary measures such as these are intended to hold your body weight.  They will hold enough for you to steady yourself, but if you require bars that will hold your total weight, you may be out of luck.

2 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

No because it was not required for ambulatory accessible.  It was not a fully accessible room.

All accessible rooms require the form to be filled out, not just fully accessible. We even had a regular balcony room, but using a wheelchair, and still had to fill out the form. We have an ambulatory accessible room in April and had to fill the form out. That is probably why you did not get accessible cabin assigned to you.

Two comments:  BlerkOne - I don't believe I would be responsible if I accidentally damaged a towel rack/faucet/fixture if I grabbed it to keep from falling and it broke.  That just doesn't make sense.  Schoifmom - Thanks for the encouragement.  I do realize the suction grab bar would just be to help me from falling in the shower and hopefully not to hold full weight.  Just don't know what the circumstances would be - maybe nothing will happen.  Another thought:  Hmmm, actually, maybe Carnival would be held responsible if I fell due to not having the accessible room that I originally paid for and was then denied so they could sell them for more money.  Maybe I should have a lawyer's phone number handy . . . LOL (JK, but maybe not)

Edited by Cinnamon2

I have had suction cup grab bars in my shower at home, and they work “pretty well,” although I had one that failed as I was holding onto it.  Luckily I didn’t fall, but have now replaced the suction cup ones with permanently installed grab bars.  Not taking any chances.

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon2 said:

Two comments:  BlerkOne - I don't believe I would be responsible if I accidentally damaged a towel rack/faucet/fixture if I grabbed it to keep from falling and it broke.  That just doesn't make sense.  Schoifmom - Thanks for the encouragement.  I do realize the suction grab bar would just be to help me from falling in the shower and hopefully not to hold full weight.  Just don't know what the circumstances would be - maybe nothing will happen.  Another thought:  Hmmm, actually, maybe Carnival would be held responsible if I fell due to not having the accessible room that I originally paid for and was then denied so they could sell them for more money.  Maybe I should have a lawyer's phone number handy . . . LOL (JK, but maybe not)

No, the cruise line is well protected and the medical documentation wasn't summitted.  That is on your TA.  

4 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I have had suction cup grab bars in my shower at home, and they work “pretty well,” although I had one that failed as I was holding onto it.  Luckily I didn’t fall, but have now replaced the suction cup ones with permanently installed grab bars.  Not taking any chances.

Glad to hear they work pretty well.  When I am away from home I try to keep my balance by leaning into the wall of the shower so would not rely on the suction cup bars but they would probably be helpful.  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, the cruise line is well protected and the medical documentation wasn't summitted.  That is on your TA.  

OK thanks.  Yeah no documentation was needed when I originally booked as it was an ambulatory accessible room which just means it has grab bars and is not wheel chair or scooter accessible.  I do believe Carnival was "being very mean" by not honoring my original cabin situation.  Funny that on Freedom the accessible cabin was a regular balcony cabin.  On Spirit the accessible cabins are the very popular ones with the sideway configuration and larger balcony.  Carnival knew they could sell them for more than I paid . . . just not nice.  Oh well, not a deal breaker, I will purchase my suction cup bars and be careful and enjoy the cruise.

After my friend's leg surgery, she got a portable folding aluminum structure, kind of looked like a walker, that she used.  Hers was super strong and extremely stable (our kids would hang and swing on it).  Don't know if that is an option for you.

In any case, hope it works out for you and that you enjoy your cruise!

32 minutes ago, Cinnamon2 said:

OK thanks.  Yeah no documentation was needed when I originally booked as it was an ambulatory accessible room which just means it has grab bars and is not wheel chair or scooter accessible.  I do believe Carnival was "being very mean" by not honoring my original cabin situation.  Funny that on Freedom the accessible cabin was a regular balcony cabin.  On Spirit the accessible cabins are the very popular ones with the sideway configuration and larger balcony.  Carnival knew they could sell them for more than I paid . . . just not nice.  Oh well, not a deal breaker, I will purchase my suction cup bars and be careful and enjoy the cruise.

It is possible for Carnival to allow those without physical needs to book accessible rooms.  There are some (not on Spirit) that are 4Js, very popular.  If you book one of those, you get a notification that you will be bumped should someone submit medical need for an accessible stateroom.  I was also booked on the Freedom in a 4J (non accessible, but front window to deck) and moved to a 4H (obstructed view, window) on the Spirit which is supposed to be an upgrade.  With the loss of the 4J accessible cabins on the move from Freedom to Spirit is possible, they reassigned those with medical documentation first.  

4 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

FWIW, the suction cup grab bars will work.  They actually work pretty well.  Please note, though, that no temporary measures such as these are intended to hold your body weight.  They will hold enough for you to steady yourself, but if you require bars that will hold your total weight, you may be out of luck.

The OP seem to be looking for just that, and not something to assist with stability.

5 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

The point was really you know the risks and no honest lawyer would attempt to sue Carnival when you knew better. If you did, don't be surprised if they counter-sue.

If you see the ground getting closer, don't depend on anything to keep you from hitting it, if it wasn't designed to do so in the first place.

Edited by BlerkOne

Guest BasicSailor
7 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

Hoping things go well for you 😬

My husband has had 3 spinal surgeries and swears by the spa showers. They are much larger, with bars to hold onto with large built in seats to sit on. He used to bring the foldable shower seat but now he only uses the spa showers. They have fresh clean towels, large mirrors, and much nicer hair dryers too. You might try showering there. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

I had an ambulatory accessible stateroom because I need grab bars in the bathroom.

Have you or your TA tried contacting Carnival's Special Needs department rather than just their regular customer service folks? If you were originally booked in an ambulatory accessible room and they didn't put you in one after the ship swap, they should really be doing what they can to accommodate you.

May I suggest calling the number below and seeing if they can help you?

"If you require additional information or need assistance to ensure you have the best accommodations for your needs, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744, ext. 70025"

• Like 1

I have used the temporary shower grab bars (Amazon) and they have become part of my "cruise suitcase"!  They really help me with balance issues especially when the ship is rocking and rolling.  The other tip that I have is that I put down a hand towel on the shower floor to help avoid slipping.  It really seems to help.

• Like 1