Queen Mary 2 Transatlantc & Gym Question

JoshuaLifter

Hi all,

I was thinking this winter of taking my son on his first transatlantic cruise, one of the ships I am  looking at is the Queen Mary 2. My first question is what is the fitness area like? I am really into bodybuilding and I am particularly interested in the free weight area, but overall impressions would be welcomed too. Does she have a sauna/steam room? Is it separate sex or are they CoEd?

I would also be interested to know from other past transatlantic passengers what was it like, with so many sea days, what activities dis everyone enjoy or dislike?

Thank you,

Joshua

Not having used the gym I can't comment on the free weights. I can say that you need a spa pass to use the thalassotherapy pool, steam room or saunas. All of those are coed.

You might think that 7 days without a port call is too long. But Cunard has a long history of planning enrichment talks and activities. If I'm not mistaken, there may be a 'sticky' thread above with scans of the daily programmes, which would give you an idea.

Ok, sorry, I lied! I don't see the daily programmes as a sticky. I know they've been posted several times. I'd post a link, but searching using a phone is not as productive as doing a forum search on a laptop. If I track them down, I'll post the link. Otherwise I can scan mine, from December, if necessary.

Edited by frankp01

I know there is a fairly impressive set of dumbbells in the free weight area, but do not believe there is much for a barbell set-up (been a few years since I was on board…I can let you know for certain in about a month). A search of my photo files and the Internet for photos of the gym was not particularly illuminating. Best picture of the free weight area seems to be on this person’s posted diary (text is in German, but pictures are pictures). 
https://www.cruisediary.de/queen-mary-2-schiff-teil-2-ab-deck-7/

The are some decent free weights and weight machines.   

A lot of the cardio equipment is broken, which was frustrating.   

The steam/sauna/thalassotherapy pool must be booked by appointment in advance.    There are 2 hour time slots which can be reserved.  The times start at 8:15am and end at 8:00pm  This is to provide breaks for cleaning.   Capacity is now limited.  

2 hours ago, techteach said:

@D&N Could you comment on the OP’s question regarding gym weights?

Certainly. Not been on here for a while, too much going on here.

@JoshuaLifter

Most equipment is Technogym. Set of free weights from 4kg to 30kg. Wall-bars, foam floor mats, 2 or 3 benches. Cardio: 2 or 3 types of cross-trainer, treadmills, cycles, recumbent-cycles. Muscle exercise: various leg exercise apparatus but not leg-curl. Think there were upper body apparatus as well.

Not the biggest gym at sea, but it was adequate to do a decent workout.

Don't think I saw any bars for weights. Possibly due to risk of huge weight rolling about in rough seas.

• Thanks 1

Lots of free weights available and some weight machines.  Not many passengers using the weight area.  Movement of the ship makes some of this equipment a little difficult to use because of safety.  Too many of the cardio machines are broken and no one seems to care.  Very sketchy staff assistance.

12 hours ago, tv24 said:

Lots of free weights available and some weight machines.  Not many passengers using the weight area.  Movement of the ship makes some of this equipment a little difficult to use because of safety.  Too many of the cardio machines are broken and no one seems to care.  Very sketchy staff assistance.

Thank you for your input, what was wrong with the staff?

22 hours ago, D&N said:

Certainly. Not been on here for a while, too much going on here.

@JoshuaLifter

Most equipment is Technogym. Set of free weights from 4kg to 30kg. Wall-bars, foam floor mats, 2 or 3 benches. Cardio: 2 or 3 types of cross-trainer, treadmills, cycles, recumbent-cycles. Muscle exercise: various leg exercise apparatus but not leg-curl. Think there were upper body apparatus as well.

Not the biggest gym at sea, but it was adequate to do a decent workout.

Don't think I saw any bars for weights. Possibly due to risk of huge weight rolling about in rough seas.

Thanks! Sounds kind of decent!

On 11/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, gentlemancruiser said:

The are some decent free weights and weight machines.   

A lot of the cardio equipment is broken, which was frustrating.   

The steam/sauna/thalassotherapy pool must be booked by appointment in advance.    There are 2 hour time slots which can be reserved.  The times start at 8:15am and end at 8:00pm  This is to provide breaks for cleaning.   Capacity is now limited.  

Thank you, I was hoping that it would be like a day pass and you could just go anytime, were the sauna/steam rooms large? Did the face out to see our were they just interior rooms?

On 11/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, ExArkie said:

I know there is a fairly impressive set of dumbbells in the free weight area, but do not believe there is much for a barbell set-up (been a few years since I was on board…I can let you know for certain in about a month). A search of my photo files and the Internet for photos of the gym was not particularly illuminating. Best picture of the free weight area seems to be on this person’s posted diary (text is in German, but pictures are pictures). 
https://www.cruisediary.de/queen-mary-2-schiff-teil-2-ab-deck-7/

1 minute ago, JoshuaLifter said:

Thank you, I was hoping that it would be like a day pass and you could just go anytime, were the sauna/steam rooms large? Did the face out to see our were they just interior rooms?

Thank you some good pics!

On 11/13/2022 at 7:54 AM, frankp01 said:

Not having used the gym I can't comment on the free weights. I can say that you need a spa pass to use the thalassotherapy pool, steam room or saunas. All of those are coed.

You might think that 7 days without a port call is too long. But Cunard has a long history of planning enrichment talks and activities. If I'm not mistaken, there may be a 'sticky' thread above with scans of the daily programmes, which would give you an idea.

Ok, sorry, I lied! I don't see the daily programmes as a sticky. I know they've been posted several times. I'd post a link, but searching using a phone is not as productive as doing a forum search on a laptop. If I track them down, I'll post the link. Otherwise I can scan mine, from December, if necessary.

Thank you so much!

20 hours ago, JoshuaLifter said:

Thank you for your input, what was wrong with the staff?

Most of the time there is no one there.  When I did see a staff person, he was sitting off to one side looking at the phone.  When I asked that he post a sign on the many cardio machines that were broken, he barely looked up from his phone.  My perception was that equipment maintenance was not an important part of his duties.  I think he was more concerned with selling trainer sessions.

11 hours ago, tv24 said:

Most of the time there is no one there.  When I did see a staff person, he was sitting off to one side looking at the phone.  When I asked that he post a sign on the many cardio machines that were broken, he barely looked up from his phone.  My perception was that equipment maintenance was not an important part of his duties.  I think he was more concerned with selling trainer sessions.

That is so surprising considering that it is Cunard, but any ship can have bad employees. Thank you for explaining.