the sail INTO New York

ace2542

Does Cunard do a wake up service for any passenger that would want to see the ship sail into NYC? Do they a drop box for people wanting a wake up call? I know they won't announce it but surely the reception would ring you if you asked them to?

1 minute ago, s.s.France said:

Not as far as I know, but the captain announces the planned time under the bridge and for docking the day before so you can set your alarm accordingly.

We have done that and every time we have missed it the ship is there already or past the statue of liberty. It never seems to run to time? Surely Cunard would have no problem maing a quick from call from reception desk.  Something like this "morning Mr ace2542 we will be passing the statue of liberty in 15 minutes" or words to that effect?

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We have done that and every time we have missed it the ship is there already or past the statue of liberty. It never seems to run to time? Surely Cunard would have no problem maing a quick from call from reception desk.  Something like this "morning Mr ace2542 we will be passing the statue of liberty in 15 minutes" or words to that effect?

To, say, 500 passengers on a very busy day? Why not just arrange a very early automatic wake up?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Do you mean C.1400 times? It would be afternoon before they got to the Z's

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

To, say, 500 passengers on a very busy day? Why not just arrange a very early automatic wake up?

I am actually gonna stay up so I don't miss it as it wil likely be my father's last chance to see it. You think as many 500 people would want to see sail in?

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I am actually gonna stay up so I don't miss it as it wil likely be my father's last chance to see it. You think as many 500 people would want to see sail in?

Well, the three times I have done it, almost all the passengers seem to have been up watching, but I’m sure it would be more that just a handful

We have sailed into NY Harbor on 3 occasions on the QM2 and have never missed the arrival. Our secret is to be on top of Deck 13 about 45 minutes BEFORE the Captian's announced time. Passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is very exciting. Once we pass under the bridge we head down to our cabin (ALWAYS on the port side) were there is just enough time to brew a strong cup of coffee before watching the Statue of Liberty pass by from our balcony. Dress warm!!!!

Jack

• Like 1

There were a large number of people up and about yesterday morning to watch us first go under the bridge, (which was just before 5AM, I think?), and then to see the Statue of Liberty. The decks were quite busy, and I'm sure that there were even more who were watching from their balconies.  

• Like 1

I was on the same crossing as neeuqdrazil (although we managed to not meet) and was one of the crowd of freezing loonies up on deck 13. 

I noticed that most people focused on looking ahead as the bridge approached.  For me, the "money shot" is to turn around and look at the mast and funnel as they approach the bridge (you're sure they are going to scrape the bridge).  Unfortunately, now that the funnel and other topside works are no longer illuminated at night, it is difficult to get the dramatic photos that I have done in previous years.

BTW, if you're going to take pictures with your phone, turn off the flash; it only illuminates a small patch in front of you, and causes the lens to stop down, impairing the picture you're trying to get.

Photo below was taken around 5:20a on 20 November 22.

IMG_4438.JPG

Edited by rsquare
  • Like 1