Cruise Ending in Whittier

Hi all, 

We've been looking at Alaska cruises (2023) that start in Vancouver and end in Whittier.  The arrival time in Whittier is listed as 12:30am. We've never seen this time for a debark before and had a few questions for the Veterans who've used this port in the past. (We're doing our research, but I figured I'd ask here in the hopes people could steer us in the right direction from the start)

What time would they allow you to debark if you walked off? 

Regarding shuttles/transfers is there anything available that time of day to either a hotel or the Anchorage airport? (there would have to be right?)

Would we be better off planning to stay at a hotel the day we get off the ship and fly home the next day, or is it actually possible to leave the same day?

Thanks in advance for any help

10 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

We've been looking at Alaska cruises (2023) that start in Vancouver and end in Whittier.  The arrival time in Whittier is listed as 12:30am. We've never seen this time for a debark before and had a few questions for the Veterans who've used this port in the past. (We're doing our research, but I figured I'd ask here in the hopes people could steer us in the right direction from the start)

What time would they allow you to debark if you walked off? 

Regarding shuttles/transfers is there anything available that time of day to either a hotel or the Anchorage airport? (there would have to be right?)

Would we be better off planning to stay at a hotel the day we get off the ship and fly home the next day, or is it actually possible to leave the same day?

Thanks in advance for any help

The day prior to Whittier is scenic cruising in Prince William Sound, so the ship docks in Whittier early morning, while pax are sleeping. Disembarkation doesn't start upon the berthing.

From Whittier you require transportation through the tunnel to get to Anchorage, which is about 60 miles. We have always done R/T back to Vancouver, but disembarkation started at the usual time, with most pax taking cruise line buses into Anchorage. In our experience, most pax flew out the same day, but staying overnight or a few days is possible.

If you wanted to disembark upon the early morning arrival, you would have to arrange that with the cruise line/ship and arrange your own transportation, as walking/cycling through the tunnel is not permitted.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

If I remember correctly there is one hotel in Whittier.  There is also a nice train that goes to Anchorage.  

FYI, the tunnel is one way, they switch directions periodically.

If you haven't done it before you should really take some time to see Alaska, i.e., what some call a land portion.

• 3 weeks later...

They start disembarking cruise tours at around 6 am.

I would go to sleep like normal the last night of the cruise and then do a cruise line transfer to Anchorage in the morning (7 or 8 am). Most flights leave Anchorage in the evening. You can spend your day walking around Anchorage and then get your flight. I believe they will hold your luggage for you at the Egan Center.

The reason they dock so late is that the last day is viewing of College Fiords which is right near Whittier.