Gratuities, does the employees actually get them?

MikeACY

26 minutes ago, surfone said:

Maybe some day we will see most all the cruise lines go with no separate charge for gratuities as on Virgin.  

Why would that make any difference?

$4 cost + $1 gratuity = $5 total  VS $5 cost including gratuity

Either way, you pay the same.

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Why would that make any difference?

$4 cost + $1 gratuity = $5 total  VS $5 cost including gratuity

Either way, you pay the same.

I think the original post explores the idea that it becomes about bottom line dollar vs bottom line dollar + tip. It begins to remove some of the philosophical questions about who gets what tips and when do they get them. 

When I am getting serious about buying a car, I don’t love the little meeting after we agree to buy when they lay out all of the other fees and options. If I am that close to buying I have my salesperson get the out-the-door price. That way I know what my final check will be or what the total finance will be with dealer fees, warranties, taxes, etc. 

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I think the original post explores the idea that it becomes about bottom line dollar vs bottom line dollar + tip. It begins to remove some of the philosophical questions about who gets what tips and when do they get them. 

When I am getting serious about buying a car, I don’t love the little meeting after we agree to buy when they lay out all of the other fees and options. If I am that close to buying I have my salesperson get the out-the-door price. That way I know what my final check will be or what the total finance will be with dealer fees, warranties, taxes, etc. 

But your "out the door" price above is still $5...again, either way it turns out the same.

Maybe the answer is to stop worrying about the philosophical questions in the first place. When you pay your fare, you don't worry about how it is divided up, so why worry so much about this?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, MSUjohn said:

yes, it can be the passenger's business, because they are ultimately ponying up the cash, thus they are the primary driver of the exchange.

same goes for basic workplace saftey.

10 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

So the salary of anyone who works anywhere you choose to spend your money is your business?  The answer is no and your premise is invalid.

Why do you always put words into people's mouths?  And then proceed to dismiss the made up statements you attribute to them?

That is not what MSUohn said at all.  We're talking about gratuities paid by the guest.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to know where that money goes.

45 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Why do you always put words into people's mouths?  And then proceed to dismiss the made up statements you attribute to them?

That is not what MSUohn said at all.  We're talking about gratuities paid by the guest.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to know where that money goes.

Likewise, there is value knowing how the DSC is handled. Knowing that NCL has to meet minimum wages for employees regardless of how many passengers remove DSC is helpful. 

Example: If you enjoy the service during the cruise, you can tip as you go. But if you run into issues — maintenance in your cabin, or multiple non delivered services or items like being “sold out” of many drink offerings in your package — there is still a way to work with NCL. In the event you bring these problems to issue and NCL fails to offer FCC or refunds for something purchased that was below standards/expectations, the consumer still has recourse. At this point the consumer has been good to the crew, tried to work out a resolution, and wants NCL to understand the dissatisfaction and can do so by removing the DSC. One cruiser here and there would make little impact, but if 15 cruisers remove the DSC because bartenders wouldn’t do mixed shots or brands were removed or unavailable, NCL is more likely to take note and possible change. 

I know that is unpopular with some people, but NCL sold DSC as a removable item. This is the bed they made and it is fair for consumers to use it as a messaging tool beyond an email that will be deleted. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Since the fare is decreased if you elect not to take the Free @ Sea, the prices did increase.

Nice try, but no. The fares without Free @ Sea are lower, but they are still up from pre-promotion. They just didn't increase as much. Not only that, but individual drink prices and specialty restaurant prices are also inflated. The free stuff costs everyone more....the costs are built into everyone's fare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Nice try, but no. The fares without Free @ Sea are lower, but they are still up from pre-promotion. They just didn't increase as much. Not only that, but individual drink prices and specialty restaurant prices are also inflated. The free stuff costs everyone more....the costs are built into everyone's fare.

The fact that the fares have increased from pre-promotion are not relevant to whether the fares are increased if  you opt for the free@sea.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The fact that the fares have increased from pre-promotion are not relevant to whether the fares are increased if  you opt for the free@sea.

It is exactly relevant. The very topic begs the question "increased from WHAT". The fact is that all fares have gone up to cover the free promotions. ALL. FARES. You are unsuccessfully trying to divert the topic by comparing prices without Free @ Sea (which, btw, still include the shore ex and wifi freebies) with those that include everything and then claiming that the fares were reduced...which they were not.

The fact is that the statement was made that fares have gone up...something that FDR has plainly stated time and again...since the switch in marketing methods.

9 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

It is exactly relevant. The very topic begs the question "increased from WHAT". The fact is that all fares have gone up to cover the free promotions. ALL. FARES. You are unsuccessfully trying to divert the topic by comparing prices without Free @ Sea (which, btw, still include the shore ex and wifi freebies) with those that include everything and then claiming that the fares were reduced...which they were not.

The fact is that the statement was made that fares have gone up...something that FDR has plainly stated time and again...since the switch in marketing methods.

You stated the fares did not increase when Free@Sea started when clearly they did.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You stated the fares did not increase when Free@Sea started when clearly they did.

You might want to read that again...I said no such thing. (and please don't tell me that you don't know what using 🙄 means on Cruise Critic)

55 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You might want to read that again...I said no such thing. (and please don't tell me that you don't know what using 🙄 means on Cruise Critic)

Suppose NCL included the DSC in the Free@Sea promotion.

Would the cost of the cruise increase or decrease?

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Suppose NCL included the DSC in the Free@Sea promotion.

Would the cost of the cruise increase or decrease?

Go back to post #102 and read it. "Including" something will ALWAYS increase the cost...it has to be paid for somehow. There is no free lunch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Go back to post #102 and read it. "Including" something will ALWAYS increase the cost...it has to be paid for somehow. There is no free lunch.

My point was that some think there are free lunches and that if the cruise line includes DSC as part of the basic fare, then they won't have to pay DSC because the cruise line is paying it.  They want the DSC to be covered by the basic fare without an increase in the fare.

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My point was that some think there are free lunches and that if the cruise line includes DSC as part of the basic fare, then they won't have to pay DSC because the cruise line is paying it.  They want the DSC to be covered by the basic fare without an increase in the fare.

I got that...it is you who has missed the point of my reply....simply because you don't quite get what it means to conclude a statement on CC with the 🙄 emoji.

Everything that the cruise line pays is paid for with money that the guests onboard pay to the cruise line.

45 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

After 121 responses, am I the only one that cringes when reading the lack of subject verb agreement in the title?

Pointing out a grammatical error is against forum rules....unless the error is really funny. 🤫

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Haha 1