Refundable OBC vs Non-Refundable OBC

PATRLR

13 hours ago, PATRLR said:

It's not that I don't believe you, but, I know that this can be very confusing and the printed summaries from Guest Services aren't intuitive and the Cruise Next folks lie.  I would have to see your summary of on board charges before I believe that NR OBC was used for DSC.  

I’m not going to post my onboard account on a public forum. But my accountant and auditor husband went to customer service every morning after breakfast and went through our account thoroughly, and I promise you nothing is going to get by him.

• Haha 1

We currently have (1) AmEx offer that will be expiring in a couple days.

Our cruise is already fully paid including DSC, activities, etc.

We have a non-ref OBC of $250.

It seems like I could go ahead and buy (2) $500 OBC with my AmEx card and then cash that OBC out at the end of the trip.  Basically, it would end up being an extra $350 discount on the trip.

Do they really hand you cash or do you get a check from GS when you do that?  If it were cash, that would be the only negative as I wouldn't be excited to tote $1k back home.

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 2:38 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I’m not going to post my onboard account on a public forum. But my accountant and auditor husband went to customer service every morning after breakfast and went through our account thoroughly, and I promise you nothing is going to get by him.

Every morning? Now I understand why I always see the huge lines there. Well, I guess it's part of the entertainment. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, PATRLR said:

What did I miss or get wrong?

I would just add that Starbucks gift cards and merchandise (thermos mugs, etc.)  require refundable OBC.   Starbucks drinks and food can use NR as you indicate.  

On 12/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, SleeStack1 said:

Do they really hand you cash or do you get a check from GS when you do that?  If it were cash, that would be the only negative as I wouldn't be excited to tote $1k back home.

You might not care anymore since it's been a few months, but yes, you will receive cash. 

On 3/28/2023 at 1:41 PM, Michel D99 said:

Every morning? Now I understand why I always see the huge lines there. Well, I guess it's part of the entertainment. 

Haha, my husband checks the TV screen every day and marches to the concierge when he sees something odd. This means, at least every other day, we're talking to the concierge about something billing. NCL is anything but transparent. He has corrected a number of inaccurate postings this way too, so I'm thankful. I get more massage money when he finds an error. 🙂 

On 12/30/2022 at 2:39 PM, SleeStack1 said:

Ten $100 bills isn't a lot of weight to tote.

I  usually 'tote' about that amount when leaving for a cruise.

Tips, off ship spending, meals en route to/from ship.  i'd rather pay cash instead of exposing my CC to fraud.