Which cruise? Celebrity Millennium northbound to Alaska or Celebrity Eclipse Vancouver RT?

Sigyn

I have narrowed down my first cruise to Alaska (I've been there on land before) to two options from Celebrity. I think my husband and I will like the vibe on Celebrity, based on what friends tell me, and we'll enjoy the service and pampering if we decide to step it up to the Retreat. 

Here are the two cruises I'm considering that work with the time we have available to cruise while our son is at summer camp. Which do you think is best? One is northbound and one is roundtrip from Vancouver. The prices for one-way flights to Vancouver and from Anchorage versus RT from Vancouver are very similar. Already did my homework. So it's really about which ship is best and the best itinerary with ideal port times.

I've never cruised on Celebrity before. Seems like the perfect time when we are kid free with our son at camp. We are 51 and 54 years old, and we like to relax with wine, cocktails, and spend our time on deck looking for cool things to see, and the occasional theater show while at sea. 

Celebrity 

Eclipse

July 9-16

Day 1: Vancouver depart 4:30 pm

Day 2: Inside Passage cruising

Day 3: Icy Strait Point, 1:30 - 10 pm

Day 4: Hubbard Glacier, cruising

Day 5: Juneau, 7:30 am - 8 pm

Day 6: Ketchikan, 2 pm - 8:30 pm

Day 7: Inside Passage cruising

Day 8: Vancouver, arrive 6 am, disembark

$3,796 for veranda cabin (all included)

$8,827 for Retreat on deck 12, sky suite

Celebrity

Millennium 

July 7-14

Day 1: Vancouver depart 5 pm

Day 2: Inside Passage cruising

Day 3: Ketchikan, 7 am - 3 pm

Day 4: Icy Strait Point, 9 am - 7 pm

Day 5: Juneau, 7 am -9:30 pm

Day 6: Skagway, 7 am -4 pm

Day 7: Hubbard Glacier cruising

Day 7: Seward, arrive 5 am, disembark

$5,540 for Deluxe Veranda Stateroom (larger veranda, regular ones not available) on deck 6 

(Or Prime Concierge Class deck 8 midship regular veranda for $5,964 all included)

$10,773 for the Retreat on deck 6

Edited by njsmom

I have only sailed on Edge and Solstice Class ships so I would go for the Vancouver Round Trip.  We really enjoyed our two sailing on Eclipse.  

Full disclosure, our two Celebrity cruises in 2023 are both going to be aboard Millennium.  

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have only sailed on Edge and Solstice Class ships so I would go for the Vancouver Round Trip.  We really enjoyed our two sailing on Eclipse.  

Full disclosure, our two Celebrity cruises in 2023 are both going to be aboard Millennium.  

The Eclipse is beautiful. I really like the look of the Millennium. It's a classic. I think the itinerary might be a bit more appealing to me, with Skagway instead of Icy Strait Point. We lose Glacier Bay by doing Celebrity, so with Seward at the end, we could add in a few days inland if we choose.

The Millennium has been revolutionized so will have a retreat deck and updates throughout.  It is also a smaller ship.  I personally am a huge fan of the M class ships.

The Eclipse has not been revolutionized (although that didn't stop us from booking a cruise on her next spring).  She is also a lovely ship but just hasn't been completely updated yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The Millennium has been revolutionized so will have a retreat deck and updates throughout.  It is also a smaller ship.  I personally am a huge fan of the M class ships.

The Eclipse has not been revolutionized (although that didn't stop us from booking a cruise on her next spring).  She is also a lovely ship but just hasn't been completely updated yet.

I saw that about the update on the Millennium. She's beautiful! It's ironic because just a few weeks ago I was worried about older ships. I did my homework and realized that, like with people, older can easily be better. Especially when you don't want to deal with a huge ship. A nip and tuck here and there and everything is better than new!

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, njsmom said:

The Eclipse is beautiful. I really like the look of the Millennium. It's a classic. I think the itinerary might be a bit more appealing to me, with Skagway instead of Icy Strait Point. We lose Glacier Bay by doing Celebrity, so with Seward at the end, we could add in a few days inland if we choose.

Based on your post Millie has Skagway and ISP

To me they are very different but both great! 

I have sailed on both these ships and done both these itineraries. I love the Eclipse but I would choose the Millennium. I did a Transpacific on her in the fall of 2019, post-revolutionized and she is in amazing shape. They did a great job. 

The itinerary is nicer too. If you go to Skagway make sure and do the White Pass Rail excursion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Based on your post Millie has Skagway and ISP

To me they are very different but both great! 

You are quite the experienced Alaskan cruiser! You're right, I still have ISP!

7 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

I have sailed on both these ships and done both these itineraries. I love the Eclipse but I would choose the Millennium. I did a Transpacific on her in the fall of 2019, post-revolutionized and she is in amazing shape. They did a great job. 

The itinerary is nicer too. If you go to Skagway make sure and do the White Pass Rail excursion.

I know, the railway looks so interesting!!!!

Edited by njsmom
  • Haha 1

Full disclosure: Haven’t been to Alaska but doing research.

I think this is one cruise where I would choose first based on itinerary, second by line that covers my “must-dos” and then third by ship within that line. Skagway from what I hear is a definite must-do from many people. I personally also like itineraries that permit a couple of cruise days or scenic viewing days in order fully enjoy the ship!

We did Millie in later August. We did a B2B. Vancouver is a beautiful city and easy to get around. If you want to add a couple of days prior to your cruise its a fun city. The train is very easy to take to the cruise port from the airport.  We did "Move Up" and ended up in the Sky Suite it was nice but not necessary. Only used the Retreat outdoor area a couple of times. Did not spend much time on the balcony except in Hubbards Bay. Services was outstanding and we did enjoy Luminae. Getting on the ship in Vancouver is very easy. The ships docks at the Pan Pacific Hotel - there are several hotels nearby.

I am a big Celebrity fan, however if this is your first cruise to Alaska I would advise you NOT to sail on Celebrity. Reason: HAL, Princess, and NCL all offer an itinerary that Celebrity does not. These lines have some itineraries which have National Park Service permission to sail through amazing Glacier Bay. IMHO it is a must see…indeed one of the most beautiful sights in the world. We have cruised there twice and found it amazing. BTW, we cruised on Eclipse a few months ago RT Vancouver and had a great cruise…but everyone should experience Glacier Bay at least once.

• Like 1

As someone who actually lives in Alaska and had done both itineraries on both ships I also would go with the Millennium.  We spent two weeks on the Millennium in September 2021 and were on the Eclipse in April 2022.  The revolutionized Millie is spectacular.

Just a quick comment re Glacier Bay -- those glaciers are in rapid retreat.  The incredible melting is so visible in aerial photos taken between the 1940s and a few years ago.  Would Glacier Bay even be designated a national park now?  In contrast Hubbard is advancing.

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

As someone who actually lives in Alaska and had done both itineraries on both ships I also would go with the Millennium.  We spent two weeks on the Millennium in September 2021 and were on the Eclipse in April 2022.  The revolutionized Millie is spectacular.

Just a quick comment re Glacier Bay -- those glaciers are in rapid retreat.  The incredible melting is so visible in aerial photos taken between the 1940s and a few years ago.  Would Glacier Bay even be designated a national park now?  In contrast Hubbard is advancing.

All the more reason to see GB before it disappears!

• Like 1

Would a south bound itinerary work if sailing Celebrity? 

Hubbard Glacier is best experienced after the morning fog has disappeared and that means sailing from Seward south. 

There are also some itineraries that substitute Sitka.

If given a choice I'd also do the Millie.

The aft (stern) cabins on deck 11 are the absolute best for wake and nature watching. They are Aqua class cabins and book up quickly. My favorite is 1140.

The best whale watches are from both Juneau and Icy Straits.