Pickleball

On 10/28/2022 at 6:57 PM, RegencyBob said:

I'll be on Explorer of the Seas in December 2023 and would like to know if the sports court is set up for pickleball (and if paddles and balls are available). Thanks.

They did have pickleball events so I assume they supplied equipment.  

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 6:57 PM, RegencyBob said:

I'll be on Explorer of the Seas in December 2023 and would like to know if the sports court is set up for pickleball (and if paddles and balls are available). 

Welcome to CC and coming out of lurk mode.

All equipment is supplied. Look at the current sailing in the app to see the times.

For those wondering: mods move threads way after the fact into their proper section of CC.

Edited by Biker19

Every ship I have been on over the past several months (Wonder, Odyssey, Harmony, Mariner, Freedom and Independence) has had pickleball play for several hours every morning, which I never miss. RCI provides paddles and balls, but the vast majority of players bring their own paddles. I also recommend bringing a ball from home, since the balls on the ship are not very good. 

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Every ship I have been on over the past several months (Wonder, Odyssey, Harmony, Mariner, Freedom and Independence) has had pickleball play for several hours every morning, which I never miss. RCI provides paddles and balls, but the vast majority of players bring their own paddles. I also recommend bringing a ball from home, since the balls on the ship are not very good. 

I am curious if I am a beginner, would it be okay or accepted for me to play?  I know some folks play sports and get a little competitive or frustrated when someone is not as skilled.  I have never participated in open play time on board a ship for any sports activity before.  I would be nervous about signing up to play and folks being frustrated with a beginner LOL.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, slyster said:

I am curious if I am a beginner, would it be okay or accepted for me to play?  I know some folks play sports and get a little competitive or frustrated when someone is not as skilled.  I have never participated in open play time on board a ship for any sports activity before.  I would be nervous about signing up to play and folks being frustrated with a beginner LOL.

On every RCI cruise I have been on there are always way more players than courts (2 or 3 courts depending on the ship). The process has been the same on every ship I have been on…4 players per court(s) play a game to 11 (or 9 if it is really crowded), then the next four players in line go on that court(s) and play a game and you simply keep repeating the process. 

As long as you understand the rules of the game and know how to keep score, it normally isn’t a big deal to most players. You just likely won’t be on the court very long since the game will probably be a quick one. 

19 hours ago, RegencyBob said:

Our plans have changed and we'll be on Celebrity Reflection instead of RCI Explorer of the Seas. I don't think they have pickleball. Bummer

Just an FYI, Celebrity recently added pickleball to nine of their ships. Unfortunately Reflection is not one of them. 

Every ship that we've been on with Pickleball has been too windy to have any sort of enjoyment.  The ball is too light and get carried away by breezes on the Sports court.   Perhaps if they had is on port days it would not be as bad, but sea days are just a waste if you try to play...

• Like 1

I've played so far on the Allure and the Harmony .  I must have been fortunate as wind was not a factor for those 2 separate weeks.   

For those who want to try it, well that is how I got into pickleball.  Tried it on the Allure and then I was hooked.  I have been playing for close to a year now at least twice a week this winter and 3-4 times a week in summer .   

It is fun and everyone is on vacation mode on a cruise...  You still get the serious player on the ship but I play on occasion with some at home too.  I do not let it bother me if they get grumpy when I missed a few shots..... it is not an Olympic sport yet.  lol

• Like 2

Every ship I've been on welcomes newbies. Usually there is someone (not a crew member) coordinating the games. Walk up, tell them you're new and they will fit you in, including giving you some instructions on how to play. Pickelball is people friendly.

• Like 2