CANCELATION AND FINAL PAYMENT DATES

luv2cruise51

Just wondering if some rules have changed with Seabourn since we last cruised with Seabourn in Oct./Nov. 2019. We booked a cruise in late December 2021 for a short Pacific Coastal scheduled for 10/13/2023 with our regular travel agent. At that time our invoice from him stated that the "penalty date" was 7/05/23. I had already checked on Seabourn's site and it stated for this cruise that the final payment was due 7/15/23. My TA usually subtracts another 10 days for final payment from the due date.

With the Black Friday Sail prices, our cruise went down in price. Our new penalty date & payment due date is now 6/05/23. When I questioned him about it, he stated that Seabourn had changed its policy and that the cancellation date with Seabourn is now 30 days before final payment date. So Seabourn's final payment date is still 7/15/23, 30 days before that is 6/15/23, and then my TA's  10 extra days before cancellation date is 6/05/23 which is what it now states.

Just wanted to confirm that this sounds right since its news to me. We have cruised with Seabourn 3 other times starting in 2010 and have another couple joining us on this Seabourn cruise for the first time and want to explain it correctly to them.

Thank you for any info.

Kathy

I can't respond to the dates but can confirm that the penalty date is before final payment, I think it was 30 days before final payment.  I had to cancel a Seabourn cruise because I had broken my elbow while on an earlier Seabourn cruise and will not be fully recovered.  They would not waive the 12% penalty.  Big chunk of change as it was for a 25 night Antarctica cruise.  I could have avoided the penalty by booking another cruise for as much or higher amount.  I was not willing to do that.

Jackie

• 4 weeks later...

I believe this sounds different than we discussed with TA at booking. We’ve paid in full for our May cruise, but how many days before is Seabourn’s pay in full date before sailing?  I looked in my account online and it doesn’t show as far as I can find. 

On 11/18/2022 at 3:51 AM, luv2cruise51 said:

Thank you, Jackie. 

It looks like this change with Seabourn came through after we booked in 12/2021 and now. My TA didn't mention it until he had to issue a new invoice with new lower price.

Kathy

Kathy the penalty phase for a few years now has applied before final payment is due. I know because my TA has reminded me about this a couple of times for reasons I can't recall exactly, but I think this may have been due to me trying to re-fare when specials occurred. 

Having said that I checked when the Black Friday Specials came out and all of my next three cruises were still more expensive than what I booked initially, and that includes one I booked in August.

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

but how many days before is Seabourn’s pay in full date before sailing?

I checked my invoice for my cruise in August and final payment date appears to be 120 days before the sail date. I haven't gone through the general financial T & C's but that is where you will find the dates of when penalty dates & rates start to apply.

7 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I checked my invoice for my cruise in August and final payment date appears to be 120 days before the sail date. I haven't gone through the general financial T & C's but that is where you will find the dates of when penalty dates & rates start to apply.

Thank you. That makes sense then on what our TA shared - that zero penalty ends next month for a late May cruise. Friends traveling with us may need to exercise this, even though we hope that does not happen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Promised I would get back on this. I checked with TA. Our cancellation fees were $150 each (not the $175 that I thought). We were B2B so we’re charged on both - which is the policy. My mistake. 
She did also confirm that these cancellation fees were not transferable/waived if we booked another cruise. 

33 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Promised I would get back on this. I checked with TA. Our cancellation fees were $150 each (not the $175 that I thought). We were B2B so we’re charged on both - which is the policy. My mistake. 
She did also confirm that these cancellation fees were not transferable/waived if we booked another cruise. 

Please disregard this post. My mistake 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Haha 1