Horseback Riding - any islands?

mooline

Hi everyone,

Anyone have experience with horseback riding tours in Hawaii?  Our 12 year old granddaughter is a rider and I think she'd love a trail ride or beach ride somewhere in the islands.

We're on POA next June, with 2 days pre-cruise in Oahu. POA overnights on both Maui and Kauai; we have full due in Kona and Hilo. Could plan the ride in any of these places. I'm fine with ship tours, but unfortunately, NCL doesn't offer a horseback riding tour on this itinerary.

Many thanks!

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Look at Upcountry in Maui, something like Triple L Ranch maybe. The biggest issue will be how to get there and back.

My wife is an equestrian and rode there once. It's a pain to get to-- you'll have to rent a car to do this. There is zero chance that an Uber or taxi will be over that way to bring you back-- its a little less than an hour from where the ship docks each way. 

It's a pretty area and the views over Makena and out to Molokini are spectacular-- I went shooting at Maui Sporting Clays which is nearby while she rode. 

Just keep in mind that this is a very basic nose to tail trail ride. There is nothing more than just the horse walking along. If your granddaughter is a more advanced rider she might be bored by it. It was one and done for us. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, princeton123211 said:

My wife is an equestrian and rode there once. It's a pain to get to-- you'll have to rent a car to do this. There is zero chance that an Uber or taxi will be over that way to bring you back-- its a little less than an hour from where the ship docks each way. 

It's a pretty area and the views over Makena and out to Molokini are spectacular-- I went shooting at Maui Sporting Clays which is nearby while she rode. 

Just keep in mind that this is a very basic nose to tail trail ride. There is nothing more than just the horse walking along. If your granddaughter is a more advanced rider she might be bored by it. It was one and done for us. 

I agree, for an experienced rider it could be very boring ... you do the ride to see the scenery which is spectacular.  On the back of a horse, you get a look at the island much differently than anyone else.  But just walking along in a Western saddle for an hour or two could get a little dull.  You might want to check out competitions that might be running during your visit ... hunter/jumpers, dressage, 3-day eventing, reining.  They all have national federations that publish extensive calendars.  It might be fun to  spend a couple of hours at a competition.

Thank you all for your advice! I greatly appreciate the comments and perspectives.

She is an experienced hunt seat rider, but has never done a trail ride. Her mom and I have ridden many (many) moons ago and would certainly go with her while the rest of the gang does something else. I did look into Triple L which sounds great but as you say, it is not exactly close to the docks. 

What about Turtle Bay in Oahu? We're arriving a couple of days ahead of departure, so could probably arrange to head up there one of the days. However, that's not exactly next door to the docks, either...

19 hours ago, mooline said:

What about Turtle Bay in Oahu? We're arriving a couple of days ahead of departure, so could probably arrange to head up there one of the days. However, that's not exactly next door to the docks, either...

Thats actually further than the drive to the ranch in Maui. Turtle Bay Resort is nice though and the north shore is very pretty. You aren't going to get the same elevations and vistas you would in Maui if departing from the resort there. In Maui you are starting at a decent elevation-- Turtle Bay Resort's stables are down by the ocean. 

• Like 2

Thank you both. After reading all of these comments, I think we'll talk with her, to see if this is something she really wants to do (I can't imagine not, but who knows with kiddos?)

Makani'Olu Ranch looks good, but they say they take age 12 and over. She will be 2 months shy of 12, and where she is already experienced, I hope the might be able to make an exception for her (if their insurance allows.) Triple L seems good also, but I'm not sure that the times of their rides (even if we do a private) will work with the ship's arrival/departure times.

Meanwhile, her little sister (age 6) is convinced that she is a mermaid - so maybe the guys in our group can take her to one of the mermaid swims while we ride - if we ride!  🙂

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I'm resurrecting this post for some opinions: I've found a couple of options for horseback riding on Maui. We're in port for 2 days, Sunday ~8 am to Monday, 6 pm. Ideally I'd prefer to ride on Sunday, so we have no worries at all about getting back to the ship before departure.

However, 2 of the ranches I prefer are closed on Sunday. How confident can I be if I book a ride that finishes before noon, that we'll be back to the ship no later than 5 pm, taking a private car service... is there a worry about traffic, accidents, etc that would cause a 5 hour trip for any reason? I realize very rare situations might occur, but in general... I'm thinking this is a very low risk option. If we do Monday, we'd likely book at Mendes Ranch in Wailuku, which looks to be not all that far from the ship - 30 minutes, maybe?

I am always queasy about considering excursions that aren't ship sponsored as I never want to risk being left waving goodbye, so this is a big step out of the comfort zone.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2 hours ago, mooline said:

taking a private car service... is there a worry about traffic, accidents, etc that would cause a 5 hour trip for any reason?

Generally not the possibility of a 5 hour trip from the places I'm assuming you'll be in upcountry. There are multiple routes. 

2 hours ago, mooline said:

If we do Monday, we'd likely book at Mendes Ranch in Wailuku, which looks to be not all that far from the ship - 30 minutes, maybe?

If that-- most likely less. The other thing is that there isn't a ton of traffic on that road because the road north of where you'll be turning off is truly treacherous (basically turns into a one lane switchback over cliffs right beyond that ranch). Very little traffic coming the other way towards Kahului on your return except for locals. Will take you less than 30 minutes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Generally not the possibility of a 5 hour trip from the places I'm assuming you'll be in upcountry. There are multiple routes. 

If that-- most likely less. The other thing is that there isn't a ton of traffic on that road because the road north of where you'll be turning off is truly treacherous (basically turns into a one lane switchback over cliffs right beyond that ranch). Very little traffic coming the other way towards Kahului on your return except for locals. Will take you less than 30 minutes. 

Upcountry is considered the slopes of Mount Haleakala, while Mendes Ranch is part of the West Maui Mountains.  Princeton 123211 is correct though in saying the road beyond Mendes Ranch turns treacherous, but you won't be going on that part of it.  Have you researched Makani Olu Ranch on Waiko Road in Waikapu?  It is fairly close to the ship too. We can't guarantee it, but neither place should have traffic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Upcountry is considered the slopes of Mount Haleakala, while Mendes Ranch is part of the West Maui Mountains.  Princeton 123211 is correct though in saying the road beyond Mendes Ranch turns treacherous, but you won't be going on that part of it.  Have you researched Makani Olu Ranch on Waiko Road in Waikapu?  It is fairly close to the ship too. We can't guarantee it, but neither place should have traffic.

Yes, we did research Makani Olu on your earlier recommendation, and that's one of our options as well. It appears to be a little further away, which isn't a dealbreaker. They do have Sunday options, but the challenge is the starting times of the rides, vs when the ship docks and how quickly we can get off. Makani Olu is a slightly longer ride, which will be appealing if we can make Sunday work.

Thank you for your help!

Well, we've finally settled on this - and there is a lot of research behind our selection.

We'll be doing the private lunch ride with Triple L Ranch. We're able to do the ride on Sunday, a day when the ship is overnighting in port (so no worries about missing the departure). Triple L's staff was incredibly responsive and accommodating. The private ride, with lunch, was exactly what we wanted. The experienced rider isn't worried about being bored. Since she is on a competitive show team at her barn, she said the thought of riding with no pressure, just to take in the scenery and enjoy the horse, will be wonderful. Spoken like the true introvert she is! 

We'll be using Aloha Maui Limo to drive us, wait and return us to the ship. That company was also very responsive to our inquiries.

Will offer a full review after we return - not until June, but hopefully worth the wait!  🙂

Edited by mooline
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

And, here is the official review of our horseback riding experience:

EVERYONE LOVED IT!

Triple L Ranch was a fantastic choice, the horses are very well cared for, the open range ride was like nothing we have seen or ever will see in Florida, and the staff treated us like family. Our tour included a cheeseburger lunch, since this is a working cattle ranch, you know the beef is fresh… very distinct, delicious flavor!

The ride was 3 hours plus about 30 minutes for lunch and the sights were amazing.

Travel to and from the ranch was through Aloha Maui Limo, our driver Steve was right on time and very cordial.There is zero chance of a quick Uber or Lyft to this remote spot, so Aloha Maui was a very good choice. With the wait time at the ranch and the hour plus drive each way it wasn’t inexpensive, but very much worth the price.

We would do it gain in a heartbeat!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I want to add a PS to anyone who might be looking for a horseback riding experience in Maui: Triple L, the ranch I've reviewed here, has a "sister" organization (run by the very same family) called Spirit Horse Ranch, which does equine therapy - therapy using horses, because of their sensitivity to human emotion. Before the wildfire, they were working with survivors of physical trauma, and since the fire, they've been offering their services completely free of charge to anyone affected by the wildfires.

I offer this information so that you know you are also supporting a very good cause if you choose to ride with Triple L.

By the way, I'm in no way affiliated with them, and never knew of the ranch before we started planning our Hawaii trip. I have, however become a huge admirer and cheerleader for the amazing work that they do.

• Like 2