Does medallion app work well when ordering drinks or is it better to go to a bar?

korky1

Don’t know if it has changed since our last medallion cruise in 2020, but I found that the main problem with ordering from the app was that you couldn’t order a specific brand, like Jack Daniels or Maker’s Mark.

11 minutes ago, richsea said:

Don’t know if it has changed since our last medallion cruise in 2020, but I found that the main problem with ordering from the app was that you couldn’t order a specific brand, like Jack Daniels or Maker’s Mark.

Hopefully they've updated their system to include basic comments by now.

8 minutes ago, richsea said:

Don't think it's changed. We tried ordering from the app for the first time on the Enchanted last month. Not only could we not figure out how to "customize" the order with specific brand requests, but there were some drinks that simply couldn't be ordered via the app as it didn't appear on the list of available drinks.

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

Don't think it's changed. We tried ordering from the app for the first time on the Enchanted last month. Not only could we not figure out how to "customize" the order with specific brand requests, but there were some drinks that simply couldn't be ordered via the app as it didn't appear on the list of available drinks.

Looks like we'll be running to the bars for our orders most of the time.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

The concept that Princess want to try and minimise commission,  is, in my opinion Machiavellian in the extreme, and not supported by the physical evidence.

I never said Princess wanted to minimise commission. I said the guys support each other by most often, but not always pushing the orders through a drinks waiter's account.

Regards John

27 minutes ago, john watson said:

I never said Princess wanted to minimise commission. I said the guys support each other by most often, but not always pushing the orders through a drinks waiter's account.

Regards John

Ok John, just a misunderstanding on my part.

You are right though, in that if a waiter is "spare" at the bar, the order will go through them, but if not, the bar tender will enter the order themselves.

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Ok John, just a misunderstanding on my part.

You are right though, in that if a waiter is "spare" at the bar, the order will go through them, but if not, the bar tender will enter the order themselves.

Very true, a lot depends on the venue and time of day. The sushi place did drinks as I recall with direct sales however the waiters covered the atrium in general not just near the bar so were sparse and distant  When at the Platinum lounge at the aft which went over to DJ big dance place at night the drinks sales volumes escalated later on.  The counter sales were more difficult but you could get them at the bar.  The drinks waiters split into ones taking orders and ones delivering the drinks.  It was an industrial process and after a day or so the order takers knew where they could get the most sales and what drinks people have.  I think their module displays you ordering history and they know your name and cabin number.

Regards John

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks. That’s too bad. Aside from maybe ordering a beer or bloody Mary, I’ll just hail a server or visit a bar.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, richsea said:

Thanks. That’s too bad. Aside from maybe ordering a beer or bloody Mary, I’ll just hail a server or visit a bar.

We generally just flagged down a waiter when we wanted to order. Given how short-staffed they were, it sometimes took a while to get our drinks (I can remember having exactly one waiter for all 50 or 60 people in a packed Crooners for example). I didn't want to go near the bar to order, with every bar stool taken and half a dozen others standing behind them trying to order, the bartenders were absolutely overwhelmed most of the time.  Hopefully things will be better when we board the Sky next week

On the Discovery last month we found plenty of staff available, and going to the bar, flagging down a server or ordering from the app was quick and efficient.  For us it depended  on the venue on how we ordered, we mostly enjoyed our pool days at the retreat and having the bar close by made it easier to just walk up and get a drink.  I will say ordering from a hot tub on the main pool deck through the app while watching the Chiefs Bills game was pretty awesome.  When we did utilize the app it worked well for us.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, korky1 said:

this will be first time cruising with the medallion.  Just wondering if you have had success when using it around the ship to order drinks. 

It depends on where you are and when it is. If you are by one the pools during the day, there are enough servers walking around there is no need to go to a bar.

If it is prime time in the Piazza and the bars are crowded, I preferred using the app rather than crowding into the bar, past people.

I ordered 4 waters to our cabin every morning and every afternoon, only once did it take more than 5 minutes in 25-30 orders.

Funny story, I learned on Day 1 at sea that they deliver to you, wherever you are. I was in our stateroom, ordered 4 waters. I assumed (we all know why THAT is bad) they would deliver to where I was when i ordered. No they deliver to where you ARE. I ordered the 4 waters for DW and I left for my morning walk. I went up to 15 to check something out, down to 6 to grab a spare Patter and then the Promenade. I was booking along at a good clip and stopped to check my steps number. A breathless server walks up with a tray, "Sir Scott I have your waters".

The poor guy had been chasing me for 10 minutes. Luckily I still had my wallet. I tipped him $10 and apologized profusely....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I went up to 15 to check something out, down to 6 to grab a spare Patter and then the Promenade. I was booking along at a good clip and stopped to check my steps number. A breathless server walks up with a tray, "Sir Scott I have your waters".

The poor guy had been chasing me for 10 minutes. Luckily I still had my wallet. I tipped him $10 and apologized profusely....

Similar thing happened to us we sat together in bar ordered two drinks one of which was taken to cabin as DD had left medallion in the cabin. I got mine fine.

Regards John

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rjack22 said:

Can you order food to your cabin on embarkation day?   Like lunch?

Sure can. I think the only place you can't have items delivered is the dining room.

We ordered may times even when nearby the buffet as there were items offered using the Medallion which weren't at the buffet. (desserts)