Love Boat theme - is it really helping Princess?

CT D&N

On 11/1/2022 at 8:18 PM, Daniel A said:

Peacock is NBC, Paramount is CBS.  I got a promotional e-mail today and if you scroll down to the bottom of the web page, they do have an ad for the Real Love Boat streaming on Paramount+.  I don't usually pay much attention to the promotional materials.  I certainly don't pay any attention at all to 'reality' shows. 

The show has already been canceled by CBS and will not get a second season on that network.

10 hours ago, j4lambert said:

The show has already been canceled by CBS and will not get a second season on that network.

I just don't have any real concerns about the Real Love Boat show, as I never wanted to watch it in the first place.  I didn't really follow the original series either, but I think that connection with Princess is cute.  

Maybe Princess' next vessel will be the Enterprise and it will take us where no cruisers have gone before...🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe Princess' next vessel will be the Enterprise and it will take us where no cruisers have gone before...🤣 

Perhaps, but if you don't want to wait, you could try Celebrity, where you can travel To Infinity and Beyond!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

There is a series on HBO called Avenue 5 about a space cruise ship 40 years in the future. Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad are two of it's actors.  https://www.hbo.com/avenue-5  It is thrown off course and must spend years in space trying to get back home. The first season was funny and filled with witty banter between the characters. The second season, now in place, has lost much of it's fun factor and I stopped watching it. It will have to get back home without me. 

55 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

There is a series on HBO called Avenue 5 about a space cruise ship 40 years in the future. Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad are two of it's actors.  https://www.hbo.com/avenue-5  It is thrown off course and must spend years in space trying to get back home. The first season was funny and filled with witty banter between the characters. The second season, now in place, has lost much of it's fun factor and I stopped watching it. It will have to get back home without me. 

Sounds like they need Guy Williams, June Lockhart, Billy Mummy and Angela Cartwright to be on that space ship...😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Sounds like they need Guy Williams, June Lockhart, Billy Mummy and Angela Cartwright to be on that space ship...😊

I was thinking a movie star, a professor, maybe a tall guy in a red shirt and a white hat...

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:26 AM, CT D&N said:

Curious how the Princess community feels about the whole Love Boat theme and is it really helping Princess?  I'm probably in the the minority but I'm finding the whole Love Boat thing a little tacky and wondering if it really is a good marketing choice for Princess to the extent it has and continues to be promoted.  I've cruised with Princess several times and do so based on the staff, service, and overall experience.  However, if I had never cruised Princess I certainly wouldn't be persuaded to do so because of the Love Boat theme.  Actually, the whole Love Boat thing would likely have me looking at other cruise lines such as Celebrity, HAL, etc.  While I appreciate the historical connection Princess has to Love Boat, I'm left wondering if it's time to move on so Princess can best market and compete moving forward.

I am not a fan, and apparently I am not the only one.  The show has been cancelled.

I also grew up watching the original Love Boat and for kicks, I'll watch the old series in my stateroom.... once in a while.

While I totally get goosebumps when I hear the Love Boat Theme while leaving port or going under the Golden Gate Bridge, that's as far as I want it pushed down my throat.

I was on the Discovery when they had a party for the new cast/crew and a few of the guests that were on the old show, none of the passengers were involved in the party.   It delayed our sailing from 4 pm to 10 pm and a large portion of the ship was blocked off to guests (deck 17 aft, Take-Five, some of the aft elevators, etc).   While this didn't ruin my cruise, I was getting tired of the new "Real Love Boat" theme being pushed down my throat everywhere I turned.   The parties, white & gold night, the gift shop, the banners, t-shirts, etc. were everywhere.    Never, ever, ever again will I go on a Love Boat themed cruise.     I just want to cruise without all the pomp and circumstance.....Call me old fashioned, I don't care 😁

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

We were actually on the Regal Princess while the filming was going on.  I don't like many reality shows to begin with but I found The Real Love Boat was boring.  I would have watched more if they spent less time talking and more time out exploring the wonderful sights of the Med.  As far as the horns blasting out the theme song, it made our cruise ship stand out from the rest.  When the other ships left and blew their horns, no one onshore was watching.  When we departed each port and the horns blasted, we could see all kinds of people waving from shore.  As someone previously mentioned, perhaps it is because we are older and still remember the original show.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure DW and I saw all of the original Love Boat episodes, but know next to nothing about any new version. 

We're on our first Princess cruise right now and we're surprised at how hard they seem to be milking nostalgia for a cheesy 40-year old TV show.   Heard the horns play the theme and looked at each other with "is that really a thing?" looks on our faces.   We asked each other essentially what the OP asked. Is this endearing for Princess cruisers? Over the top? Cheesy? 

Interesting to read the perspectives, for sure. 

Princess has resurrected the "Love Boat" theme song in their new advertising.  There are now 2 new televisions ads.  

I loved the old series.  Watched the new one out of curiosity, but couldn't get connected.  Glad to see them bring back the calmer ads.  Crossing my fingers (lots of them) that Princess will see their error and return to the classy company they were before JP arrived and destroyed the brand.

There are companies that can help you measure the effectiveness of your advertising.  Clever advertisers employ them pre-campaign.  I don’t know what category Princess falls into.  

The RCCL ads featuring Iggy Pop’s “Lust for Life” always worked on me. In fact, when I hear the song, I still think about booking a cruise.