Fairbanks

Sugar&Buddy

43 minutes ago, Sugar&Buddy said:

Considering 2-3 days pre-cruise in Fairbanks may June or july.  Is there enough to see?  Northern lights tours seems main option.

You aren't going to see northern lights in June or July. It stays light essentially around the clock...you need darkness for northern lights.

The season for aurora viewing is August 21st through April 21st.  ABSOLUTELY no viewing in June or July.  This is the land of the Midnight Sun and we are simply too light at night.

The Fairbanks economy is not tourism driven.  However, every segment of a regional economy is important.  Popular summer tourism options include the Riverboat Discovery (half day), and Gold Dredge No. 8 (half day).  Popular museums include the Museum of the North (located on the University of Alaska campus) and Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.  Day trips to the Chena Hot Springs Resort are popular as the approximately 56 mile drive takes folks through the massive Chena River Recreation area which is prime moose habitat.  There are a number of hiking (and I mean hiking -- not simple little walks along flat land) options.  The Northern Alaska Tour Company offers interesting trips out of Fairbanks north of the Arctic Circle, and some also into the beautiful and wild Brooks Range.

But I am curious if our OP is considering a trip to Fairbanks prior to heading down to Denali National Park. I've always thought that  folks who don't go into DNP as far as Eielson Visitor's Center cheat themselves of the best Denali experience.  Since the single road into the park is blocked at the Pretty Rocks area due to ice rich land melting until the road is open as far a Eielson I don't really see going to the park.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Normally I would recommend Denali, but it looks like there will be limited access for the next few years until they resolve the problem at Pretty Rocks.

Years past we spent time in Denali at least once a summer and periodically two times.  With the closure at Pretty Rocks we didn't bother this past summer.  And with no road maintenance past Pretty Rocks since August 2021 I really wonder what the DNP maintenance will find once Pretty Rocks is bridged.

I have suggested to several folks that they consider visiting Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park and Preserve as another option.

• Like 2

I've booked a northbound cruise for August 2023 and was trying to plan a post-cruise tour. I was thinking of booking with Alaska Rail as they primarily use the train with Goldstar coaches for their travel. But I hadn't heard of any issues with Denali.

Does this mean that tours into Denali aren't feasible? I took my stepdad back in 2018 on the Tundra Wilderness Tour while we were there, but hubby does not want to take a tour in a school bus. So Alaska Rail offers off-road with a Jeep 4x4 and that sounds like fun.

But now I'm not sure that's possible?

If we're coming from Whittier and want to end up in Fairbanks, is Denali a worthwhile stop?

1 hour ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I've booked a northbound cruise for August 2023 and was trying to plan a post-cruise tour. I was thinking of booking with Alaska Rail as they primarily use the train with Goldstar coaches for their travel. But I hadn't heard of any issues with Denali.

Does this mean that tours into Denali aren't feasible? I took my stepdad back in 2018 on the Tundra Wilderness Tour while we were there, but hubby does not want to take a tour in a school bus. So Alaska Rail offers off-road with a Jeep 4x4 and that sounds like fun.

But now I'm not sure that's possible?

If we're coming from Whittier and want to end up in Fairbanks, is Denali a worthwhile stop?

The issues with the single road into Denali Park have been ongoing for a number of years.  When the road was constructed (was it in the 1930s or 1940s?) the notion of climate change just didn't exist.  The road was constructed over sections of ice rich land (not glaciers as some have posted on CruiseCritic).  While stable for a number of years those sections of ice rich land have been melting in several areas, including a section of the road called "Pretty Rocks."  This area has required daily maintenance as the road has been sloughing off the mountain side.  In August 2021 the National Park Service determined that they could no longer maintain the road at Pretty Rocks.  It is now totally impassible past Pretty Rocks (essentially mile 43).  The NPS has issued RFPs for a bridge over the problematic area.  According to the NPS website, at least the last time I checked, the road may be closed through the summer of 2024.  But who knows.  And who knows what the condition of the road will be past mile 43 since there has been no road service since August 2021.

Folks who plan a trip to DNP need to understand the limited road access.  In my opinion, from someone who lives in Fairbanks, is that the stop at mile 43 means that folks will miss some of the prime wildlife viewing areas  such as Polychrome Pass (above tree line with expansive views down on a braided river).

While tours into DNP are "feasible" they will stop at the Pretty Rocks area. You will have to decide whether that limit is an issue for you.   The off road Jeep 4x4 is most likely a tour out of Healy.

I hope my fellow Fairbanks-ian, @wolfie11 will chime in with her opinion.

4 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

The issues with the single road into Denali Park have been ongoing for a number of years.  When the road was constructed (was it in the 1930s or 1940s?) the notion of climate change just didn't exist.  The road was constructed over sections of ice rich land (not glaciers as some have posted on CruiseCritic).  While stable for a number of years those sections of ice rich land have been melting in several areas, including a section of the road called "Pretty Rocks."  This area has required daily maintenance as the road has been sloughing off the mountain side.  In August 2021 the National Park Service determined that they could no longer maintain the road at Pretty Rocks.  It is now totally impassible past Pretty Rocks (essentially mile 43).  The NPS has issued RFPs for a bridge over the problematic area.  According to the NPS website, at least the last time I checked, the road may be closed through the summer of 2024.  But who knows.  And who knows what the condition of the road will be past mile 43 since there has been no road service since August 2021.

Folks who plan a trip to DNP need to understand the limited road access.  In my opinion, from someone who lives in Fairbanks, is that the stop at mile 43 means that folks will miss some of the prime wildlife viewing areas  such as Polychrome Pass (above tree line with expansive views down on a braided river).

While tours into DNP are "feasible" they will stop at the Pretty Rocks area. You will have to decide whether that limit is an issue for you.   The off road Jeep 4x4 is most likely a tour out of Healy.

I hope my fellow Fairbanks-ian, @wolfie11 will chime in with her opinion.

Thank you so much for the detailed information!

9 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Years past we spent time in Denali at least once a summer and periodically two times.  With the closure at Pretty Rocks we didn't bother this past summer.  And with no road maintenance past Pretty Rocks since August 2021 I really wonder what the DNP maintenance will find once Pretty Rocks is bridged.

I have suggested to several folks that they consider visiting Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park and Preserve as another option.

I see your point but I would guess that the NPS is monitoring the status of the road past Pretty Rocks.  After all, they can probably get around the problem area and could monitor it by helicopter.

DON

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I see your point but I would guess that the NPS is monitoring the status of the road past Pretty Rocks.  After all, they can probably get around the problem area and could monitor it by helicopter.

DON

The craters around Pretty Rocks are incredible.  Our local newspaper published photos taken four days after the road maintenance ended in August 2021 and it was impressive.  Stunning that the NPS was able to keep shuttles operating as long as they did.  But Pretty Rocks is not the only area in which the road was built over ice rich land.  There are multiple areas in which the road is on ice rich soils which are now melting.