The Garden Cafe — The Best of It

New2cruise2022

4 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Not sure if it was changed during Covid-times, but is the Buffet still "serve yourself"? 

Are you allowed to bring a water bottle and coffee thermos to fill up and take with you?

We are sailing on Bliss in January.

Thank you.

@SuzieQ521 1/22/23 from LA here. Can’t come soon enough!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Not sure if it was changed during Covid-times, but is the Buffet still "serve yourself"? 

Are you allowed to bring a water bottle and coffee thermos to fill up and take with you?

We are sailing on Bliss in January.

Thank you.

Yes, all the buffets are now self serve.

Yes, you can fill your water bottle and coffee thermos at the buffet or in the Observation Lounge.  They request that you use a clean glass to fill your containers (and use a new glass for each pour) so your bottle/mug/thermos never touch the spout or handle.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

On ships with an Observation lounge (there is an Observation Lounge on the Bliss) there will be a delicious selection of food available throughout the day.  The quiche is amazing!  They will heat it up if you ask. They also often have red velvet cake and these yummy guava pastries.  This is the place to get potato chips if you want a salty snack.

Guava pastries? One of my faves! Thanks for the tip!

I concur with everyone about the Indian food. My go to for lunch. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Tip…get your coffee or juice then head to the back for a table by the windows.  The two-tops turn over pretty quickly.  Once you are seated…get the attention of the bus staff and let them know not to clear your table as you’re going for food.

That sounds like a good plan for a solo traveler.  I just grab a Bloody Mary and go find a table.  I send DW and DD to get their food while I sip and chill and "guard" the table. 😎  I'm in no hurry to eat and if breakfast takes longer, it's just another Bloody Mary.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It seems to me that one can eat very well on NCL even if your budget doesn’t allow for specialty dining. 

IMHO, specialty dining is HIGHLY overrated.  We now get three or four specialty dinners per cruise, and I just let my traveling partners decide where and when to use them.  I really couldn't care less.  That said, I have found that LeBistro is the safest choice for a good steak (so far).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That sounds like a good plan for a solo traveler.  I just grab a Bloody Mary and go find a table.  I send DW and DD to get their food while I sip and chill and "guard" the table. 😎  I'm in no hurry to eat and if breakfast takes longer, it's just another Bloody Mary.  

Bloody Mary. That’s the only way I take my celery. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It seems to me that one can eat very well on NCL even if your budget doesn’t allow for specialty dining. 

I agree.  The comp food is more than good enough.  I now do one or two specialty dinners only because they come with the free at sea.  Otherwise, I'd have no interest.  My next cruise is on the escape, and I'm a little bummed that they don't have a Shanghai's onboard

Arrange with any travel companions what section to meet after getting food. I have spent 20 minutes looking for people....now we pick a section to meet at. As for food the carving station is always a good choice. If you are lucky enough to see their almond danish grab one (or two).

6 hours ago, kelib said:

Do they still do the pretzel rolls? 

They did on the Joy.

I enjoy the buffet during off-peak times but usually lack the patience, especially at breakfast.  I'll usually opt for Taste/Savor.  Just a more civilized experience, no hunting for a table, etc. 🙂

The buffet works best when it isn't terribly crowded or if you're looking for something specific, like Indian, that you won't find elsewhere.  I'll also tend to go there when I'm on my own or if I want to get in and out quickly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That said, I have found that LeBistro is the safest choice for a good steak (so far).

On our recent Getaway cruise we had a lovely meal at Le Bistro.  A few days later when we had reservations at Cagneys my husband asked if we could just go back to Le Bistro because he loved the beef ternderloin there so much.  We changed the reservation and it was just as good the 2nd time (I’m more of a pescatarian and enjoyed the Dover sole both times.)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Just a more civilized experience, no hunting for a table, etc. 🙂

I think we were on the same Joy sailing in October.  Finding a table in the buffet at breakfast was exceedingly simple.  We always found what we needed at the front of the ship where we could see where we were going.  😎  I really miss being on a ship!  Two more months.  😡

15 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Arrange with any travel companions what section to meet after getting food. I have spent 20 minutes looking for people....now we pick a section to meet at.

When I used to go on business trips, I would volunteer to be the designated driver if a group went out for dinner, etc.  "I'll skip the drink while you folks have fun."  Now that I'm retired, when I cruise I make up for it by being the designated drinker.  "I'll grab a Bloody Mary and drink at a table, while you hunt for food."  Circle of life......  I still get a great meal! 😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, LisaDee said:

On our recent Getaway cruise we had a lovely meal at Le Bistro.  A few days later when we had reservations at Cagneys my husband asked if we could just go back to Le Bistro because he loved the beef ternderloin there so much.  We changed the reservation and it was just as good the 2nd time (I’m more of a pescatarian and enjoyed the Dover sole both times.)

A good beef tenderloin is hard to beat …

13 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

They did on the Joy.

I enjoy the buffet during off-peak times but usually lack the patience, especially at breakfast.  I'll usually opt for Taste/Savor.  Just a more civilized experience, no hunting for a table, etc. 🙂

The buffet works best when it isn't terribly crowded or if you're looking for something specific, like Indian, that you won't find elsewhere.  I'll also tend to go there when I'm on my own or if I want to get in and out quickly.  

I think I will opt for … nice meal in MDR for breakfast AND a stroll through the buffet before or after to hunt for calories I absolutely do not need.

Judgment-free, eatin’ at sea. (Someone will definitely judge me. I definitely will not care.)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LisaDee said:

On our recent Getaway cruise we had a lovely meal at Le Bistro.  A few days later when we had reservations at Cagney's my husband asked if we could just go back to Le Bistro because he loved the beef tenderloin there so much.  We changed the reservation and it was just as good the 2nd time (I’m more of a pescatarian and enjoyed the Dover sole both times.)

I have had the sole at Le Bistro in the past, but I suggest you try the sea bass some time. I had it on our last trip and was surprised to find that I liked it much better than the sole.