Granada/Alhambra from Motril ..... Excursion Question

ajtraveler66

While at port in Motril, it looks like some of the interesting excursions are to the Granada/Alhambra area.

This will be day 13 of our 15-day cruise.  We are likely to be very tired because we will have taken in quite a bit of activity up to this point.  So my question is: "Would last-minute excursions to the "Granada/Alhambra" area be easy to obtain?  We'd prefer ship offerings, but we would be willing to do reliable private excursions should we feel up to it.

We would prefer to wait on committing to a reservation until we see how we are feeling as Day 13 approaches.

If you really wait until the last minute, you will probably be out of luck. You might get a taxi, very expensive snd just transportation. You will not get unto the Alhambra as tickets usually sell out in advance.

Yet, you prefer a ships excursion anyway and that might be bookable until a das or two before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajtraveler66 said:

While at port in Motril, it looks like some of the interesting excursions are to the Granada/Alhambra area.

This will be day 13 of our 15-day cruise.  We are likely to be very tired because we will have taken in quite a bit of activity up to this point.  So my question is: "Would last-minute excursions to the "Granada/Alhambra" area be easy to obtain?  We'd prefer ship offerings, but we would be willing to do reliable private excursions should we feel up to it.

We would prefer to wait on committing to a reservation until we see how we are feeling as Day 13 approaches.

Try Spain day tours we had perfect tour with them from Montril to the Alhambra palace 

• Like 1

The Alhambra is very simple from Motril - less than an hour on a usually-quiet main road in the shadow of the Sierra Nevada, and no city-centre traffic because it's in the south of the city.

I can understand you wanting to make your minds up late, but as per Carl's post you'll not get last-minute entry to the Alhambra - if you're keen, book transport and entry tickets together well-ahead.

Not the same difficulty visiting the nearby Generalife last-minute - but it's nowhere near as iconic or amazing as the Alhambra.

We've driven thro Granada - just like any modern city, tho' we probably didn't see the best of it. 

JB 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

The Alhambra is one of the top 5 tourist attractions in all of Spain, and often ranked at #2 or #3 after the Sagrada Familia.  Pre- pandemic I believe it  averaged around 2 million visitors a year with the daily number of tickets capped at a certain number, and pre-pandemic it was common for them to sell out months in advance.

Post pandemic, visitor numbers may be down a little from 2 million, (I do not know) but last minute tickets could still be almost impossible to get.

Edited by edinburgher

because it is not uncommon for some of the most in demand "highlight" shorexWe would prefer to wait on committing to a reservation until we see how we are feeling as Day 13 approaches.

AJ. Sound advice from marazul as always.  Book sooner rather than later (don't wait until you board)and check the NCL  cancellation policy so that those who decide not to go can be refunded. On board it can be as little as 48 hours before but do check.

Two reasons.

Firstly because it is not uncommon for some of the most in demand "highlight" shorex  to sell out even BEFORE a sailing and a wait list started.  Sometimes a cruiseline can source extra places, but in this instance, obtaining extra tickets for the Alhambra may not be possible, and once the places are gone they are gone.

Secondly, you are looking at some of the other shorex on offer, but,(someone  correct me if I am wrong) my understanding is that shorex require a minimum number of participants in order for them to run at all, and if you book a potentially less popular shorex, unless the numbers add up, there is the possibility that it (or they) could be cancelled leaving you with nothing. Over the years this has occasionally happened to us.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

AJ just to emphasise the first reason in my above post, this from a very recent thread on the UK forum. t refers to an evening  shorex going to the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2023.

This event is usually a sell out and the poster has already tried to book it despite their sailing not being until AUGUST NEXT YEAR.

Posted November 21

We are doing the Princess British Isles cruise in 2023. The Tattoo excursion is already sold out.

On 11/25/2022 at 10:10 AM, marazul said:

Do this in reverse.  Book the excursion so you have a guaranteed place.  Then cancel a couple of days before (or whatever the cancelation policy is) if you, or some of you,  decide not to go.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to post, but marazul beat me to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1