Holland America Canceled Jan 14 Key West

gdy0354

Key West residents voted by a super majority to limit the size of ships and the number of visitors in port.  Unfortunately, The State Legislature and Governor overrode that vote.

However, The City is still honoring the wishes of its residents by limiting docking at the two City controlled ports (Mallory Square and the Outer Mole.)

Only the privately owned Pier B is ignoring the vote and allowing large ships to dock there.

My guess is another ship has been scheduled at Pier B, bumping your ship.  The Pier and the Harbor Pilots are both paid based on ship size and passenger count, so  I imagine a larger ship wanted to dock.  It is also possible that Holland America is listening to the campaign to get cruise lines to follow the wishes of the people who live in the port City and cancelled on their own.

im sorry you won’t get to visit, but multiple large ships overwhelm our small Old Town and create turbidity that damages the reef.  Please try to visit as an overnight guest so you can really enjoy Key West.

• Like 1

Assuming you were booked on Holland's Nieuw Statendam....

Key West was originally showing this ship and the Celebrity Summit to dock on January 15.  Since there is currently only one pier handling ships of this size, one of the ships had to be cancelled.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, keywester33 said:

Key West residents voted by a super majority to limit the size of ships and the number of visitors in port.  Unfortunately, The State Legislature and Governor overrode that vote.

However, The City is still honoring the wishes of its residents by limiting docking at the two City controlled ports (Mallory Square and the Outer Mole.)

Only the privately owned Pier B is ignoring the vote and allowing large ships to dock there.

My guess is another ship has been scheduled at Pier B, bumping your ship.  The Pier and the Harbor Pilots are both paid based on ship size and passenger count, so  I imagine a larger ship wanted to dock.  It is also possible that Holland America is listening to the campaign to get cruise lines to follow the wishes of the people who live in the port City and cancelled on their own.

im sorry you won’t get to visit, but multiple large ships overwhelm our small Old Town and create turbidity that damages the reef.  Please try to visit as an overnight guest so you can really enjoy Key West.

Thanks for explaining. I can appreciate why the residents would wish this. I wonder if my stop on the Celebrity Apex is still on the week before. No message from them about changes but then again, navigating their online system has been buggy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 10:34 PM, Dreamer68 said:

Thanks for explaining. I can appreciate why the residents would wish this. I wonder if my stop on the Celebrity Apex is still on the week before. No message from them about changes but then again, navigating their online system has been buggy. 

We stopped as scheduled on December 11 at Pier B.

• Thanks 1