Jewel T/A random impressions

This was a long-planned and postponed 60th birthday voyage to cross an ocean in my lifetime and experience the feeling of a smaller ship with open decks and outward views. Eat, drink, rest, listen to musicians and spend time with my sister. Zero regrets, we had a blast! Another cruiser posted a thorough live review, as a first-time cruiser, I'm adding my comments in no particular order.

We brought plastic straws, but never used them, the straws they have now at the bars, not sure if they are something biodegradable but they worked fine!

So much comfortable seating wherever you go on the ship. Piped-in music was kept at a low volume, it was very nice to sit and read or play games. The live musicians were excellent. Sadly, the very talented pianist in the centrum had to play over two couples having a long and overly loud conversation just a few feet away. 

There was a large contingent of fellow cruisers with the most grim looks on their faces, looking as if life were miserable. I imagined everyone would be jolly, but I was wrong!

We learned that the Captain will deploy just one of the stabilizers if the seas are just rolling a bit....when both are deployed, the ship rocks less but it shakes. 

Food was never overly salty! MDR food was very good as were our waiters. Early dining worked well and service was timely. Chops and Izumi were excellent, Chef's Table was fun but "one and done" for us. The food was prepared in Giovanni's kitchen, and we thought the kitchen staff there could do a better job searing/caramelizing, both the steaks and the pancetta in the carbonara which was pale and not rendered as I think most people prefer (?) These are small complaints.  

We felt that any dissatisfaction we had would be handled if we brought it to the staff's attention. That being said, the F&B director (forgot his official title) explained at length the challenges he is still facing with sourcing quality products consistently, and with so much new staff to train. Everyone is working hard and cheerfully. A little patience and forbearance goes a long way. 

The All-Access Tour was a major highlight. The different staff were so passionate and accommodating explaining their jobs and answering questions. 

We felt the extra space and amenities for suite guests was worthwhile. The concierge was a pleasure to deal with.

We felt that all the staff from the Captain on down,  genuinely wanted everyone to have a great time and they appreciated our business. 

There was a tangible feeling that the staff from Captain Mike all the way down, genuinely wanted everyone to have a great experience. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Trivia......In the post-cruise survey, I suggested using staff who were more fluent in the English language for the Trivia sessions. Imagine how hard it would be to host such an event in a language and culture different from one's own. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 1

It was a great cruise. Thanks for your thoughts. Mine was the live review. Seems you had a better experience in Chops than I did 😋 I too thought MDR food was consistently good.

Hope your next cruise is great too.

cheers

Pat

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Trivia......In the post-cruise survey, I suggested using staff who were more fluent in the English language for the Trivia sessions. Imagine how hard it would be to host such an event in a language and culture different from one's own. 

We had a nice young woman from China on one of our cruises maybe 2018ish that could not read English very well at all. She could speak it fine, but trying to read trivia questions written by others or looked up in some trivia questions site, with uncommon words she'd never seen before was almost painful. Took forever because she had to spell so many words. But then she did Bingo, and she had this long-game joke she nailed perfectly! (turns out the boyfriend she kept referring to didn't know he was her boyfriend 🤣)