Is the 40% off sale a deal?

Ace_Caliente

16 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The 50% hit in the US as well.  It does not look like the prices are higher THAN before though.

Thanks for the heads up! Our fare dropped $100 per person. About half of 10%, but I'll take it. Re-pricing the fare as we speak! 

On 10/28/2022 at 10:00 PM, Ace_Caliente said:

I see NCL is running a 40% off sale, and it appears it was just extended a few days. Anyway, my question, are the prices listed particularly good? As in, unusually good? We're looking at taking a cruise in June or July, but aren't yet sure exactly what we want. We're leaning towards Caribbean, but we're not sure. I've heard a lot of good deals usually come late winter or early spring ("Wave season"?), and since we're not really yet ready to book I'm wondering if I'm likely to miss out on a good price if I wait too long or if this is one of those "revolving sales".

Let me make this very easy to understand. NCLs 40% off sale is equivalent to this...

If I charge $5 for a gallon of milk but then have a 40% off sale and increase the price of a gallon of milk to $10 is that a good deal? That's the NCL 40% off sale for ya.

14 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Let me make this very easy to understand. NCLs 40% off sale is equivalent to this...

If I charge $5 for a gallon of milk but then have a 40% off sale and increase the price of a gallon of milk to $10 is that a good deal? That's the NCL 40% off sale for ya.

Well, it's a 50% off sale now!

That said, have you happened to recheck the prices of any existing NCL bookings today?  Some are repricing at meaningful reductions.  I personally repriced 9 future bookings today, and it was WELL worth my time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That said, have you happened to recheck the prices of any existing NCL bookings today?  Some are repricing at meaningful reductions.  I personally repriced 9 future bookings today, and it was WELL worth my time.

I only have 1 existing NCL booking that's coming up pretty soon and the pricing on it is almost double what it was when we booked. We've been moving our business over to Celebrity as much as possible because the value just isn't there with NCL anymore...IMO.

2 hours ago, davencl said:

Yes they are a little lower on the cruise I was pricing but not by 10%.   I.E.  with 40% off an inside was $789.  Now with 50% off it's 749.  If you do the math it's clear they raised the base price.   Also the free airfare for second guest has been deleted.

I still see the free airfare for the second person listed as part of the deal.

I checked our 2023 sailing and it's gone down $800 or about 10%. i'll call NCL tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

I checked our 2023 sailing and it's gone down $800 or about 10%. i'll call NCL tomorrow.

Are you sure you want to wait until tomorrow?  Prices can change (literally) overnight.

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Cruise I've been looking at dropped $180 for a solo. About a 10% drop.

39 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

Yes you are correct.  I had checked fares for my sailing Jan. 15 which is at 75 days before sailing.  It doesn't show up when I try a mock booking but it does say in the title free airfare for second person.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Also well worth my time today.  Saved on three of our four cruises booked including a group one which we are covering the cost of four cabins so that came out to a nice sum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I saved $600 on an upgrade for a cruise later this month and $230 on a cruise for 2023.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you sure you want to wait until tomorrow?  Prices can change (literally) overnight.

i called and was told that they will only do 1 price drop on that reservation prior to final payment so I am going to hold off for a bit since it's over a year away.

21 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

... was told that they will only do 1 price drop on that reservation prior to final payment so I am going to hold off for a bit since it's over a year away.

Nonsense, AFAIAC ... I call that BS.  If the perks do not change or you aren't losing anything with the switch ... odds are you won't lose your chosen cabin (there's a chance, as always - being the conditional risks involved) just go ahead and get the new & lowered price now/tomorrow, especially if you are dealing with NCL direct and/or working with a good & trusty TA.  Otherwise, just instruct them to cancel the existing reservation & book a new one from scratch - since you aren't losing out on anything if future/cruise credits that're applied might be involved.  

Also, some of the 2023 sailings are offering, still double points (and up) when you (re)book - you need to check it carefully after logging into your MyNCL account to do a mock booking, it's not always listed on the main page's promo section when you do a generic search by ships/ports/dates/destinations, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i called and was told that they will only do 1 price drop on that reservation prior to final payment so I am going to hold off for a bit since it's over a year away.

I've been told the same thing by some agents, yet one of the price drops we processed today was the second reprice for that booking.  It's irrelevant in most cases, since I can just make a new booking at a lower price and cancel the original at any time prior to final payment.  If the price drops, I'm locking it in before they change their minds.

That said, we can't rule out the possibility that somebody at NCL got the cart before the horse this time and the prices will be higher very soon (e.g. midnight eastern tonight).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

Not true.   We booked one of our cruises in April 2022 for March 2023 and have now taken advantage of five price drops totalling almost $2800.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

For my 2023 cruise, i already did 3 price drops before final payment

• Like 1

I've been checking prices on my 2023 cruise since I booked last year and the prices have almost doubled.  In my optimistic heart, I keep checking.  Am I understanding that if the price drops before final payment, I should be able to request a price adjustment?  I'd rather not cancel and rebook.  

As many have said, if you're before final payment date there's no limit on the number of price adjustments they'll make.

Once you get past final payment the rules are different.

My next trip is February and we had 3 significant price drops before final payment (total of about 4K). With this new sale, the price is another $400 lower. We're past final payment, so not worth it to me to call, but I'm keeping an eye on that owners suite. When the price on that drops to where I would have paid it anyway with an upgrade bid I'll just call for the upgrade.

• Thanks 1

Just now, vacation44 said:

Wonderful and glad you called again. And remember to keep on checking for future price drops. 

thanks and I will.

i'm already obsessed with this trip because I spent a lot of time stalking the website until the cabin we wanted was available (forward facing club balcony on the Sun--there are only 2 and i kept checking to see if one got released). now I've got another project, lol.