Port Canaveral - Terminal 1 (Royal Caribbean) Porters Question

qwerty11

I'm not interested in paying anyone extra to carry my luggage from the drop off point to the security drop off. Are the porters at Terminal 1, Royal Caribbean, at Port Canaveral provided by the port or are they the paid variety that you find out from you owe money to after they carry your luggage? Either way, where do you take your luggage if you want to ferry it yourself? 

Just now, Ashland said:

Then just keep your carryon luggage with you. Don't turn it over to the porters...assuming your luggage meets the carry on requirements to go through the security scanner.

But can I drop the luggage off to the cruise people to get to my cabin verses the 3rd party porters right there when you arrive at the curb? 

1 hour ago, qwerty11 said:

But can I drop the luggage off to the cruise people to get to my cabin verses the 3rd party porters right there when you arrive at the curb? 

There are no “cruise people” there to take your luggage because it’s the porters job to do that.  

I guess I don’t understand what the big deal is.  After paying hundreds of dollars for a nice cruise the last thing I worry about is handing the porter a measly  $5 to take our two pieces of checked luggage.

So sorry you want to start your vacation off on such a sour note…..

• Like 3

Assuming you don't have all carry-on, here's what happens with your larger pieces of luggage.  A porter takes them to a bin/container that is then loaded unto the ship by other port personnel (not the cruise staff).  This may be sorted by deck and priority. Once all the luggage bins are loaded onto the ship the cruise staff takes over and move to the passageway in front of your cabin.  Once you find your luggage in front of your cabin door, you bring it into your cabin.

$5 a bag will not break your cruise budget and if you properly label your luggage with the ship tags, you should have no problem is losing anything.

But do keep any medical items, electronic items, money and a change of clothing in a carry-on.  It could be later in the day before your luggage makes it to your cabin depending on the ship and amount of luggage being handled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, qwerty11 said:

AS GTO Girl  and crewsweeper said there are no cruise people to take your luggage. there are around twenty porters right at the luggage drop off.You can drop your luggage there and they will sit it on the concrete next to the steel cargo binds they fill with luggage. You might get a porter who just rights it off with No Tip or one who tears off the tag and sits it around the side. You will not see it on the ship and when you get back it might be in the unkown luggage  in lost and found with  alot of luggage people leave at car when unloading.Is it really worth The $2.50  tip per bag?Over our 31 years of cruising in ports like Miami when you were on a line with multiply  ships and ports your ship is going east route and your luggage ends up going west.