would love to do a TA but airfare back to US crazy.

LB_NJ

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Easy solution for which direction TA to do.  Do both!

Did Anthem TA in May (with 5 nights post-cruise in England) and Voyager TA in Sept (with 3 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen).  🙂

Did this with an open jaw ticket on a single ticket, too.

Cruise departed Rome in October and a second ended in Barcelona in the following May.   Flew over to Italy and then home from Spain on the single r/t fare.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I use miles award tickets.  Don't have a mileage card?  Get one.  The initial bonus alone will generally cover at least 2 economy class tickets.

Agree with @RobInMN.  Westbound is much nicer with gaining an hour 6 times rather than losing it.

Westbound, it's nice to arrive home relaxed instead of jet lagged...we come home with more luggage because it is worthwhile to shop in Europe, would be hassle packing it all for the plane ride. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Domestic airfare for Spring Break is killing me right now too... I'd say search with any flexibility you have (can you stay another day or two before flying back? Is there another airport anywhere in the vicinity? European trains are very good for getting to other cities and airports.) and search on a travel site that lets you track prices. I like Kayak but also use Google Flights as recommended above. You can add additional airports in the same search or just say "nearby."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

One year we took a cruise to Barcelona in the spring and flew back to the US. Then in the fall we flew to Barcelona and cruised back to the US. We booked the flights together so it was considered round trip

That is an absolutely brilliant idea - thank you so much for posting.

5 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

One year we took a cruise to Barcelona in the spring and flew back to the US. Then in the fall we flew to Barcelona and cruised back to the US. We booked the flights together so it was considered round trip

How long do they usually give you to complete the second flight? 

You can fly open jaw (also called multi-city) ticket - West bound - fly to European city, take cruise, return to US port then second part of trip is from port city to home airport.  For example, I can fly to Barcelona, cruise to Miami, return flight Miami to Baltimore. 

East bound - home airport to port city, cruise to Europe, fly home. 

10 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Did this with an open jaw ticket on a single ticket, too.

Cruise departed Rome in October and a second ended in Barcelona in the following May.   Flew over to Italy and then home from Spain on the single r/t fare.

Thats the trick. I keep saying I am going to do that. Had it booked but then covid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, artvlay said:

How long do they usually give you to complete the second flight? 

You book both legs initially.  The challenge for most folks who like to book flights early is that they must wait for the schedule of the second flight to be made available before booking anything.  This is usually 330 days out for second flight,  which means that you're  inside of 6 months from the first flight needed. A lot of cc'ers like to book much earlier than that for some reason, even if not using miles, which is the only reason to book so early, IMHO.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Thanks 1