Should I amend, cancel or just not pay for my cruise?

Jrey1515

I have recently unfortunately had to cancel my upcoming cruise with RC. I have a £300 non-refundable deposit down with them and in order to not lose out on that completely, was told I can amend the cruise date to another cruise but was told by them it would cost £75pp & an additional £50pp thereafter...£250! I asked then if I could cancel and they told me it would be a £50 cancellation cost...

So would just not showing up save me all this bother?

7 hours ago, Jrey1515 said:

I asked then if I could cancel and they told me it would be a £50 cancellation cost...

I'm not sure if I understand this.

Are you saying if you cancel, RC will keep the £300 deposit and also charge you £50 for cancelling?

When do you sail?

Anyway, according to the UK Government website:

"

If you cancel the contract, the business is generally only entitled to keep or receive an amount sufficient to cover their actual losses that directly result from your cancellation (eg costs already incurred or loss of profit).

Businesses must take reasonable steps to reduce their losses (eg by re-selling the goods or services).

Non-refundable deposits should only be a small percentage of the total price.

Cancellation charges must be a genuine estimate of the business’ direct loss."

I'm no expert but it seems to me you could challenge RC on the basis the deposit is more than their actual losses and assuming the cruise is more than 90 days away, they still have sufficient time to sell your cabin.

JMHO, but please let us know how you get on.

8 hours ago, Jrey1515 said:

So would just not showing up save me all this bother?

If you mean not show up at the port, it wouldn't actually get that far. When your balance is due you may be contacted by your agent or cruise line. If you refuse to pay it, then your cruise will be cancelled and they will keep your deposit.  You'll need to read the cruiseline's T's&C's as to whether you will still need to pay the £50.