Airfare from different airports passport card

ddlb

I was told when getting a quote from a NCL TA that two people could be flying from different airports and would still be able to get the second air free. Has anyone ever done this? I’m sure I read it had to be from the same airport.

The same TA also told me that an enhanced license was not good enough for a closed loop cruise, that you also had to provide a certified birth certificate. I read online that it was good enough but that doesn’t mean anything.

If anyone has encountered either situation, please respond. Would a passport card suffice instead of a certified birth certificate? 

13 minutes ago, ddlb said:

Has anyone ever done this? I’m sure I read it had to be from the same airport.

I seem to recall someone in one of the airfare threads a couple months ago mentioned that they were able to get different gateway airports on the same reservation.  It definitely requires contacting NCL over the phone.

15 minutes ago, ddlb said:

The same TA also told me that an enhanced license was not good enough for a closed loop cruise, that you also had to provide a certified birth certificate.

Baloney.  If the license is actually an enhanced driver's license it is nearly identical to a passport card.

Here's New York's site regarding the enhanced license program - https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-enhanced-driver-license-edl

Specifically this part - 

An Enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) is a New York State DMV issued document that you can use instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. New York's EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable for air travel between these countries

You should check the page in reference to the state that issued the EDL, but they should be identical.  Most states don't have an EDL program.  In fact, only a few do - New York, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, Washington. https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they. So be sure the traveler ACTUALLY has an EDL rather than the RealID license that is going to be required for domestic air travel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ddlb said:

I was told when getting a quote from a NCL TA that two people could be flying from different airports and would still be able to get the second air free. Has anyone ever done this? I’m sure I read it had to be from the same airport.

The same TA also told me that an enhanced license was not good enough for a closed loop cruise, that you also had to provide a certified birth certificate. I read online that it was good enough but that doesn’t mean anything.

If anyone has encountered either situation, please respond. Would a passport card suffice instead of a certified birth certificate? 

Yes...two people on the reservation can fly from different cities...My brother and I did this on the Norwegian Joy last November. You'll have to ask your PCC to make the arrangements, but it can be done.

While the enhanced license is useable, you also have to have proof of citizenship...that is where the certified birth certificate come in. However, I believe that the passport card would suffice, but you have to remember that you can't fly with the passport card internationally, so if something happens mid-cruise you won't be able to fly home.

46 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

While the enhanced license is useable, you also have to have proof of citizenship

an enhanced license IS proof of citizenship, sufficient for cruising anyway.  See my post before yours.  It's a WHTI-approved travel document.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ddlb said:

If you have an Alabama drivers license you do not have an enhanced drivers license. They are not issued in Alabama. See post #2 above. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 10/31/2022 at 6:37 PM, Charles4515 said:

If you have an Alabama drivers license you do not have an enhanced drivers license. They are not issued in Alabama. See post #2 above. 

I have a star license in AL did not really know what an enhanced license was. But friend is from Mi who will be with me. Thanks for info!

1 hour ago, ddlb said:

I have a star license in AL did not really know what an enhanced license was. But friend is from Mi who will be with me. Thanks for info!

The "star license" is a REAL ID license and is not proof of citizenship. If you want to cruise using it you'll also need proof of citizenship such as an official birth certificate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ddlb said:

This thread has come full circle. This right here is exactly why your TA tells people to bring their birth certificates. It avoids dissapointemnt at the port. An enhanced driver's license is sufficient on its own, yes. But if you show up with a Real ID thinking it's an enhanced driver's license you will be denied boarding, and you will be pissed. 

Michigan does issue enhanced driver's licenses but not as standard. Your friend needs to have specifically requested an enhanced driver's license at some point and gone through a separate process to get it. 

In any case, bring a passport book if you can. People get stranded at foreign ports all the time without the ability to fly home because they were traveling with other documents (birth certificate, passport card, EDL, etc). 

Edited by dandelpino
  • Like 1