Eastern or Southern Cruise

In the process of planning a huge family vacation. Does anyone have any suggestions on either choosing an Eastern Cruise on the Explorer or the Southern Cruise on the Adventure? We plan on going in February 2007. I just returned from a Western Cruise on the Radiance. We had a great time.

We love the itineraries that include either Coco Cay or Labadee. Also, St. Thomas is beautiful. Took the ferry to St. John's for a beach day. So nice! Good shopping in St. Thomas, as well. Aside from that, I've never much cared where we go--as long as it's warm! The cruise is the thing for me!

I chose southern on the Adventure (aruba route)10/8/2006 it included the eastern islands of San Juan, St. Thomas and St.Maarten as well as Aruba and Curacao. I have been to Nassau (didn't like, too dirty and too many people offering to sell us drugs).

The only factor that may change your mind is airfare. It can be quiete expensive. I suggest that you start searching fares now to get an idea of price and then book airfare on your own exactly 330days out. I have been watching for months and I didn't book when prices were 398pp(exactly 330 days out), now they are 500+pp. ( BOOK EARLY)

You will also want travel insurance,check out STA travel.com they have travel insurance for great rates (48.00 for 8 days travel) their coverage is comparable to others. They will sell travel insurance to anyone (not just students).

Hope this helps

Lisa

we were on the serenade this past december and did the southern route....it was st. martaan, antigua, barbados, and st. lucia. the weather was 85 and sunny everyday and we have been on 2 prior cruises and the weather was sunny and windy, cool and drizzly. i know weather is a crap shoot....but the further south you go the more chances you have of better weather.

this december we're doing the...coco cay, st. martaan, st. thomas route on the mariner.

there is something to be said for starting your cruise in florida or puerto rico. the airfare to puerto rico could be double the airfare to florida.

To me it's a matter of sea days... I have never taken an Eastern Caribbean cruise (versus 5 western) because of the days at sea... Although it seems lately that the ships are going faster... I like the Southern Caribbean better because you only get 1 (or two) days at sea... compared to the 2-3 on the eastern caribbean... San Juan shouldn't be a problem since you can visit it either way...

I live in Miami, and although it is very nice once you get off the ship to get in your car and go home, I find it more interesting to fly to San Juan and explore other farther away islands...

Sweetly, as far as the airfare issue.... we are from CT, i see you are from NY, we booked out airfare late Feb for May....not that early, from Hartford to San Juan and paid $340 pp. I know TA said I could get cheaper out of a NY airport (more direct flights) but I didn't want to drive 3 hours to the airport.... we actually priced a cruise out of Galveston for the same week and airfare to houston was MORE expensive than airfare to San Juan. Just a thought.... shop around !

Jen

Adventure of the Seas….. 62 days

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Explorer of the Seas 2004

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Premier’s Olympia 1999/ 1992

Monarch of the Seas 1994

My vote would be to do the Southern. Two reasons....

1) There's a goood chance you'll do some of the eastern ports again someday ...

2) tHE EASTERN AND WESTERN Cruises don't include Aruba so Bring everyone to an island that they may not have a chance to get to so easily via ship.

But ya know...... It's ALL GOOD! ;-)

:D I've been East, Western and Southern....most interesting and beautiful is the Southern....St. Maarten, St. lucia unbelievable....we are heading for Abruba and Curacao this time....just a better trip....Southern....

I'd do southern.

Also, if you are booking for a large group, say over 15 people, most airlines will give you a group rate. You;d all need to travel from the same place. Also, you can play one airline off another...like hi airline 1, how much, then you call airline 2 and say airline 1 said xxx dollars, bet they beat it a little.

i did this to take 14 relatives to hawaii. they wound up using a TA and paying MORE than we would have my way. I used marriott points to get airmiles and got 1 ticket from cheaptickets. oh well....mom & i made out great.

Archived