No More Mixed Shots!

id10t

Just now, victory2020 said:

Carnival's package includes drinks up to $20. I am now finding out that drinks that are covered on other lines are extra on NCL (coffee drinks, milkshakes, espresso martini, etc). I'm a little regretful of adding the package to my upcoming cruise. We don't drink a lot

• Like 1

As explained to me aboard the BA last month, there was a incident involving a " patron that drank too many shot's ", when I asked for a bazooka joe it was given to me in a glass with ice. I guess that would ok with some shot drinks but would lose the visual effect on others, such as a mini beer or a buttery nipple 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

On top of the $19.80/per day that you are already paying. I mean if the average person drinks 10 drinks per day, that is $1.98 per drink. And when traveling as a couple, that is $1.98 per drink, per person - not per round. And I am reminded that NCL is further increasing the gratuities in 2023 because they are raising the base price of the package from $99 to $109. So, now we have the privilege of paying an industry leading $21.80 per person per day for one of the most (if not the most) restrictive package in the industry. Industry leading pricing at industry lagging offerings. Never a good mix!

I decided to see what our cruise would have cost us without the UBP. If it's $99 per person, for our upcoming 9-day cruise, that amounts to $891 before taxes. The cabin itself cost us only about $20 more than that. Now, it's true we could have gotten the cabin without the FAS offers, but no way was it almost $900 more than the base cabin fare. I still think it's a heck of a deal.

56 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

LOL!! We used to feel the same way, but more recently, it just seems like it is well, we can't do this, or you can get this for another dollar plus 20 cent gratuity. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

We started looking at other lines and yes, like NCL, you have to pay a slightly higher fare price, but the daily service charge is fully included. I have specific knowledge of MSC and Carnival's Drinks on Us promotion which is offered from time to time through their loyalty program (VIFP). Not to mention, their included packages include a much wider variety of liquors plus specialty coffees, milkshakes, bottled waters, etc.

We've enjoyed the NCL drink package often drinking in excess of 10 per day ! While $1.98 gratuity for limited options is not a "bad deal", we have found $0.00 gratuity for top shelf, run of house options to be a much, much "better deal". My experience on Carnival: you want Blanton's, no worries.....Crown Royal, sure.....Bailey's....no problem, Woodford, of course.

My experience on NCL.....that will be $1.00 plus 20 cent gratuity.

When comparing offerings, especially MSC, make sure you factor in that going above the included package (I think they give you anything up to $17, unless it's been changed), you pay 100% of the more expensive drink. NCL comps you the first $15. So a $20 glass of wine on NCL costs you $5 + tax, but with MSC it's the whole $20 (plus tax). That can add up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

On top of the $19.80/per day that you are already paying. I mean if the average person drinks 10 drinks per day, that is $1.98 per drink. And when traveling as a couple, that is $1.98 per drink, per person - not per round. And I am reminded that NCL is further increasing the gratuities in 2023 because they are raising the base price of the package from $99 to $109. So, now we have the privilege of paying an industry leading $21.80 per person per day for one of the most (if not the most) restrictive package in the industry. Industry leading pricing at industry lagging offerings. Never a good mix!

Not sure where you're getting that NCL is the worst. I paid $59/pp/day on RCC for their drink package. So I'll gladly take the $21/pp/day price tag on NCL any day.

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

My takeaway from all this: What's a mini beer?

image.thumb.png.e506bde77a6135671c54ad12cef1b45f.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sailing12Away said:

Not sure where you're getting that NCL is the worst. I paid $59/pp/day on RCC for their drink package. So I'll gladly take the $21/pp/day price tag on NCL any day.

Hello. The base price of NCL's package is listed at $99, $109 effective 1-1-2023. Apparently RCL is $59 by your reporting. RCL includes, souvenir cup, premium coffees and teas, fresh squeezed juices plus still and sparkling waters, none of which is included with NCL. This forms my opinion that NCL' s package is subpar. I hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Hello. The base price of NCL's package is listed at $99, $109 effective 1-1-2023. Apparently RCL is $59 by your reporting. RCL includes, souvenir cup, premium coffees and teas, fresh squeezed juices plus still and sparkling waters, none of which is included with NCL. This forms my opinion that NCL' s package is subpar. I hope that helps.

Comparing cruises is complicated. From start to finish you have to know what you want, what they offer, and what the total price is. 

There is the initial offering — the price of the cruise by category. Then, what is included in that price (drinks, coffees, tax, port fees, gratuities). Then you have to consider drink packages, WiFi packages, etc. 

So, even if one drink package is cheaper from one cruise line to another cruise line, the total value may not reflect the savings. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Carnival's package includes drinks up to $20. I am now finding out that drinks that are covered on other lines are extra on NCL (coffee drinks, milkshakes, espresso martini, etc). I'm a little regretful of adding the package to my upcoming cruise. We don't drink a lot

You can delete the drink package from your cruise up to 3 days in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

You're lucky the RCL drink package was only $59 pp/pd.  On the RCL cruise I took, the drink package was $89 pp/pd + 18% gratuity.  It was a holiday cruise and I knew it would be more but that's crazy. I don't need a cup to carry around, fancy coffee (I use my Starbucks app on NCL), fresh squeezed juices with the empty calories (I'll take my empty calories as tequila) or water. I kept looking for the sales I keep hearing about on RCL but one ever materialized for my cruise.

I am feeling so taken advantage of. We have the free at sea package and countless NCL employees touted it as “all drinks included” and we have since found out that very few are actually included. Unfortunately the extra $500 + gratuity to upgrade just isn’t worth it. Definitely feel nickel and dimed to death. Not a good feeling for my honeymoon. 😞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

image.thumb.png.e506bde77a6135671c54ad12cef1b45f.png

Is that Christian???? He's fantastic!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shidah said:

In the past the bartenders in the Vibe made them in bulk for shot o’clock.  May want to try there.

what is shot o'clock?! I can assume it's a time where everyone in Vibe takes a shot together!? Will be on Encore in a few weeks and have Vibe passes for the week already.  Intrigued....

• Like 1

I don’t understand people complaining about NCL’s drink package. 1, it’s always “included” save for the grats you have to pay. 2, it includes almost everything, save for some expensive wines/champs and cognacs/bourbons. 3, other lines’ drink packages suck. Celebrity includes drinks up to $12, and then all drinks at the bars in the menus are $13, obviously on purpose. RCCL’s is SO expensive, and they never run promos including it. I paid about $1200 extra to add two beverage packages on my one RCCL cruise, which essentially doubled the price. The first drink I ordered was a mai tai…and was told it wasn’t included. WHAT?! I felt so limited in the drinks on that line, and i spent a fortune on the package. It literally keeps me from sailing RCCL because it adds so much on top of the fare.

I also don’t understand someone who said NCL is charging Reagent/Seabourne prices LOL If that were the case, I would be on those lines. That’s just silly. By the time I price other lines out and add beverage packages, NCL is almost always cheaper (other than maybe MSC, who, as mentioned prior, charges the entire drink price if over the $15 limit).

• Like 5

i find it very odd than NCL removed Cap’n Morgan. Cap’n Morgan is like the bud light of spiced rum*

*spiced rum is absolutely vile....real rum is so much better. i just wonder how many people were put of rum because their only experience with it is "spiced rum".

Edited by MSUjohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MissRabbit said:

Yo all the bartenders out there, what’s the difference between mixed shots and mixed drinks? Isn’t it just as time consuming to make? 

mixed shots are often times layered which does take up a little bit of time, but mixed drinks, like a painkiller, or frozen drinks, like a mudslide or bushwacker are also time consuming--often times it is just the preception.  BUT!!  With shots, you can get drunker faster if you don't watch your consumption--when you're with a group, it could spell trouble real fast.  But again, you can get real drunk on single liquor shots just as well, so really the point is moot.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

i find it very odd than NCL removed Cap’n Morgan. Cap’n Morgan is like the bud light of spiced rum*

*spiced rum is absolutely vile....real rum is so much better. i just wonder how many people were put of rum because their only experience with it is "spiced rum".

IMO, rum is vile.  There is a reason spices were added.  

The Bacardi spiced rum is the Bud Light of spiced rums.  The Kraken they serve is much better, but, has a certain taste that makes me prefer Captain Morgan. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jennypoo803 said:

I am feeling so taken advantage of. We have the free at sea package and countless NCL employees touted it as “all drinks included” and we have since found out that very few are actually included. Unfortunately the extra $500 + gratuity to upgrade just isn’t worth it. Definitely feel nickel and dimed to death. Not a good feeling for my honeymoon. 😞

It looks like you're about ten days out from your cruise. Congratulations! And honeymoon. Double congratulations! And newly weds. Triple congratulations! Ok...I think that's all the congratulations! 

I'm sorry you were misled by the liars of NCL's marketing department. You will need to read everything, very closely, and ask a lot of questions on your cruise to be sure you get what you want (and don't have to pay extra for it). The good news is, you'll still be able to drink a lot of included (not free) booze! 

Here's what you won't be able to drink:

Specialty coffees from Starbucks, milkshakes (never included which is stupid), high end liquor, boxes of water, bottles of fizzy waterm the ice bar, bottles of wine, mini bar, fresh squeezed juice (I've never even seen this), and energy drinks. There's probably a few more drinks I'm missing. 

BUT, there's a huge world out there of alcohol you can drink. And, if you do enjoy high end liquor (or Bailey's), you can still order it and only pay the price difference from the highest included priced drink of $15. So, for example, Bailey's is $16. You would receive $15 toward the cost, thus having to pay $1 for the Baileys and 20% gratuity, so your total charge is $1.20. Expensive and stupid? Yes. Ruining a honeymoon? I hope not! 

NCL is annoying and you have to really read the terms and conditions. I felt like you just before I booked my first NCL cruise. Then I joined Cruise Critic, dug into all the terms and conditions, read reviews, and watched too many YouTube videos. I still despise NCL's leadership, including Frankie boy (the CEO of NCLH) and their marketing department. Marketing is just a fancy term for professional liars. Don't worry, there will be some out there that will say you and I are the problem. We're not - just ignore those Cruise Criticers. I would highly suggest you read the terms and conditions to the Free at Sea package to see what you're really getting. Here they are: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions.

Even though I despise the above parties, I still sail NCL and recommend NCL as a company. The onboard experience is amazing which is why I think you'll still have a great honeymoon. Just know you'll have to pay extra for some things, or not participate. It's good you know now, rather than finding out onboard. 

You might be able to make your life onboard better by ponying up a little more cash. I'm not saying you should, but want to know you have the option of purchasing the Free at Sea Plus upgrade. All the drinks I mentioned above that you are not able to get, you can get it (except milkshakes). Plus you'll get a $50 shore excursion credit for guest number two on your reservation, two additional specialty dining meals per person, and an unlimited Wi-Fi package (not streaming). It does cost $49 per person, per day so is definitely pricey, but maybe worth it if you'll use the benefits and know you can receive virtually all alcohol onboard (there's still some exclusions). The total for you two would be $686. 

Here are the amenities, also found at the terms and conditions link I placed above. Apparently you can pay $59 per person, per day to get the streaming package, if you'd prefer that. 

image.png.c20cde8f95f126e98a4b5094485584f6.png

If you have any other questions that might make your honeymoon a little bit better, please let us know!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

IMO, rum is vile.  There is a reason spices were added.  

The Bacardi spiced rum is the Bud Light of spiced rums.  The Kraken they serve is much better, but, has a certain taste that makes me prefer Captain Morgan. 

I have to say, I agree with @PATRLR. Capt. it is for me! I'm biased as it was my drink of choice in college. I've downed far too many shots of Capt. Morgan for me to remember and had many nights I'll never remember, but never forget thanks to the good ole Capt.

Regular rum? I just can't. I'll definitely try out the Kraken to see if I can tolerate a Kraken and Coke. That sounds kind of cool, just not comfortably familiar.