London to Lisbon on The Dawn

bostonphil

I have just booked London (Southampton) to Lisbon on The Dawn for October 2023.

If you have done this voyage, what were your experiences with ports and shore excursions? What might you recommend?

I plan to spend several days in London before heading to Southampton. What is the best way to get from Heathrow to a hotel in London and then from a hotel in London to Southampton?  I have not yet booked my hotel but it will be centrally located.  

1 hour ago, bostonphil said:

I have just booked London (Southampton) to Lisbon on The Dawn for October 2023.

If you have done this voyage, what were your experiences with ports and shore excursions? What might you recommend?

I plan to spend several days in London before heading to Southampton. What is the best way to get from Heathrow to a hotel in London and then from a hotel in London to Southampton?  I have not yet booked my hotel but it will be centrally located.  

Regarding your transportation question, what is YOUR definition of "best way"?  I prefer to use the Tube train (London's subway system) to get from Heathrow into London center city.  There are a couple different ways using the Tube.  I also prefer to take a regular train from central London to Southampton and then a taxi from the rail station to the ship.  This will definitely be the least expensive way.

But these may not match up to your definition of "best way".  

FYI, this topic is often addressed on the British Isles/Western Europe forum found here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

Have a great trip. For travel from Heathrow to a hotel in London, it will depend on how much baggage you have and whether you are happy to use public transport. There are 3 easy options. 

The Tube will take you all through central London. It starts at the airport, but can get crowded and hot. 

The Heathrow Express Train takes you to Paddington Station. 

A new option which just opened is the ‘Elizabeth Line’ which is a train into the centre of London. For a public transport route to any hotel or any other location, you can use TfL.gov.uk. One tip for anyone with luggage, look for stations with a wheelchair symbol, Those have step free access train to street - handy with bags. 

Taxis are available but very very expensive. Uber is also an option. 

To get to Southampton, I would take the train. There are at least 2 per hour. Bear in mind that despite being a busy route and a busy cruise port, the trains have no separate luggage racks (crazy decision). The journey time takes usuall 70-120 mins max. If you book in advance it is very cheap. 1st class is not worth the premium, you get nothing extra for it. Southampton Central is a short taxi ride from the cruise terminals. Alternatively, the National Express Coach service can also take you to Southampton from London. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, bostonphil said:

We take the Heathrow Express from LHR to downtown London, then a taxi to our hotel. Yeah, you can navigate the underground/tube with your luggage and spend an extra hour in the subway, but to us, the airport express is the only way to go. The alternative is to just pay for a taxi from LHR to your hotel (more expensive). 

From London to Southampton, we take a taxi from our hotel to Waterloo train station, then the Southwest train direct to Southampton Central (faster but slightly more expensive). Others will take the National Express bus from London Victoria to Southampton (cheaper, a little slower). Or you can schedule a private car (expensive, but no hassle) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who responded.

I have since booked a hotel in London near Paddington Station. I will be able to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then walk to my hotel. Would you believe that it appears I even got a good deal?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 2:24 AM, Mattsudds said:

To get to Southampton, I would take the train. There are at least 2 per hour. Bear in mind that despite being a busy route and a busy cruise port, the trains have no separate luggage racks (crazy decision).

The trains to Southampton are basically commuter trains. The proportion of train passengers who are going to/from a cruise is tiny. Luggage racks would be an utter waste of space, particularly on trains which can be absolutely packed with people at peak hours - but this isn't a problem for anyone going to start a cruise, for whom there is plenty of space for luggage, just not in dedicated luggage racks.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, bostonphil said:

I have since booked a hotel in London near Paddington Station. I will be able to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then walk to my hotel.

Is this fixed in stone, or could you still change your plans? The Heathrow Express is expensive, and Paddington is not really in central London, so you would find it frustrating if you're sightseeing over several days. Lots more advice available in the British Isles forum - a link has already been posted above.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...