Booked an Alaska Cruise for July

70YearOldMan

It's been many years since the wife and I were on a cruise. Our experience was with RC Mexico cruises on various ships many times. The food was always excellent no matter where you ate and the staff were friendly and very helpful. We recently booked a cruise on the Ruby Princess for a July 26th 10 day sailing to Alaska out of San Francisco. What is the food like and the staff on the Ruby Princess if anyone knows. Thanks!

The Ruby is part of the Grand class series of ships, which are beloved by many of us long time cruisers. It wouldn’t be possible to specifically identify the staff of the Ruby because they move around between ships and rotate on and off ship so frequently. In general though, Princess has excellent service, and it feels like going home once you get used to sailing with them. I haven’t sailed since the pandemic, however before that, my husband and I always loved the food, especially Crowne Grill and the Buffet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 70YearOldMan said:

It's been many years since the wife and I were on a cruise. Our experience was with RC Mexico cruises on various ships many times. The food was always excellent no matter where you ate and the staff were friendly and very helpful. We recently booked a cruise on the Ruby Princess for a July 26th 10 day sailing to Alaska out of San Francisco. What is the food like and the staff on the Ruby Princess if anyone knows. Thanks!

We cruised from SF up to Alaska twice this year on the Ruby.  Both cruises were wonderful with awesome service.  
They always have a naturalist onboard as well as an Iditarod musher and their lectures will be well worth attending.  
If you are really lucky, there will be other events such as puppies in the piazza and a Tlingit totem pole carver brought onboard.  
The Alaskan cod on the menu is a real treat, as well.  

• Like 2

I disembarked the Ruby on Sunday. The majority of the items I had were good to very good. I was impressed with the fish, seafood, and the lobster. There were a few misses, like the fish taco served with marinara sauce and the lackluster fish and chips at the pub lunch. The Crown Grill was excellent and the hamburgers on deck were great. Some of the pasta dishes weren’t very good, but there was an outstanding potato gnocchi with homemade tomato sauce. The desserts were all pretty good. While the food isn’t perfect, I think it has improved from earlier this year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We cruised from SF up to Alaska twice this year on the Ruby.  Both cruises were wonderful with awesome service.  
They always have a naturalist onboard as well as an Iditarod musher and their lectures will be well worth attending.  
If you are really lucky, there will be other events such as puppies in the piazza and a Tlingit totem pole carver brought onboard.  
The Alaskan cod on the menu is a real treat, as well.  

On the Hawaii cruise they served Mahi Mahi and that was excellent. Loved the Cod too.

• Like 2