Which of the following cabins would you choose?

Stockjock

Assume you were on a winter sailing (chilly).  Which of the two balconies would you choose?

A. Partially obstructed balcony on the 8th deck.  Similar to the one shown in the video below.

Advantages:

Huge balcony, 3 times wider than a normal balcony and deeper too.

Slightly less expensive.

Good location.

Disadvantages:

Partial obstruction from lifeboat.

Possibly less privacy from overhead decks (although a portion is covered).

Even though balcony is huge, wintery European weather might mean less time spent on the balcony.

B. Unobstructed balcony decks 9-11.

Advantages:

Unobstructed with a better view.

Disadvantages:

Smaller balcony.

Slightly more expensive.

Which would you choose?

Here's a video of option A:
https://youtu.be/dmzgZa6q1QU

Edited by Stockjock

20 minutes ago, Tierun said:

You can’t go wrong either way. Preferably unobstructed, but the bigger balcony would be better if it had loungers instead of regular chairs.

I was just in one of those. I said if they put loungers on these OV  larger balconies they could charge almost as much as a regular balcony and I would pay it 

3 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

I was just in one of those. I said if they put loungers on these OV  larger balconies they could charge almost as much as a regular balcony and I would pay it 

What did you think of it?  The price actually isn't a lot less than a standard, unobstructed balcony.  I agree with you and @Tierun that a balcony that large deserves loungers, at a minimum.

My Meraviglia OV balcony on deck 8 was less wide than the video but definitely deeper than the other decks.( Same class of ship as Bellisima.)  We liked the space. I was 8089. It didn’t bother us too much that we were visible to those above us. Deck 8 is convenient to the action below. We heard some noise  from the music at night but not enough to bother us at all. I slept fine. My neighbor did not, the music bothered him. I have a review called “ A Small Ship Girl’s….” With pictures of the view from a standing and sitting position. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

My Meraviglia OV balcony on deck 8 was less wide than the video but definitely deeper than the other decks.( Same class of ship as Bellisima.)  We liked the space. I was 8089. It didn’t bother us too much that we were visible to those above us. Deck 8 is convenient to the action below. We heard some noise  from the music at night but not enough to bother us at all. I slept fine. My neighbor did not, the music bothered him. I have a review called “ A Small Ship Girl’s….” With pictures of the view from a standing and sitting position. 

Found your review.  The lifeboats aren't horrible, but yes, they are a bit intrusive.

During a summer cruise, I'd probably go for the larger balcony. I'll used my suitcase to give my legs a rest while reading a book. The life boats aren't in front of you, so I don't think it's that bad. They don't block the view of the horizon, just the water. On many other ships partially obstructed view really means largely obstructed view (unless you find the white of a lifeboat an interesting view, or you might be lucky when you can look in between two lifeboats). During a winter cruise, or similar weather, I'd probably go for the cheapest (in this case the same balcony?), since I wouldn't use it that often anyway. Might even consider no balcony at all if the price is right. As long as I have daylight, I'm good.

When available, I always book "the larger balcony at a discount price".  What view are you obstruting....water?

If it's a winter cruise...do you really need privacy.

Of course, it it's a winter cruise, do you really need a balcony, a large balcony at that?

It'd make my decision based on "cabin convenience" to other venues and the price.

And if it's good weather, and you make friends....a nice spot for entertaining!

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

When available, I always book "the larger balcony at a discount price".  What view are you obstruting....water?

If it's a winter cruise...do you really need privacy.

Of course, it it's a winter cruise, do you really need a balcony, a large balcony at that?

It'd make my decision based on "cabin convenience" to other venues and the price.

And if it's good weather, and you make friends....a nice spot for entertaining!

My GF and I are not really very social.  We do tables for 2 and pretty much stick to ourselves.  The last time we shared a table with a couple, they apparently changed tables because we didn't share the same political views (obviously, I am always polite and non-challenging, but they brought up the subject).

But otherwise, I understand your points.

In chilly weather, I would go with the larger obstructed view. save a few bucks, too. You may be out there less. IMHO there's not much difference in partially obstructed and full view. I/we don't spend a lot of time looking down at the water. The benefit for us is, more room/appearance of room, fresh air with solitude, morning coffee outdoors, stars at night, etc. I've been on both obs and full, many times, and there is little difference. First time I did obstructed view, I admit, I grumbled about the lifeboat to my long suffering DW, then quickly changed that attitude. 🙂  Lately we always book a balcony for the above reasons.