Price Drop after booking (NCL)

Mr&MrsBennifer2022

Hi everyone.  I am brand new having just registered a few minutes ago so that I can connect with people on my sailing and ask this question.  I have been reading the forums for a few weeks and I keep seeing it mentioned that if the price drops for your cruise that you can call and get a refund.  Can someone give me more information about that?  It looks like the balcony rooms are significantly reduced since we booked.  I am most worried about comparing oranges to apples since there are so many types of balcony rooms and this is only my second cruise (last was 2006) so I am not sure if I call and say our room is now X amount if I would really be talking about the same cabin type.  Does that make sense? 

Thank you!

Hi Jenny!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I see you found your Roll Call, and that your honeymoon cruise is just a few weeks away -- congratulations!

The ability to re-fare depends on being before "final payment" and/or penalty dates -- fares often drop dramatically after that date as the sailing approaches. Final payment is generally three months before sailaway so it sounds like you booked within that window.

For future knowledge, re-faring for reduced rate or new/added promotional perks also depends on having a refundable deposit AND there being equivalent cabins still available. Re-faring is essentially cancelling and re-booking with the TA or cruiseline rep doing the 'work' behind the scenes.

Finally, the cruiselines may have different policies. The "board" for NCL is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

You can read threads and ask more questions there! Again -- Welcome to CC!

If you used a TA call & ask them to check if you can get the discounted rate   or call NCL if you booked direct

Sometimes  you can get  an OBC  for the difference in prices after final payment

It does not hurt to ask 

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably on your cruise right now, but I just wanted to try to make you feel better when you get back.   Just remember, when you originally booked your cruise, you booked it because the value was there for you ( Price was acceptable and ports were where you wanted to go).  Don't think of how others paid less by waiting.  Others probably paid more that you for their cabins when they booked.   Cruises are a discretionary form of travel/entertainment.  As long as you enjoyed yourself ( how could you not...you are on a honeymoon!), the final price should not matter.  I used to have a jar in my kitchen.  I would put my grocery savings into that jar, and when it got full, I would put that money into a cruise.  I once saved about $3,000 over the year and it paid for a 7 day cruise for 2.  You are still learning the ins/outs of cruising, and cruising on a budget.