Wi-Fi Minutes - Counted How?

D C

Our first cruise as a Elite is coming up, so we get some free 'good' minutes plus the Always Included crummy wifi. 

How are minutes tracked, or what constitutes a minute? 

Surely not simply being connected to ship wifi counts, or the minutes would be gone shortly after leaving port.   Is it browser time only? I can't imagine texting would count for much, if anything. 

10 minutes ago, D C said:

Our first cruise as a Elite is coming up, so we get some free 'good' minutes plus the Always Included crummy wifi. 

How are minutes tracked, or what constitutes a minute? 

Surely not simply being connected to ship wifi counts, or the minutes would be gone shortly after leaving port.   Is it browser time only? I can't imagine texting would count for much, if anything. 

Your wifi minutes start when you login in and stop when you log out.

If you login - 90 minutes later your minutes will be gone.   Only completely logging out stops the clock

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

You create an account and after creating the account it will link you to a log on and log off page.    You put in your Username and Password and click connect (time starts) then when completed with your internet session click logoff -  I believe you can also type Logoff on the web URL line.

The actual URL is    guest.onboardcafe.com

As above.   Make sure you logoff.   I usually bookmark it for quick access.    If you forget to log off next time you logon your minutes will have been used up.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Your wifi minutes start when you login in and stop when you log out.

If you login - 90 minutes later your minutes will be gone.   Only completely logging out stops the clock

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You create an account and after creating the account it will link you to a log on and log off page.    You put in your Username and Password and click connect (time starts) then when completed with your internet session click logoff -  I believe you can also type Logoff on the web URL line.

The actual URL is    guest.onboardcafe.com

As above.   Make sure you logoff.   I usually bookmark it for quick access.    If you forget to log off next time you logon your minutes will have been used up.

Dang. So it really is connected time.  

When you logoff, can you still connect to wifi for other things (like the X app)? 

And hopefully you can switch back to the crummy wifi? 

Just now, D C said:

Dang. So it really is connected time.  

When you logoff, can you still connect to wifi for other things (like the X app)? 

And hopefully you can switch back to the crummy wifi? 

Yes you can connect to the wifi for the app and can also access Celebrity Website.    There is a selection on the logon on scree for the free wifi.

Long time ago before the packages I use to LogOn and capture my e-mails then disconnect.   Answer them and then log back on and send them.    With the slow internet that can easily burn up 10 minutes especially if someone sends you something with pictures or an attachment.

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes you can connect to the wifi for the app and can also access Celebrity Website.    There is a selection on the logon on scree for the free wifi.

Long time ago before the packages I use to LogOn and capture my e-mails then disconnect.   Answer them and then log back on and send them.    With the slow internet that can easily burn up 10 minutes especially if someone sends you something with pictures or an attachment.

Thanks! 

We really don't need the good internet but it could come in handy on occasion so we don't want to burn through it unnecessarily. 

1 hour ago, D C said:

Thanks! 

We really don't need the good internet but it could come in handy on occasion so we don't want to burn through it unnecessarily. 

Doesn't work like that. When you create the account once you start using your Elite minutes it will keep using them until they are gone. Then you will have to choose the included regular minutes or pay to continue with the faster service. Assuming you are not a solo passenger one solution is to use the Elite minutes on 1 device and the regular minutes on another - you will each have an account. We still prepare all messages off line, put them in send, log in, wait for incoming to download then log off and check incoming. When we were Elite we never used our allocation of 90 X 2 minutes on a 15 night cruise. Now as Elite + we have minutes to spare. One of many reasons why we now only book Cruise Only rates.

If you have the basic package included with your AI booking when you first setup your account select that package.   Then go to the iLounge and ask them to add your Elite minutes.  Then every time you login you will be presented with a selection of the 2 packages to use for that session.

You can then either login on a separate device to use the Elite minutes or logout of the basic package and log back in to use Elite minutes, log off and go back to basic.

I don't know why if you have multiple "free" packages they don't allow you to just create separate login's for each.  They don't, once you select a package for your folio number they don't allow a second login to be created using the same folio.

A trip to iLounge has to be done to accomplish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks wrk2cruise, so first setup with the included basic (= slow) wifi and then let them setup a second account with the Elite premium (high speed) minutes!

Would it be also possible to do this on two separate devices instead of iLounge or will the folie number that you use to sign up be "used already"?

And can I upgrade my basic wifi after few days with Elite discount to the premium one or does that have to be done on the first day?

If it's like Royal you do not need to upgrade on day 1.  Would I be wrong in assuming the cost to upgrade would be the difference in the purchase price of the Basic & Premium wifi?  That appears to be $15.00 in the planner.  Less the Elite discount.

9 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you have the basic package included with your AI booking when you first setup your account select that package.   Then go to the iLounge and ask them to add your Elite minutes.  Then every time you login you will be presented with a selection of the 2 packages to use for that session.

You can then either login on a separate device to use the Elite minutes or logout of the basic package and log back in to use Elite minutes, log off and go back to basic.

I don't know why if you have multiple "free" packages they don't allow you to just create separate login's for each.  They don't, once you select a package for your folio number they don't allow a second login to be created using the same folio.

A trip to iLounge has to be done to accomplish.

Awesome. Thanks!
We don't expect to need any of the Elite minutes ourselves, unless the two family members w/health issues not traveling have developments. Nice to know we could make wifi calls if needed. 

5 hours ago, UniPac said:

Would it be also possible to do this on two separate devices instead of iLounge or will the folie number that you use to sign up be "used already"?

No a trip to the iLounge is required.   One the folio has an account configured it can't be changed by you.

• Like 1