The Garden Cafe — The Best of It

New2cruise2022

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Waiting for a response. Glued to this. 😳

@YVRteacher added more here:

On 11/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, YVRteacher said:

When I was on the Bliss, the crepe station in the evening was the create-your-own udon soup station at lunch time.  Often crepes weren’t available until after dinner.

I'll accept her at her word.  

When I was on, I specifically asked a staffer and then I asked a manager (well, more like complained to a manager type).  Both made it clear crepes were in Coco.  

Last week I walked all around the Encore buffet looking for the crepe grills and didn't see them so assumed they were banished to Cocos.  Now I am wishing I'd asked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

@YVRteacher added more here:

I'll accept her at her word.  

When I was on, I specifically asked a staffer and then I asked a manager (well, more like complained to a manager type).  Both made it clear crepes were in Coco.  

Last week I walked all around the Encore buffet looking for the crepe grills and didn't see them so assumed they were banished to Cocos.  Now I am wishing I'd asked.

This is also something that I assume can change without notice based on passenger capacity and crew availability. 

On 11/13/2022 at 2:05 PM, CruzinMel said:

I can't remember.  It used to be that they'd do prime rib in O'Sheehans, too, but it has been a while since I have cruised - a more recent traveler will know better.  

On my last cruise on Breakaway, this past March, I tried to find the best prime rib on the ship.  In my opinion it was at the Haven Restaurant.  Cagney's was good, but the Haven was better.  They never had it in the buffet when I was there.

Elvis

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

On my last cruise on Breakaway, this past March, I tried to find the best prime rib on the ship.  In my opinion it was at the Haven Restaurant.  Cagney's was good, but the Haven was better.  They never had it in the buffet when I was there.

Elvis

No prime rib at the buffet or MDR. Pity. 

2 hours ago, nhtravels said:

The Soft-serve machine!   I know it's silly, but DH needs his cone fix every night on the way back to the room!

I’ll have to see about this one. I usually have a soft spot for ice cream … but I like my soft serve smooth. If it is grainy or icy at all, it isn’t for me. 

(I know, a picky soft serve eater. I have a sensitive palate. Oh, and twist, all the way on the twist.)

18 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

Elvis

Agreed. The only good prime rib is the Haven's. It's not fantastic, but it is very good. 

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

O'Sheehan's had a listed prime rib night in the Freestyle. I wish I could tell you how it was, but we pretty much stay out of O'Sheehan's. I haven't had a good meal there. 

@New2cruise2022, since you're out west (I lived in Mammoth Hot Springs, WY and Gardiner, MT for nearly five years), you need to get yourself to Logan, Montana. It's almost a straight shot up I-15 to 41 in Dillon. The absolute best steak, whether it's rib eye, prime rib, or filet, is served at the Land of Magic. The town is made up of a few grain mills and a lot of train tracks, but lordy they serve the finest meat in all the land. And while you're at it, order the twice-baked potato. 

4 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

Another buffet thought- I really prefer breakfast in the buffet because it can be almost anything, depending on my mood.  Down home, meat a palooza, English fry up, pancakes and waffles, fruit and healthy crap...anything.  

🤣🤣🤣

Ugh, I was listening to Cruise Tips TV podcast (I think that's the name). Their most recent episode was about cruise ship buffet hacks and tricks. The couple both kept talking about how it's so easy to eat healthy on a cruise. The dude thinks it's a good thing to eat healthy since you have so many choices around. I just kept on shaking my head left and right, left and right. No one (but a glutton for punishment) goes on a cruise to eat healthy. If you say you do, I don't believe you. 

Treat yo'self! Eat the bad food. 

9 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I’ll have to see about this one. I usually have a soft spot for ice cream … but I like my soft serve smooth. If it is grainy or icy at all, it isn’t for me. 

(I know, a picky soft serve eater. I have a sensitive palate. Oh, and twist, all the way on the twist.)

I'm more looking forward to the hand-scooped ice cream station. For DW, it's probably the soft serve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but last week's Encore cruise had prime rib in the MDR on the last night.  It was typical low quality MDR fare, but it was prime rib.  

I also saw a sign for it being the buffet on the first night.  Can't confirm it was there or how good as we ate in MDR first night.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but last week's Encore cruise had prime rib in the MDR on the last night.  It was typical low quality MDR fare, but it was prime rib.  

I also saw a sign for it being the buffet on the first night.  Can't confirm it was there or how good as we ate in MDR first night.

Restoring hope for me. I love prime rib. I love subprime rib too. 🤞🏽 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:14 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

Restoring hope for me. I love prime rib. I love subprime rib too. 🤞🏽 

I was on the Getaway in October, and yes they had prime rib in the MDR on the last.  And also yes, it was very sub-prime :)  I asked for medium rare, and it was the most well done piece of meat I ever say.  It was also very thin, but I've come to expect that when getting massed produced prime rib.  I did have a nice thick rare piece at Cagney's though

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

I was on the Getaway in October, and yes they had prime rib in the MDR on the last.  And also yes, it was very sub-prime 🙂 I asked for medium rare, and it was the most well done piece of meat I ever say.  It was also very thin, but I've come to expect that when getting massed produced prime rib.  I did have a nice thick rare piece at Cagney's though

They were going to give you a rare slab of prime rib, but they saw that you removed the DSC and throttled your service down to well done. 

(I know I don’t have to tell @dbrown84, but for anyone else that missed it: Comment written with heavy sarcasm.)

• Haha 3

They were going to give you a rare slab of prime rib, but they saw that you removed the DSC and throttled your service down to well done. 

(I know I don’t have to tell @dbrown84, but for anyone else that missed it: Comment written with heavy sarcasm.)

FUNNY!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:19 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Ugh, I was listening to Cruise Tips TV podcast (I think that's the name). Their most recent episode was about cruise ship buffet hacks and tricks. The couple both kept talking about how it's so easy to eat healthy on a cruise. The dude thinks it's a good thing to eat healthy since you have so many choices around. I just kept on shaking my head left and right, left and right. No one (but a glutton for punishment) goes on a cruise to eat healthy. If you say you do, I don't believe you. 

Treat yo'self! Eat the bad food. 

LOL. Believe it! For some of us who spend a lot of time prepping food so we can maintain a certain level of nutrition and perform well in our sports, it's a TREAT to have someone else cut up your fruits and vegetables. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:42 PM, Peachypooh said:

Arrange with any travel companions what section to meet after getting food. I have spent 20 minutes looking for people....now we pick a section to meet at.

We learned to do this a few cruises ago and it really helps.  The very first time we go to buffet we pick a small area towards the back where we will always meet up.  Saves a lot of roaming around looking for your spouse while your holding a plate of food that is getting cold!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We learned to do this a few cruises ago and it really helps.  The very first time we go to buffet we pick a small area towards the back where we will always meet up.  Saves a lot of roaming around looking for your spouse while you’re holding a plate of food that is getting cold!

This is a great tip. Of course maybe you could use an AirTag and play a game of Hot or Cold. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KansasTexan said:

LOL. Believe it! For some of us who spend a lot of time prepping food so we can maintain a certain level of nutrition and perform well in our sports, it's a TREAT to have someone else cut up your fruits and vegetables. 🙂

I believe ya! Every week I cut up fruit for my morning breakfast. Half an hour later, and a lot of garbage, I'm done! 

But...this guy is claiming he goes on a cruise to eat healthy, because it's easier. He didn't say he eats healthy all the time! This is why I was shaking my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1