Carnival dining changes, will Princess follow?

sunsetme

Hi, may I come in? Perhaps nobody would know me here once I'm more prevalent on the MSC boards, once MSC is my favorite cruise line to date. Never been on Princess (P) or Carnival (C), but there is something that captures my attention on this current thread: Different price tags and market levels for both companies, consequently different people traveling each one's ships: Contemporary mainstream for C, classic premium for P. C will likely to attract a broad cruiser audience, on the young side of the pond. P will attract a more select travel audience. That on it would explain the changes. C is on the press for not so good reasons lately. Brawls, fights, and other incidents, especially on those 3-4 night "booze" weekend getaways. P is solidly running the premium market with no notice at all of themselves. One will only to change if something needs to be changed. CCL group won't apply such an anti-waste measure where there isn't waste like on P. But they'll to try to discipline where necessary like seems to be the C ships.

Regarding the 3rd entree surcharge, I'm mostly in favor. Obviously, if you have some food allergies that make you to chose an entree instead of a starter and then proceed your meal, that is a thing to be dealt separately. Someone in need of 3 entrees after starters, that opens an alert sign on me, even if "minimal" plates are on offer. Either way: Need more food after your meal? The buffet or the main coffee place will surely serve you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Yes.  We refer to the mains/plats principal/secondi/relevés as entrées for reasons lost to the sands of time.  You know what we anglophone North Americans do to French.   It isn’t pretty. 

Yes, how did the "entry" course suddenly become the main course in the US, but nowhere else in the world ? Even us linguistically challenged Brits have avoided that mistake.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a slight thread drift, do Americans use a different term for an "amuse bouche" ? 

In my experience, amuse bouche is not something typically offered in American restaurants.  It's unusual even in the high-end fine dining establishments, outside of the foodie type places in NY, LA, Vegas, etc.  But if it is offered, we do refer to it as amuse bouche. 

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, how did the "entry" course suddenly become the main course in the US, but nowhere else in the world ? Even us linguistically challenged Brits have avoided that mistake.

Yes, we are quite familiar with your disdain of us Americans. Do you have to turn every discussion into an "Americans are wrong" thread? 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

I always assumed that the American use of entree for the main course came from the French ‘entre’ meaning ‘between’ rather than ‘entrée’ meaning ‘entry’… I can confirm however that I have done absolutely no research to back this up and it is probably absolute nonsense!! 

4 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Yes, we are quite familiar with your disdain of us Americans. Do you have to turn every discussion into an "Americans are wrong" thread? 

It's a Midlands thing, in my experience.  The farther you go from cosmopolitan London and environs, the more intolerant some people become about language and customs different from those in their own square meters of experience.  (I have family in that part of the UK.)

Edited by Kay S

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

It's a Midlands thing, in my experience.  The farther you go from cosmopolitan London and environs, the more intolerant some people become about language and customs different from those in their own square meters of experience.  (I have family in that part of the UK.)

I totally agree with you. Fortunately I don't live in the Midlands! 

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Duplicate reply.

Edited by wowzz