Pickleball on Volendam?

suncityga

4 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

What other ships have pickleball and where is the court located? 

I believe all the larger ships have one or two pickleball courts and they located in multi-sports area about midship in the upper deck.

Know for sure that Eurodam, Rotterdam and N Statendam have pickleball courts.

• Like 1

Played pickleball, cornhole, shuffleboard and basketball on Zaandam Deck 9 during a cruise a few weeks ago. Pickleball court is on the port side. Basketball court is on the starboard side. Both courts are located midship outside but closer to stern. Paddles and balls available for use in storage lockers at the court. 

Zaandam also has 2 table tennis tables located in the Lido Pool area on Deck 8.

Picklebal? Here in Europe, Padel is gaining a lot of popularity, but never heard of Pickleball. Interesting though!

Whenever I see or hear the word pickle, I can not help thinking about a book I once saw in a bookshop in Edinburgh : “How to tickle his Pickle” 🤣🥳

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

The When&Where will list it at 9 or 930 most every day on every HAL ship.  Pickleballers will show up.  You can also set an afternoon play party with others that you meet.  I played every day at 9 and 3, including most port days on the Volendam Grand South America this year.  Bring extra OUTDOOR balls (I recommend Franklin X40s, not orange).  Indoor balls don't work very well, even with the slightest wind.  You can't rely on HAL to know, accomodate, or have enough of the right balls, unfortunately - they will eventually learn if they listen.  They will have paddles but the quality is not great.  Also, HAL should be up and running as the official Pickleball cruise line for the PPA.  They were NOT ready for the South America Grand Voyage earlier this year.

The Volendam did, however, stripe a second court and buy another net during the 5th or 10.5 weeks of the Grand S.A..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:25 AM, GHCruiser7 said:

The When&Where will list it at 9 or 930 most every day on every HAL ship.  Pickleballers will show up.  You can also set an afternoon play party with others that you meet.  I played every day at 9 and 3, including most port days on the Volendam Grand South America this year.  Bring extra OUTDOOR balls (I recommend Franklin X40s, not orange).  Indoor balls don't work very well, even with the slightest wind.  You can't rely on HAL to know, accomodate, or have enough of the right balls, unfortunately - they will eventually learn if they listen.  They will have paddles but the quality is not great.  Also, HAL should be up and running as the official Pickleball cruise line for the PPA.  They were NOT ready for the South America Grand Voyage earlier this year.

The Volendam did, however, stripe a second court and buy another net during the 5th or 10.5 weeks of the Grand S.A..

Hi,

Is the second court for pickleball ball on the starboard side where the basketball court is?  When we were on the Zaandam in February they had one pickleball court and had pickleball lessons at 9:00, tournament at 10:00, and then they had open play available on a reservation basis.  Are the reservations made at the front desk, or do you sign up with the sports director?  My husband and I will be on the 56-Day South Pacific cruise in September with lots of sea days, and I look forward to playing.

I was on the Volendam.  The port side had a striped P court, no basketball. We asked them to stripe the starboard side (with basketball) and the did, and bought a second net.  Zaandam is the same size as the Volendam but I don't know what they've done.  We never had to make reservations on Volendam; just went and played, any time of day.

18 hours ago, GHCruiser7 said:

I was on the Volendam.  The port side had a striped P court, no basketball. We asked them to stripe the starboard side (with basketball) and the did, and bought a second net.  Zaandam is the same size as the Volendam but I don't know what they've done.  We never had to make reservations on Volendam; just went and played, any time of day.

Thank you!  We will be on the Volendam, so it’s nice to know they have two courts.  Looking forward to playing lots of pickleball 😊

On 4/12/2023 at 6:25 AM, GHCruiser7 said:

Good recommendation regarding "bring extra OUTDOOR balls!"  We were on the Rotterdam last year for a Europe cruise and all of the balls became unusable after a week of play.  Holland America couldn't get replacement balls for several days due to the remoteness of the ports we visited.  We ended up purchasing two sets of children's tennis racquets and balls at one of the ports and created a new game of Pickleball using those sets while waiting on Pickleball balls.  It was a lot of fun and very challenging!  LOL