Private tour companies in Santorini and Mykonos

janetmojo

We are booked in the Summer of 2023 with 6 ships in each port on the day of our arrival.  I'm looking for recommendations of private tour companies without just starting a search on Viator.  I have emailed two companies for each port already and have gotten nothing back.  Cost isn't necessarily an issue.

If money is no object I guess you could pay me to fly over (business class) and be your guide :).  But seriously, I think you need to consider a few issues.  With that many ships in Santorini, just getting in to shore and up the cable car (you need to get up to Fira to meet any private tour) can be a real problem.  Not only do you need to deal with the usual tender problems (depending on your ship and your status) but the cable car can only move about 600 persons an hour (in each direction).  If you have your hearts set on taking a tour this is a good island to consider a cruise line excursion,  Those excursions will generally tender you ashore to a different small port (Athinios) where you can board buses/vehicles.  

As to Mykonos the situation is not nearly as bad as Santorini.  But many first-time visitors want to take an excursion or tour to Delos (only done in the morning).  An excursion from the ship would likely tender you directly from the ship to Delos (many ships do this before they even dock or drop anchor at the island).  Those Delos tours will generally than bring you over to Mykonos Town by boat..at which time you are free to do your own thing.  You might consider that most folks on Mykonos either go to a beach or shop in town.  Both those options can be done on one's own (there are many options).

Hank

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, janetmojo said:

We are booked in the Summer of 2023 with 6 ships in each port on the day of our arrival.  I'm looking for recommendations of private tour companies without just starting a search on Viator.  I have emailed two companies for each port already and have gotten nothing back.  Cost isn't necessarily an issue.

janetmojo - We are going this summer too.   When are you going?  How did you find out how many ships would be in port when you are there?

We are booked in the Summer of 2023 with 6 ships in each port on the day of our arrival

It may not be as bad as you think.  Just wondering if on both days, you have read actual arrival and departure times, and that all 6 ships will be in each port with the exact same arrival and departure times as some ports stagger arrival and departure times to ease congestion.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, dacf said:

janetmojo - We are going this summer too.   When are you going?  How did you find out how many ships would be in port when you are there?

We are coming in mid-July and I just googled each port and found the schedule for the summer cruises and picked our date. 

Most of the ships are there most of the day. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, janetmojo said:

We are coming in mid-July and I just googled each port and found the schedule for the summer cruises and picked our date. 

Most of the ships are there most of the day. 

Might I ask how you find about the number of ships in a particular port?

Checking the two tours mentioned here, it seems that Marinakis and Santorini Tours are two parts of a large travel and tour company in the area.  So it seems comprehensive and reputable.

At the end of front page of their website:

ALSO VISIT OUR OTHER WEBSITE

www.santorinidailytours.com

www.marinakistours.com

santorini-catamaran.com

santorinibookinghotels.com

One can also check sites like guidesbylocals, getyourguide, tripadvisor, etc.

But, remember, it can be best, if you can identify a specific tour provider that you see and are interested, look to go directly to their contact or web-site and bypass the middle-man.

I have had luck with that while doing some early pre-planning.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, YOWmom said:

Has anyone used Santorini Daily Tours? Looking for reviews/feedback.

I just booked them for Sept 5, they have good reviews on Trip Advisor and were very quick to respond to my emails. 🙂