Process for Majestic Princess embarkation

timtam2

What has been the process so far for Majestic Princess at the OPT, in particular for the Medallion collection¿ As I'm travelling with my elderly mum, I want to try and avoid a crowd if possible. We are Elite and are in boarding group A.

We did Coral Princess a few weeks ago and it was 'normal' checkin, followed by the Medallion collection. Very streamlined and quick.

Then I did Grand Princess Syd-Mel and I was not impressed by the embarkation process at all. The Medallion collection was first and everyone was herded into the lower level of the OPT and had to queue up in one if those winding back and forth queues to get the Medallion. Then upstairs for the actual checkin.

I hope that was a one off.

Our embark for Majestic required medallion collection first, as you did with Grand.

By their logic, collecting the medallion made the check-in part of the process quicker, as you only had to tap your medallion and all your details were there. It would be just as easy with the green lane boarding pass, but as half the passengers have not had one, they felt the other way was slowing the check-in.

Boarding on first day for Majestic was a mess, but because of delays with disembark for a first arrival + a very pragmatic and understaffed borderforce. It was also a mess for the 2nd turnaround day because of our world class covid levels aboard. I believe Grand was also delayed for your boarding, due to being their first arrival into Australia.

I was near front of queue for our delayed Majestic boarding, so did not in up in a queue snake. Green lane boarding pass meant nothing to the medallion keepers, as they had no scanners at collection. Medallions were stored according to cabin number, and lots of people had to fumble through paperwork to find their cabin number, slowing the line that was forming behind. Have your cabin number handy, and they will love you for it.

If check-inopens before the queues begin to form, it will still be pretty slick. Hopefully Majestic will have little covid aboard, and she is also returning from a domestic cruise which should speed-up disembark considerably. Our medallion collection was quick, check-in also very quick (except for the assistant that briefly turned me to yellow status, and I needed to show her where the error was), then straight through X-Ray and on the ship. The time from walking to medallion collection to promenade deck was a bit over 10 minutes, slightly less than it was for us on Coral. For Coral we had a brief wait after check-in till boarding was ready.

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply arxcards. You would think that they would try to NOT have people crowded together unnecessarily right at the start of the cruise, particularly with no  masks or social distancing required. 

I wish the medallions could be sent ahead of the cruise as they are in the U.S.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, timtam2 said:

Thanks for your reply arxcards. You would think that they would try to NOT have people crowded together unnecessarily right at the start of the cruise, particularly with no  masks or social distancing required. 

I wish the medallions could be sent ahead of the cruise as they are in the U.S.

It would be nice There is only one place on land that programs the medallions, and it is in the US. Apart from there, they are all programmed on the ships, so unavailable until they deliver them from the ship to the terminal on embark morning.

They don't want crowds either, even pre-covid they hated it. Any time boarding is delayed by an hour, it is inevitable. On their preferred day, check-in opens 1/2hr before the boarding A time, and a queue never gets a chance to form. We have had a couple of those for Coral, but only because check-in opened earlier than the boarding slot times. I hope you have one of those days on [edit] Sunday

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

I agree Timtam - Grand P embarkation was a right debacle. There did not seem to be any proper priority line - I saw lots of Blue medallions in our queue and did wonder if Princess had given up. Like you I am boarding Majestic soon and was hoping for a more well organised approach. Coral P in BNE in August was super smooth. 

Edited by Aussieflyer

Just got an email from Princess. Masks are mandatory again for this cruise. Onboard and at embarkation. Now we won't be the only ones wearing masks. I am very happy about this! Common sense prevails...hopefully it's enforced.

• Like 7