GeorgiaPeach Sails the Atlantic on Splendor

GeorgiaPeach51

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

3:15 and finally in the room.  This has been a hurry up and wait situation since we got off the plane.  First we retrieved our luggage easily and then exited baggage claim to quickly find the Regent reps there.  We left our luggage with the porters as instructed and then waited for 45 minutes for the remaining passengers on our little van.  There were only 8 of us.

the drive was about 20 minutes to the hotel, but then the waiting started again.  Rooms weren’t ready.  That took another 30 minutes.  Now we are sitting in the room waiting for the luggage to appear.  Sheesh!  For those who follow us, once we checked in they assigned our room when the room was ready and we received a different room than the one first mentioned.  Then we were instructed to go meet the Regent reps for the boarding day instructions.

Tomorrow our bags have to be ready to go and left in the room by 8 and will be picked up between 8 and 10.  We leave them in the room.  But we are assigned a 12:00 bus to the ship.  So, wondering what we want to do for four hours.  We have been to Barcelona and Sagrada Familia three times and have been on lots of tours.  We can certainly just prowl around…

But I’m leaning toward getting ourselves to the port for our assigned boarding time, which is 11:30 rather than fiddling around here.  Guaranteed that if we meet in the lobby at noon, as assigned, we will dither for about 45 minutes, then drive about 20 minutes to the ship and maybe get there by about 1:00 at the earliest.  Aha!  I’ve learned the hurry up and wait lesson and they can’t fool me with it again!

I’ll let you know what we decide.  I’m too brain challenged to think about anything more than taking a shower and getting an hour or two of sleep to tide me over.  Feeling a little frustrated because I’m tired and it felt somewhat excruciating trying to get here, so will sign out and come back with a more positive outlook!

I have read on the boards that many people get there themselves to avoid all this hassle.  So I was aware of what we might encounter.  But, this being our first experience with Regent air, hotels and transfers I wanted to just see how it went.  So far, I don’t recommend it but I’ll evaluate after I get some sleep.

Joanie

To hijack your post for a moment - wanted to comment on the pros/cons of using Regent for transfers, air, etc.  After arising at 4am this morning to get to the airport for our flight to Lima and catch the Mariner - we found that our 7:22 am flight had been delayed.  It continued to be delayed further and further until it reached the point that we would miss the ship's sailing.  Called the airline and they were absolutely no help whatsoever.  Was able to reach Regent's after hours number and they were great.  Got us a flight on a different airline (with an overnight flight) and arrangements to meet us at the newly scheduled arrival.  I believe this would have been a nightmare on our own.  Everyone has their own story and preferences - this is mine.  Enjoy sailing - will continue to follow your posts.

• Like 3

@carolina cruisin  well, reading your post raised my blood pressure BIG TIME.  Your experience is a real testimonial of why it pays to have the “insurance” that Regent provides.  I’m SO glad for you that it worked out and hate that you had such a huge amount of stress just trying to go have fun, and probably de-stress.

similar to all the the life, auto, dental, medical, travel insurance insurance we all buy just in case.  I hope you have a more than fantabulous trip and appreciate you injecting that somber but valuable viewpoint as I whine about sitting and waiting!  🙄🙄🙄 Rolling my eyes at my own self.

Joanie

7 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@carolina cruisin  well, reading your post raised my blood pressure BIG TIME.  Your experience is a real testimonial of why it pays to have the “insurance” that Regent provides.  I’m SO glad for you that it worked out and hate that you had such a huge amount of stress just trying to go have fun, and probably de-stress.

similar to all the the life, auto, dental, medical, travel insurance insurance we all buy just in case.  I hope you have a more than fantabulous trip and appreciate you injecting that somber but valuable viewpoint as I whine about sitting and waiting!  🙄🙄🙄 Rolling my eyes at my own self.

Joanie

Appreciate your response but I should have waited a while before posting.  Turns out we will not make the cruise - through no real fault of Regent.  Won't bore everyone with details just suffice it to say that a series of flight delays and cancellations - and then a plane crash at the Lima airport has prevented us from reaching the ship in time to embark.  Few other options so we opted out.  Wish us luck on the insurance claims on this one.  Enough of a "downer" - wish all of you happy cruising.  We will try again in February '23

• Like 2

Morning, all.  Bright, sunny and cold here in Barcelona.  And a pretty good wind adding to the chill.  I gave up and went to bed at 8:45 last night and didn’t get up until 7:15 when the alarm went off.  Good thing we set the alarm or we might have slept on.  We figured we would be up at 4 or 5 a.m.!  Only reason we got up was to get the luggage ready by 8 a.m. as instructed.  Feeling human again.  

We are going to get a cab to the terminal, as suggested.  Just easier all the way around and we are letting them fool with the luggage.  We are currently in the room and our luggage was just picked up at almost 10:00.  We will hopefully next encounter it on the ship.

A few words about the Sofia.  The room is very nice.  Super comfy bed.  Big enough to be easy to move around.  Great shower with pray thingy and rain thingy overhead.  When you get out of bed in the dark a motion sensor light goes on to guide you and another comes on in the bathroom if that is where you are headed.  Our room, 912, was quiet.  The buffet breakfast was nice.  Fruit and nuts and cheeses.  Lots of pastries and toast and breads.  Scrambled eggs, the bacon I was wishing for on the plane as I contemplated that cold croissant sitting on my tray on the plane, fried eggs and an array of sausages that I didn’t investigate.  Really good coffee.  I’ll post a few photos of the room for you.

A90A6D7F-FFFF-4EC3-90F3-A426D9B75781.jpeg

CEB6E2A9-12BD-42EF-A265-68EC73134E40.jpeg

0F7CCA4A-D0D8-42C2-887C-926024202CBB.jpeg

C2CC0A7D-3D3B-4B5B-9138-CB5B965721A2.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/18/2022 at 12:20 AM, Pcardad said:

Do you or your husband drink any type of bourbon?

Not too often.  He definitely does not but I occasionally dabble in experimenting with bourbon based mixed drinks.  Is there something you’d like me to find out for you?  Will be glad to…

We went to tell the check in people that we were taking a cab and she suggested that we wait to see if there was room on the coach.  So we did, and there was.  We decided to get off the bus and wait till our assigned arrival time of 11:30, so as to not jump the line so to speak, but turned out that was not necessary.  The bus pulled away at 10:50 and we were at the port at 1113.  They asked us to wait on the bus, which we all did for ten minutes and then there was a short line to go thru the passport check.  By then it was 11:35 and we were within our assigned check in time,  

after the passport check we were directed to an area to sit, along with lots of others.  I THINK they are checking in the Diamonds, etc.  They just called us all to get in line so they are doing a good job pacing things so people don’t stand in interminable lines.  It’s moving very quickly.

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 3

I appreciate your diligent reporting!  I know, first hand,  that you can get “caught up” in your obligation to your devoted readers!  We can wait.  I like to do ongoing trip reports so they can jog my memory when we return home and I transform them into a digital blog.  

We will sail on Splendor next year so I eagerly anticipate your observations.  

PS - it continues to be cold in ATL but sunny and dry weather. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cwn said:

So sorry to hear that about your flight problems. I did wonder if anyone would have problems due to the crash in Lima. 
I know you are disappointed.

Thanks for that.  Yes, timing is everything.  With flights delayed/cancelled - just couldn't get there in time.  Regent didn't have a good feeling about us being able to catch the ship in the next couple of ports.  So - we are home and feeling a bit sorry for ourselves.  This too will pass and we will be sailing again soon.  Enjoy your time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@carolina cruisin  Oh what dreadful news.  My heart hurts for you.  Couldn’t be more sorry that it ended up this way.  I certainly do hope the insurance aspects are resolved quickly and in your favor.  I’m so sorry.

Joanie

Kind words Joanie.  We will survive.  Know you will enjoy your cruise.  Look forward to following your adventures.  Would love to share a cruise with you one of these days.  Take care.  Stay safe.

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

Appreciate your response but I should have waited a while before posting.  Turns out we will not make the cruise - through no real fault of Regent.  Won't bore everyone with details just suffice it to say that a series of flight delays and cancellations - and then a plane crash at the Lima airport has prevented us from reaching the ship in time to embark.  Few other options so we opted out.  Wish us luck on the insurance claims on this one.  Enough of a "downer" - wish all of you happy cruising.  We will try again in February '23

OH NO - How awful!   So sorry to hear that.   In Feb, I assume you'll be driving to the ship?    See you onboard. 

• Like 1

So sorry you couldn't make it to the Mariner for the South America cruise.  My husband and I have been in Lima a few days, so we didn't get hung up on the mess at the airport.  We are onboard, and were supposed to have been leaving the port today.  However, we just received an email from Regent saying that we aren't leaving the port now until Monday at 6 p.m.  I guess they are waiting for more passengers and new crew to arrive.  Our view for the next two days is some huge pieces of grain hoppers in this very industrial port.  About the best I can say is, it's better than being at work.  Regent has quite a mess on their hands!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KL2014 said:

So sorry you couldn't make it to the Mariner for the South America cruise.  My husband and I have been in Lima a few days, so we didn't get hung up on the mess at the airport.  We are onboard, and were supposed to have been leaving the port today.  However, we just received an email from Regent saying that we aren't leaving the port now until Monday at 6 p.m.  I guess they are waiting for more passengers and new crew to arrive.  Our view for the next two days is some huge pieces of grain hoppers in this very industrial port.  About the best I can say is, it's better than being at work.  Regent has quite a mess on their hands!

Hope you get out and do some excursions while you're there.  I know you've been in Lima already, but there is so much to see--just hope that the Destinations people can pull something together!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gwesq said:

OH NO - How awful!   So sorry to hear that.   In Feb, I assume you'll be driving to the ship?    See you onboard. 

I almost hate to say anything the way everything keeps changing. So, we sitting at home in SC at 11am, feeling sorry for ourselves. Decided to call Delta to ask if we were still booked on the second leg of our trip. They advised that they had rebooked our entire flight. Who knew??  Called Regent and found they are holding the ship. Contrary to what we were told last night. Luckily we had not unpacked. So yet another trip to the airport. We are now sitting in Atlanta waiting to depart at 11:45pm. Arrive Lima 6:20am (we hope). So we may see you yet. Drinks will be in order. For all that have sent well wishes, hope to see some of you tomorrow, others perhaps sometime in the future. Not getting too excited until we step onboard. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hope you get out and do some excursions while you're there.  I know you've been in Lima already, but there is so much to see--just hope that the Destinations people can pull something together!

Wendy, as per my other note, still may meet up. Understand the “view” situation. That happened to us when we quarantined on our Baltic cruise. Are you able to get out and about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolina cruisin said:

I almost hate to say anything the way everything keeps changing. So, we sitting at home in SC at 11am, feeling sorry for ourselves. Decided to call Delta to ask if we were still booked on the second leg of our trip. They advised that they had rebooked our entire flight. Who knew??  Called Regent and found they are holding the ship. Contrary to what we were told last night. Luckily we had not unpacked. So yet another trip to the airport. We are now sitting in Atlanta waiting to depart at 11:45pm. Arrive Lima 6:20am (we hope). So we may see you yet. Drinks will be in order. For all that have sent well wishes, hope to see some of you tomorrow, others perhaps sometime in the future. Not getting too excited until we step onboard. 

When I read earlier that Regent is holding the ship until Monday my first thought was about you, so sorry that you were on your way home instead of to the ship.  I'm surprised you had to call Regent instead of them calling you to say you can make it now.   

Good Luck - hope you make it to the ship and have a great cruise!   I imagine that Welcome Champagne will be downed very quickly!  🙂       We are not on this cruise - we'll see you in February.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gwesq said:

When I read earlier that Regent is holding the ship until Monday my first thought was about you, so sorry that you were on your way home instead of to the ship.  I'm surprised you had to call Regent instead of them calling you to say you can make it now.   

Good Luck - hope you make it to the ship and have a great cruise!   I imagine that Welcome Champagne will be downed very quickly!  🙂       We are not on this cruise - we'll see you in February.  

Actually Refent contact us a couple of times. We were just first

• Like 2

I last posted as we were checking in.  Excellent process.  They had plenty of staff.  First we showed our passport then went through security.  Then sat in the chairs for maybe 7 minutes as they monitored the lines to keep people from standing.  Then in the line for perhaps three minutes, then we were talking with the check in staff, which were members of the entertainment staff!  She was very quick and efficient.  Gave our passports, Covid shots card, boarding pass and zip, we were done.  You walk through a shop area with the usual snacks, etc., and then the gangway.

I loved how they greet you, hand you bubbly and point you to your muster station.  Very efficient.  They get it over with and you get it over with and it’s nothing more than them checking you off the list via your cabin/ suite card in order to comply with maritime law, I assume.  

The Splendor vs The Explorer.  Much brighter, more open feeling, more “modern”, I guess.  Explorer had a clubby, darker, elegant library/den feel to me.  More dark wood and soft furnishings.  Splendor is lighter with Scandinavian wood tones, more gold snd silver.  I like them both.  Same layout, so it is nice to be familiar with everything.

Our first stop was for coffee, so here is the menu.  Then we had lunch in the Veranda. I wasn’t very hungry, so stuck with salad...but did have a scoop of excellent caramel ice cream.  My husband was thrilled with the chocolate ice cream, and I love to see him happy.  He was a birthday boy yesterday, so this cruise starting on his actual birthday was special, since he is now officially 70, and grateful to be there.

the ship is probably fully booked, I would guess, but have not verified that yet.  Our previous cruise was the first one after Covid cruise restrictions lifted and the ship was about half full.  In spite of that, though it feels like there are more people, it still doesn’t seem crowded.  The last time you could walk the main areas and encounter not one single soul.  It was weird! I prefer this!

We went to the Observation Lounge for drinks before dinner.  Very pretty, and the pianist was playing.  Visually I prefer the OL on the Explorer….the Oriental feel, and the darker decor, but both are lovely.

Dinner was in Prime 7.  It was very busy.  They appeared to be fully booked.  I had the clam chowder and Hubby (Rolf), had the scallops.  Both good.  I was cold, so the soup was just perfect.  I had a pashmina and was glad to have it….but keep in mind that I run cold no matter where I am.  I did see several other ladies with shawls, so factor that in as you plan clothing.  It was cold and very windy yesterday and that continues today.  

Back to Prime….he had the lobster, which arrived out of the shell, and I had the surf and turf, small fillet and lobster tail, also out of the shell.  I had asparagus and mashed potatoes and he tried the truffle fries.  It was all excellent.  There was a small serving issue where the waiter forgot the sauce for my steak.  Not a huge deal, but they were so busy that he also didn’t come back to check how things were, which would have been my opportunity to remind him of the sauce.  I’m sure they will iron out those kinds of small service issues.  I got it about halfway through.  It was an excellent meal and ended with the popcorn sundae for me and the chocolate cake and ice cream on the side.  I was touched that the waiters took time out of the very busy floor to bring him a birthday cake and to sing to him.  We had the cake sent to the cabin and it arrived last night along with utensils.  

we went to the show which was an overview of what to expect for entertainment, and very enjoyable.  I’ll fill you in on the day’s agenda next.

coffee menu

lunch

smoked tomato soup, amuse bouche Prime 7

clam chowder

chocolate cake

ice cream sundae

birthday boy

B90D493F-7744-434A-9FF9-8E9040A978CA.jpeg

53980D9F-9A82-4D7B-BD7A-C7B083165DFF.jpeg

0F37BB75-6E96-4A25-BE96-A541AB45555A.jpeg

AF27E9FC-F4D2-4B64-BEF2-F56D4EFCA4DB.jpeg

300531F1-DF65-410B-9CD8-D9599E429C63.jpeg

6F655726-DB8B-4DD2-AEA1-4B9E167D3F21.jpeg

782FFC71-139E-4AD7-8ED3-4418801B1D45.jpeg

BAAAEAE3-6752-4B6F-B151-7B7EC01E31D1.jpeg

9FD3F204-7E2C-47F3-A95D-6EE653CCE89C.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, re yesterday, I went wild and crazy about two o’clock yesterday and had a cup of high test (regular, not decaffeinated) coffee.  Have mercy, that I am now such a hothouse flower that I can’t have an eensy bit more caffeine lest things go off the rails.  I surely was tired last night when we went to bed at midnight, but don’t you know that I flipped and flopped like a mackerel half the night, at war with the bed, the sheets, the blanket, the pillows.  Sigh.

This morning was the caviar breakfast.  We missed it on the Explorer and I was determined to try it.  In spite of being 71 I have never really had caviar!  I’m not sure why, and now that I have tried it, I am not a fan!  So, that is off my bucket list.  I am assuredly not a fish person at breakfast.  There is a place in New Orleans called Mothers.  We used to go to NO every year and always to Mothers, and Rolf would get a crawfish etouffee omelet for breakfast. I shudder as I type.  

Anyway.  I had scrambled eggs, corned beef hash and bacon for breakfast.  Eggs were ok but I’d suggest you do an omelet instead, which is what Rolf did.  He said it was perfect.  But eggs, smeggs, what IS important is the first cronut of the cruise.  See below.  A thing of beauty and worth every calorie.  Definitely not doctor nor dietician approved.  😜

2005F31D-618F-4708-8A7E-3A0A9FE63724.jpeg

42C547CE-D1E3-4DEF-B7BA-EAB8C688A13D.jpeg

2EF9C777-3C1D-4A4D-9E25-744F716FECB2.jpeg

95523827-33A0-4B15-BDDB-2CCFCA6F6136.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Here is the daily for today.  We always hilight the things we MIGHT do, so please forgive the green lines.  I know many of you are concerned with guest speakers, so have included that, and will keep posting the dailies so you can imagine what you would do if on board with us.

48721890-3B37-4FED-B77A-DC814BDD8A89.jpeg

38417DB8-D011-4610-9158-F2E2F597BD4A.jpeg

F3DDBA0B-8A2A-46FD-A971-AF69C8A92FDC.jpeg

27CB797C-A928-4FB9-8CC1-1C7F0C3011BC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1