Bringing Alcohol, Not a debate, Interpretation

kelleyd

I know this is a hot topic and not trying to stir the pot.  The topic is discussed in the FAQ.  2 places I found so far:

"Embarkation day when each guest is permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest."

"Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne."

I know they contradict, but my question is: I brought 4 mini bottles of champagne on board.  Total was less than 750.ml.  I was briefly flagged, but waved on.  I was doing the math and went for volume not quantity.  Rereading, this again, I was wrong.  Specifically says 2 bottle up to...so the 750ml doesn't matter, right?

I ask because I am going again and those individual bottles were awesome.  And wondering if others have run into this or not.  I was lucky? Or is it somewhere that its the volume that's the point....(yeah, I'm trying for 8 next time!)

It seems that many of the screeners get easily confused with differing alcohol policies of the different cruiselines. On our last cruise we brought on 4-750ml bottles of wine. My DH packed them in 1 carry on bag, which was flagged as he went through. I had gone through in front of him with our other carry on items. This resulted in a debate that involved 6 or so screeners. "Is 1 person allowed to board with 4 bottles? Should his wife return to the station to carry on 2 of the bottles? Is this the new Celebrity policy, maybe we should get the supervisor and have this looked up?" Fortunately I had a copy of the cruise contract on my cell phone and was able to show it to them so we could all stop wasting time. My point is that you may end up with a screener who agrees with your volume conclusion, but you may end up with a screener who says 2 bottles per person. Your best bet is to not carry them all in the same bag and if you have a travel partner have them carry some onboard. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kelleyd said:

I know they contradict, but my question is: I brought 4 mini bottles of champagne on board.  Total was less than 750.ml.  I was briefly flagged, but waved on.  I was doing the math and went for volume not quantity.  Rereading, this again, I was wrong.  Specifically says 2 bottle up to...so the 750ml doesn't matter, right?

Correct, the volume is a limit on the maximum size of the 2 bottles you can bring onboard, it doesn't permit you to bring on 4 smaller bottles.

So it just comes down to "Do you feel lucky?"...

• Like 1

"Guests are only permitted to bring alcohol onboard under the following circumstances

1.) Embarkation day when each guest is permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. Security may inspect containers (including water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, canteens, etc.) at any time and will dispose of alcohol concealed in such container."

My uncle bought 4 bottles of tequila on our tour in PV this month. Celebrity did not take the bottles when we returned to the ship. We new they might hold the bottles.

What would you think my chance of bringing Fre on the ship and not being stopped or limited?  Fre is an alcohol removed wine.  While I have a bev package due to our suite, I'm not sure if there are many non alcoholic choices onboard so thought I'd bring my own.  I am afraid the screeners won't let them through.  Any opinions?

Edited by cunn9004

Thanks everyone.  Yeah I guess its luck.  But splitting it up makes sense.  I will have to get others in my party to bring some on for me.

It didn't save me a ton of money but did save a few bucks and allowed a fresh pop for my double mimosas.

Would have saved more if i remembered to bring a bottle opener!  Bought one at the shop, a left over from the transatlantic cruise.