QE and QV - Deck 4, 5 or higher for PG/QG?

buchanan101

Looking to book a cruise on one of these and have seen that PG/QGs are generally in the central, wider, stack. 

The (slightly) cheaper cabins seem to be on decks 4 and 5 - are the views obstructed by lifeboats? Why are they a bit cheaper? Lower down = better for ship movement... a few more floors up to the restaurant, but there are lifts, so what...?

(Had QG on deck 9 on QM2 last month, and the view was just above lifeboats which would be fine for a Norweigian fjord cruise if similar view on QE?)

Also noticed that something like a 5% discount is possible through some cruise agents rather than direct with Cunard, and the same add ons are offered (on board credit, or parking, or coach). Any recommendations? Any way to get a little extra if booking early - (in this case Summer 24 when they become live)?

Edited by buchanan101

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Looking to book a cruise on one of these and have seen that PG/QGs are generally in the central, wider, stack. 

The (slightly) cheaper cabins seem to be on decks 4 and 5 - are the views obstructed by lifeboats? Why are they a bit cheaper? Lower down = better for ship movement... a few more floors up to the restaurant, but there are lifts, so what...?

(Had QG on deck 9 on QM2 last month, and the view was just above lifeboats which would be fine for a Norweigian fjord cruise if similar view on QE?)

Deck 4 has larger balconies, but I like to be as high as possible, so usually book Deck 7. The lifeboats don’t obtrude on any cabins in the central stack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Deck 4 has larger balconies, but I like to be as high as possible, so usually book Deck 7. The lifeboats don’t obtrude on any cabins in the central stack.

Thanks

Why higher? Just better views? Wondering why I wouldn't save £200pp on Deck 4...

Ah of course, lifeboats are fore and aft of the stack, hence it can be wider. My bad!

15 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Thanks

Why higher? Just better views? Wondering why I wouldn't save £200pp on Deck 4...

Ah of course, lifeboats are fore and aft of the stack, hence it can be wider. My bad!

Yes, simply having a more distant horizon and larger views. Also if you are parked next to the quay in a port where the terminal is quite tall, you can’t really see over it on Deck 4. Scrutinise cabins on Deck 8 very carefully to see what they are below. The often move things around in the Lido and round the pools early in the morning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, simply having a more distant horizon and larger views. Also if you are parked next to the quay in a port where the terminal is quite tall, you can’t really see over it on Deck 4. Scrutinise cabins on Deck 8 very carefully to see what they are below. The often move things around in the Lido and round the pools early in the morning.

Thanks again...

Certainly a few funnies on the plans..

4095 and 4097 seem 50% larger than normal PGs. Are they disabled cabins?  Some PGs have a part forward facing balcony - are these cabins of choice?

We’ve always gone for a P2 grade cabin on the Vistas, on decks 5/6. Not sure of the advantages of paying extra for a P1 cabin  just above on deck 7?

The lifeboats are below these balconies and don’t spoil any views but all the PG’s being so central are convenient for reaching all parts of the ship. And just a matter of moments for accessing decks 11 and 12…by lift.

4 minutes ago, Petulia said:

We’ve always gone for a P2 grade cabin on the Vistas, on decks 5/6. Not sure of the advantages of paying extra for a P1 cabin  just above on deck 7?

The lifeboats are below these balconies and don’t spoil any views but all the PG’s being so central are convenient for reaching all parts of the ship. And just a matter of moments for accessing decks 11 and 12…by lift.

Thanks - seems to be the views; will be looking at relative prices of PGs to QGs when they come out, but thinking of ways to save a few ££; PG v QG, P2 v P1, travel agent v Cunard direct...

There is Britannia Club of course, but liked QG on QM2

Just the long thin shape of those PGs I'm not totally sold on!

48 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Thanks again...

Certainly a few funnies on the plans..

4095 and 4097 seem 50% larger than normal PGs. Are they disabled cabins?  Some PGs have a part forward facing balcony - are these cabins of choice?

I should not have thought a forward facing balcony was agreeable as it would get the full force of the wind whenever the ship is moving.

4 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Thanks - seems to be the views; will be looking at relative prices of PGs to QGs when they come out, but thinking of ways to save a few ££; PG v QG, P2 v P1, travel agent v Cunard direct...

There is Britannia Club of course, but liked QG on QM2

Just the long thin shape of those PGs I'm not totally sold on!

We had a Vista P1 once, and honestly never again because of the narrow, claustrophobic shape - and indeed the short balcony. Even though the Q4s are a lot more, we think they are worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I should not have thought a forward facing balcony was agreeable as it would get the full force of the wind whenever the ship is moving.

Ah, good point. Those ones on the corner (e.g. 4089, 4092)...was thinking for the views in the fjords.

Anything on those two 4095 and 4097?

image.png.5dab25acaaebfc199c79de14b9961ae4.png

17 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Ah, good point. Those ones on the corner (e.g. 4089, 4092)...was thinking for the views in the fjords.

Anything on those two 4095 and 4097?

image.png.5dab25acaaebfc199c79de14b9961ae4.png

That little equilateral triangle means they are wheelchair accessible, so you probably can’t book them.

• Like 1

4095 & 4097 are definitely accessible cabins, and cannot usually be booked by those with full mobility.

Avoid 4092 & 4089 with the curved balcony as this reduces its size, other wise deck 4 is fine. We would never book deck 8 PG under the buffet area.

Our favourite position is aft facing in QG!

• Like 1

We have always chosen deck 5 in P2 on QV/QE all I would recommend is dont choose 5100 as directly opposite is the entrance to inside area and staircase and access point for staff. Dont hear much noise except for last night when they are taken suitcases down ready for disembarkation on last night. Dont know if there is a door on both sides of ship or on other decks.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1