Somewhat "Live" - Nov 19th Oosterdam 31-Day SA Cruise - Miami to Buenos Aires

GeorgeCharlie

On 12/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

Hi Mary,

In Lima we did 3 tours with Tours By Locals. The Night of Lights, the evening we arrived, a tour of the City of Lima on the 2nd day, and then a tour to some Inca ruins outside Lima on the 3rd day.

I'll try and cover some of the tour features within this review, but as an overview we found Lima to be rather boring. Apparently, the reason the ship spends so much time in Lima, is to provide enough time for people to go to Machu Pichu.

We are doing this reverse itinerary in March.  What TBL guide did you use in Lima?  We have booked with TBL on our second day going to the ruins outside the city but have nothing booked for the first day and trying to decide what to do and which guide to use.  We are using Alfredo for the second day but he is already booked for the first day.  Thank you posting all of this.  It really gives us an idea on what to expect.

16 minutes ago, mfanderso said:

We are doing this reverse itinerary in March.  What TBL guide did you use in Lima?  We have booked with TBL on our second day going to the ruins outside the city but have nothing booked for the first day and trying to decide what to do and which guide to use.  We are using Alfredo for the second day but he is already booked for the first day.  Thank you posting all of this.  It really gives us an idea on what to expect.

We used two guides Alfredo & Abel. We found Abel to be a much better in communication skills and knowledge, and overall a more pleasant guide. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 6:27 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

At the start of the second segment of the cruise in San Antonio, the COVID/Masking rules again were to wear masks for the first three days, then COVID test on the fourth day. Did notice a much reduced wearing of masks on the first day and by the third day the number of masks were reduced down to likely the people who would be wearing mask throughout the cruise. Indications are that there was an increased number of people who tested positive this time, but no real information has been released. Our room attendant says no one in his 29 cabins tested positive.

Are they providing the masks or are we expected to bring our own?

4 hours ago, CSTX Mom said:

Are they providing the masks or are we expected to bring our own?

At the terminal in Miami and at time of embarkation, the ship supplied masks. Did not see them handing out masks while onboard, but masks may have been available at Guest Services. 

• Thanks 1

Well, it's 5am Dec 13th and I've decided to try to do a quick "current-day" report when I can and then fill in with past port visits if when I have the opportunity. 

Last night we were 3 1/2 hours late leaving Punta Arenas. About an hour after we were to depart, and while we were still at anchor, the Captain announced that they had received an error message on the ship's condition and that we would not be departing until they solved the problem.

He also announced that heavy seas were expected during our overnight sailing and to "batten-down the hatches" as such, by making sure anything may fall off tables/desks were safely stored and to be very careful when we were walking about the ship. So far I haven't noticed anything other then an odd rolling when passing through some swells. But, the heavy seas could be still coming, as we have not received any update on what's happening since his initial announcement last evening. Will likely hear more about how things are during his regular 8am announcement. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

George, by chance are you doing a Patrick Watts tour in the Falklands?  If so, we would be very interested in your tendering report.  Enjoy Punta Arenas and Ushuaia!

Will not be taking one of the 4x4 vehicle tours to Volunteer Point. Plan on taking a helicopter to Volunteer Point to see the King penguins and to also go to another site to see Rockhopper penguins. 

Cape Horn Memorial to all the sailors lost at sea in trying to sail around the Horn.

Cape1.jpg.1915b1d8f978506a82dc7b75b1963656.jpg

Infamous for churning seas and wicked winds, this passage is one of the apex predators of the maritime world. It’s believed that more than 10,000 seamen have perished “rounding the horn.” The sculpture was designed by Chilean sculptor José Balcells Eyquem in 1992 and depicts an albatross in flight—the seafaring symbol for souls lost at sea. 

• Like 2

Looks like you got a nice break in the weather as you cruised by Glacier Alley.  How were the seas going around the Horn?  We're on the March reverse trip. Have the cruising days around the Horn area been "discretionary"?  We have 3 scenic cruising days between Ushuaia and Puerto Montt - and I was guessing that the captain could vary the order of where we go depending on weather etc.

Yes, the weather for the trip to the Horn was not that bad. Understand it's common procedure to issue warnings to passengers to expect heavy seas, as there can be sudden, unexpected changes in winds and waves.

It seems that we did not actually sail around the Horn. What cruise ships, which are not sailing across the Drake Passage, do is just sail down to a point offshore of where the naval station and Memorial are, then do a 360 with the ship, so everyone gets a chance to see the sights, then a 180 and sail back north.

Our sailing through Glacier Alley was adjusted due to having to make up time because of our delay leaving Punta Arenas. What I heard was, normally the ship will stop in front of each major glacier, do a 360 to allow everyone a view of the glacier. We just cruised by each glacier at full speed (20+ kts). Fortunately, our cabin was on the side where the glaciers were. So we could just sit in the comfort of our cabin and then quickly jump out on our veranda to take pictures. Cruising along at 20+ kts and 10C temperature is rather chilly!!

• Like 4

On 12/13/2022 at 3:29 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

Will not be taking one of the 4x4 vehicle tours to Volunteer Point. Plan on taking a helicopter to Volunteer Point to see the King penguins and to also go to another site to see Rockhopper penguins. 

George thank you for sharing all these - we board next week.  We, too, are doing the helicopter tour.  We were warned that the avian flu might mean a change in plans - I'm assuming so far it's smooth sailing (or flying?) for you on that front?

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the tour.  We've asked to see the Elephant Seals in lieu of the Rockhoppers.

19 hours ago, alwayscruisetime said:

George thank you for sharing all these - we board next week.  We, too, are doing the helicopter tour.  We were warned that the avian flu might mean a change in plans - I'm assuming so far it's smooth sailing (or flying?) for you on that front?

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the tour.  We've asked to see the Elephant Seals in lieu of the Rockhoppers.

The helicopter trip is outright fantastic!!

Tom, his wife, and brother are working very hard to get their operation back up to speed after COVID and it shows in the way they work with their customers. Whereas, people who take the 2 1/2 hour 4x4 trip out to Volunteer Point, are just dropped off in the parking lot. Where they are told they are free to go and see the penguins on their own, but be back in the parking lot in 1 1/2 hours.

In our case, Tom parked the helicopter on a nearby rise, then gave us a detailed tour for over an hour. He was born and raised in the Falkland Islands. Thus, he has an exceptional knowledge of all the different type of penguins and of Falkland Islands. He gave us an ongoing commentary of the history of the Islands as we were flying over them. Including, which families owned parts of the Islands (also most all of the Islands are privately owned), the history of some of building scattered around the islands. He also few over some on the battle fields of the Falkland Islands War, explaining how the battles were fought and pointing out various battle damage.

I don't know how you could receive a better introduction to the Falkland Islands in such a short space of time available during a cruise ship visit.

We found the Rockhopper penguins to be the most interesting of the four types of penguins we saw.

• Thanks 4

19 hours ago, alwayscruisetime said:

We were warned that the avian flu might mean a change in plans - I'm assuming so far it's smooth sailing (or flying?) for you on that front?

Everyone coming from the ship is required to walk through a foot bath when they arrive onshore. At the airport, you have to do the same thing prior to boarding the aircraft and when you return to the airport.

In our case the effect was that originally we were to go to Volunteer Point and then stop on the way back to see the Rockhopper penguins. Now, you can not go directly from one colony of birds, to another, without first getting re-sanitized. This meant we had to return to the airport, get re-sanitized, then go on to the next stop. One of the advantages of this - was we got more sightseeing of the Islands.

If the Internet allows it, I'll try and post some pictures.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Everyone coming from the ship is required to walk through a foot bath when they arrive onshore. At the airport, you have to do the same thing prior to boarding the aircraft and when you return to the airport.

In our case the effect was that originally we were to go to Volunteer Point and then stop on the way back to see the Rockhopper penguins. Now, you can not go directly from one colony of birds, to another, without first getting re-sanitized. This meant we had to return to the airport, get re-sanitized, then go on to the next stop. One of the advantages of this - was we got more sightseeing of the Islands.

If the Internet allows it, I'll try and post some pictures.

Bill, I enquired about helicopter about a year out and was already booked out.  Did all the passengers show up.  Was the helicopter full. Could I do a walk up. 

9 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Bill, I enquired about helicopter about a year out and was already booked out.  Did all the passengers show up.  Was the helicopter full. Could I do a walk up. 

Hi Mary,

I'd try contacting them again and see if there has been any changes. They seem to be accommodating and if they can fit you in, I'm sure they'll try. 

The trip out to Volunteer Point takes the most time, whereas, the Rockhopper trip is shorter. In our case, as there was only 2 of us (max 3 passengers), his brother (Bill) came with us and gave Lynne & I the tour, while Tom made two more trips bringing 3 people each time. My understanding is that fitting the two additional tours in was somewhat a trial exercise to see if it would work. The other six people were very appreciate of being able to at least get out and see some penguins. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, StartrainDD said:

George, by chance are you doing a Patrick Watts tour in the Falklands?  If so, we would be very interested in your tendering report.  Enjoy Punta Arenas and Ushuaia!

Fortunately, the weather for the Falklands, was considered nice for our visit yesterday. Mixture sun, clouds, and an odd short shower. Although it was windy, it wasn't all that bad.

The tendering process seemed to go okay. They were to start issuing tender tickets at 8am (same time as we were to arrive). I went down about 45 minutes early and when they started handing out tickets just before 8am, I  had no problem getting tickets and we were on the 2nd tender going ashore.

The tender ride took about 25 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the September/October 2022 Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska and Panama Canal cruises there were no outside lecturers or commentators....only the Cruise Director reading a script and a presentation in the Main Stage with Information and history of Alaska and the Canal.  Those were OK but not the same experience I've had previously with a local expert or guest subject matter lecturer.  I really miss having enrichment lecturers on all cruises.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

On 12/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, soccermom4 said:

Do you have a naturalist or someone like that on board to provide commentary of the Panama Canal, glaciers etc.?

Yes, we had an excellent person who provided running commentary on many sights during cruise.

Presently sitting at Buenos Aires airport waiting our delayed Air Canada flight, so I do not have info on his name (Jim) or bio. Will update once I get home - whenever that may be.